Season expectations

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Season expectations

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:02 pm

I'd play N'gog and Sordell.

In fact, I'd play one of them with 5 behind them. But if we insist on playing 4-4-2. This would be our best option.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:It doesn't really matter what my opinions of the players we have are, although FWIW I don't subscribe to the view that dropping down a division is the equivalent of sticking Fifa on 'Amateur' mode.

The thread is about season expectations (well it's actually about some fella who'll never post again plugging his site, but beyond that), and there's no reason to expect anything other than success. Three teams get promoted and we have advantages that are only shared by two other sides in the division (both of whom we finished above last season).

In 10/11 our wage bill was £46mil (I think) and the biggest in the Championship was £29.7mil (QPR, who won the league), only three teams had a wage bill of over £20mil. Ours will have dropped significantly, but surely not to that degree.
By 50% I seem to recall our infallible chairman (not our fallible manager) saying.

Which, with some rudimentary maths, would put us somewhere below last season's winners.
It would - but I think last season's winners had a higher wage budget than us this season just gone too. In 2010/11 we were comfotably over £50m - I think the number is out by a factor of about £10m - £56m rings a bell (Deloittes report I posted had us above 50)

So half £56 and you're at £28m. The year QPR got promoted they significantly outstripped the division in wages. Blackpool when they got promoted had a bill of about £7m iirc (which increased to about £25m the year they were in the Prem).

At 50%, Owen Coyle should have more than enough in his wage budget to not warrant that as an excuse for non-promotion. Newcastle halved theirs too when they went down (and actually had a lower wage budget than us in 2010/11) - but then again so did Stoke and West Brom, Fulham and Everton about the same too - all of whom finished above us in 2010/11.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:It doesn't really matter what my opinions of the players we have are, although FWIW I don't subscribe to the view that dropping down a division is the equivalent of sticking Fifa on 'Amateur' mode.

The thread is about season expectations (well it's actually about some fella who'll never post again plugging his site, but beyond that), and there's no reason to expect anything other than success. Three teams get promoted and we have advantages that are only shared by two other sides in the division (both of whom we finished above last season).

In 10/11 our wage bill was £46mil (I think) and the biggest in the Championship was £29.7mil (QPR, who won the league), only three teams had a wage bill of over £20mil. Ours will have dropped significantly, but surely not to that degree.
By 50% I seem to recall our infallible chairman (not our fallible manager) saying.

Which, with some rudimentary maths, would put us somewhere below last season's winners.
It would - but I think last season's winners had a higher wage budget than us this season just gone too. In 2010/11 we were comfotably over £50m - I think the number is out by a factor of about £10m - £56m rings a bell (Deloittes report I posted had us above 50)

So half £56 and you're at £28m. The year QPR got promoted they significantly outstripped the division in wages. Blackpool when they got promoted had a bill of about £7m iirc (which increased to about £25m the year they were in the Prem).

At 50%, Owen Coyle should have more than enough in his wage budget to not warrant that as an excuse for non-promotion. Newcastle halved theirs too when they went down (and actually had a lower wage budget than us in 2010/11) - but then again so did Stoke and West Brom, Fulham and Everton about the same too - all of whom finished above us in 2010/11.
*awaits scrabbling around for any imaginary figures or excuses that can be used to mitigate any potential failure*

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:18 pm

*awaits the slow dawning realisation that the original figure was revised up when it didn't fit the argument*
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:33 pm

*awaits the slow dawning realisation that the figure wasn't revised up to fit an argument, it was revised up because it was incorrect.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:34 pm

To be fair, I did only say that I thought it was £46mil.

Says £56mil here - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UtKqtHp_qbA/T ... League.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:37 pm

I refer the honourable member to BWFCi's post, which he may have missed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I refer the honourable member to BWFCi's post, which he may have missed.
What are you on about? I'm still waiting for you to tell me what Readings wage bill was last season that you claim ours of roughly 28M is going to be "well below"?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:09 pm

<Head crashes through screen at the futility of it all>

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I refer the honourable member to BWFCi's post, which he may have missed.
What are you on about? I'm still waiting for you to tell me what Readings wage bill was last season that you claim ours of roughly 28M is going to be "well below"?
I believe in was somewhere in the order of £136 billion.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:18 pm

The Hon Member didn't miss the very perceptive post from the Hon Member BWFCI. The Hon Member took the view that whilst the post from the Hon Member BWFCI quoted this Hon Members post, it was actually directed at a different Hon Member whose rudimentry maths had asserted that we had less in the pot than the Championship winner from the season before last and that this figure was probably, in the light of the new and accurate figure quoted still less, but not by much and therefore shouldn't really be useable as an excuse for piss poor performance and non-promotion. The Hon Member that posted the original figure has now himself revised that figure as a result of new information that has just come to light and that he in no way knew about previously.

So to re-cap, this Hon Member believes that the present Manager has enough cash in the operational expense pot for it not to be an impediment in these days of austerity and taking into account the prevailing economic climate. And that unless the Chancellor requires to hold an emergency Budget prior or during the up and coming season, then the Manager should have sufficient funds at his disposal, taking into account the level of previous Capital investment he's had, for money not to be at the heart of any unsuccessful promotion bid.

All in favour please say Aye.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Bloody hell, I've not the time or patience to respond to that, so I'll just use my TW parliamentary privilege to say "yah, boo sucks". And hope this resolves the matter.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Bloody hell, I've not the time or patience to respond to that, so I'll just use my TW parliamentary privilege to say "yah, boo sucks". And hope this resolves the matter.
Just say Aye! it's a sure fire winner.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:32 pm

I always used to laugh when they asked for the eyes to one side and the nose to the other.The truth spoilt it a bit.

I still think my ways best.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I always used to laugh when they asked for the eyes to one side and the nose to the other.The truth spoilt it a bit.

I still think my ways best.
:D

I think I've met her, she's from Wiggin.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:The Hon Member didn't miss the very perceptive post from the Hon Member BWFCI. The Hon Member took the view that whilst the post from the Hon Member BWFCI quoted this Hon Members post, it was actually directed at a different Hon Member whose rudimentry maths had asserted that we had less in the pot than the Championship winner from the season before last and that this figure was probably, in the light of the new and accurate figure quoted still less, but not by much and therefore shouldn't really be useable as an excuse for piss poor performance and non-promotion. The Hon Member that posted the original figure has now himself revised that figure as a result of new information that has just come to light and that he in no way knew about previously.

So to re-cap, this Hon Member believes that the present Manager has enough cash in the operational expense pot for it not to be an impediment in these days of austerity and taking into account the prevailing economic climate. And that unless the Chancellor requires to hold an emergency Budget prior or during the up and coming season, then the Manager should have sufficient funds at his disposal, taking into account the level of previous Capital investment he's had, for money not to be at the heart of any unsuccessful promotion bid.

All in favour please say Aye.

Aye.
Pfffft.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:00 am

After a great deal of thought I've decided to be blindly pessimistic and no amount of facts will shift me from my position until season end ... should we manage to complete the season.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:45 am

bobo the clown wrote:After a great deal of thought I've decided to be blindly pessimistic and no amount of facts will shift me from my position until season end ... should we manage to complete the season.

SHHHHHEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT. Never enve thought of that one! Domed. Coyle out.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:07 am

Worthy4England wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:After a great deal of thought I've decided to be blindly pessimistic and no amount of facts will shift me from my position until season end ... should we manage to complete the season.

SHHHHHEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT. Never enve thought of that one! Domed. Coyle out.

amateur!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:05 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

amateur!
I'm still practising! :D