Jaffka's gossip thread on the ins and outs at the 'Bok

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Jaffka's gossip thread on the ins and outs at the 'Bok

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Worrying thing is though.. This is our 'future'..

And the future looks bleak
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:Fraizer Campbell... One league goal since August 2010
yes, very odd. I can deal with the idea of an established player coming back & getting selected after 5 games, but he isn't established. Glad for him he's returning to football after 2 serious injuries, but no idea why he's in this squad.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:33 pm

Ee scored a skillz goal in da cup innit
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Thats a very depressing squad from a "wanting England to do well" point of view...
s'just a friendly squad though... what do you learn by picking lampard and ferdinand? presumably the point is simply to have a look at some new/different combinations - it's not as if this is the actual Euro squad...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:54 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Thats a very depressing squad from a "wanting England to do well" point of view...
s'just a friendly squad though... what do you learn by picking lampard and ferdinand? presumably the point is simply to have a look at some new/different combinations - it's not as if this is the actual Euro squad...
I'm not bothered about Lampard and Ferdinand.

As BB says, this is picked with the "future" in mind *gulp*.

And its not a criticism of the pick, just of the general quality we have available.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:10 pm

thebish wrote:
Exactly, as I've just written for the day job.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:30 am

And let's not forget that according to Stuart Pearce - picking a football side's not a proper job. He's crawled under floorboards, don't you know?! :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:10 pm

I read today that Fulham are going to sign Mahamadou Diarra until the end of the season, why have we not gone in for him he's a free agent for FFS! :conf: and yes he's fit before anybody asks. 30yrs old plenty of experience at the top and he is a very good holding midfielder who can win a ball then pass it to a white shirt, cost Real Madrid 22m a few yrs back. You don't pay that sort of money for shit!
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:19 pm

We don't have the money.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:We don't have the money.
I'm sure we could of got him until the end of the season, that wouldn't cost alot considering the wages we will free up with our shite going to championship clubs until the end of the season.
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Perhaps I could go one further and suggest we don't have the money of Fulham.

But my hunch would be that we still don't have any extra slack in the system.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 am

See if Allardyce was in charge he'd not have signed Sordell would he?

But probably would have gone after Diarra on a deal till the end of the season. Which would have been cheaper no doubt than Sordell.

I think rather than it being as simple as "we don't have the money" its a case of a policy to invest in younger players, for re-sale value. Which makes sense....

Until you get to the point we're in and who would be more likely to keep you up and therefore save the club 40 odd million quid?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
But probably would have gone after Diarra on a deal till the end of the season. Which would have been cheaper no doubt than Sordell.

I think rather than it being as simple as "we don't have the money" its a case of a policy to invest in younger players, for re-sale value. Which makes sense....

Until you get to the point we're in and who would be more likely to keep you up and therefore save the club 40 odd million quid?

And if my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle.

Is Sordell shit, then? 'Cos I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. I'm guessing you have?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:37 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Is Sordell shit, then? 'Cos I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. I'm guessing you have?
Come, come, Enfield. BWFC_Insane knows all there is to know about everything. At least attempt to keep up ;)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:41 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm not saying that.

Its all about what you need at a particular time. We need to stay up. I'm merely posing the question as to whether a youngster like Sordell or a more experienced player like Diarra is more likely to make the impact to keep you up.

Allardyce would have gone for the experience, Coyle for the youth.

Both have shown to work to varying degrees in the past. I think there is a balance to strike between short and long term.

So far as a club IMO we haven't managed to get that balance right.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm not saying that.

Its all about what you need at a particular time. We need to stay up. I'm merely posing the question as to whether a youngster like Sordell or a more experienced player like Diarra is more likely to make the impact to keep you up.

Both have shown to work to varying degrees in the past. I think there is a balance to strike between short and long term.

If we had signed Diarra on a short term deal we would probably have had to pay a massive salary to him. If we are relegated he would be able to walk away at the end of the season.

With Sordell we have the option of keeping him to maintain a strong (young) squad in the Championship or sell him for a (likely) improved fee in the Summer.

IMO that's better business.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:06 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm not saying that.

If we had signed Diarra on a short term deal we would probably have had to pay a massive salary to him. If we are relegated he would be able to walk away at the end of the season.

With Sordell we have the option of keeping him to maintain a strong (young) squad in the Championship or sell him for a (likely) improved fee in the Summer.

IMO that's better business.
I don't think going down and losing 40M quid is ever going to be better business than retaining premiership status. IMO.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:10 am

I don't think going down and losing 40M quid is ever going to be better business than retaining premiership status. IMO.[/quote]

I didn't say it was. I said signing Sordell was better business than signing Diarra.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: I don't think going down and losing 40M quid is ever going to be better business than retaining premiership status. IMO.
You appear to be applying the same logic there that says winning the play-off final is worth £60m

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:14 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:I don't think going down and losing 40M quid is ever going to be better business than retaining premiership status. IMO.

I didn't say it was. I said signing Sordell was better business than signing Diarra.[/quote]

My point being that in the position we are, the only thing that should matter IMO is which is more likely to make the biggest impact in helping us stay in the top flight.

Anyhow its a circular argument so........