owen out 2012/2013

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: owen out 2012/2013

Post by BL3 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm

truewhite15 wrote:An example. 2003/04 season under Allardyce, we lost something like five in a row over Christmas. We nicked a draw in the last minute vs West Brom (thanks Dioufy) around New Year, and then won in the last minute next time out vs Birmingham. The run we went on then took us to the Carling Cup final. Perfect example of a good manager being able to get to grips with a poor run, halt it, and turn it around. Can you ever see Coyle managing something like that?
We twice lost six in a row under Allardyce. Few managers would have survived one run like that, let alone two. But patience paid off. I think even Allardyce would admit there's a fair amount of luck involved in turning around a bad run. If it was all down to managerial ability, we wouldn't have been on a run like that to start with.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:35 pm

BL3 wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:An example. 2003/04 season under Allardyce, we lost something like five in a row over Christmas. We nicked a draw in the last minute vs West Brom (thanks Dioufy) around New Year, and then won in the last minute next time out vs Birmingham. The run we went on then took us to the Carling Cup final. Perfect example of a good manager being able to get to grips with a poor run, halt it, and turn it around. Can you ever see Coyle managing something like that?
We twice lost six in a row under Allardyce. Few managers would have survived one run like that, let alone two. But patience paid off. I think even Allardyce would admit there's a fair amount of luck involved in turning around a bad run. If it was all down to managerial ability, we wouldn't have been on a run like that to start with.
Totally different though, in that Allardyce had taken us from near the bottom of the championship to the premiership despite losing virtually an entire side, kept us there when virtually nobody gave him a cat in hells chance brought Djorkaeff, Okocha in etc.

When we had bad runs under him we'd already banked good points earlier in the season.

Those bad runs we're not indicative of a wider trend. They happen to all sides, but come the end of every season Allardyce was never being questioned.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:44 pm

I think people so want Coyle to work out as manager, that they're just willing to give him chance after chance, even when all available evidence says it's not going to work. It's the ultimate doomed relationship.

It's Coyle-esque in it's outlook. He plays Davies, gradually realises he isn't up to it, drops him, he'll come on off the bench once and score and he's back in the team. Months of evidence that he's not good enough wiped out by one incident. It'll be the same for Coyle with the fans if we win on Tuesday.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Totally different though, in that Allardyce had taken us from near the bottom of the championship to the premiership despite losing virtually an entire side
Coyle kept Burnley up in his first season and got them promoted the season after, despite them having one of the lowest budgets in the Championship. Not to mention getting them to an away goal of a League Cup final. I'd say that's comparable to what Allardyce acheived in the Championship with Bolton.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:53 pm

BL3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Totally different though, in that Allardyce had taken us from near the bottom of the championship to the premiership despite losing virtually an entire side
Coyle kept Burnley up in his first season and got them promoted the season after, despite them having one of the lowest budgets in the Championship. Not to mention getting them to an away goal of a League Cup final. I'd say that's comparable to what Allardyce acheived in the Championship with Bolton.
Yes but to be quite frank, nobody cares what Coyle did at Burnley. It's becoming apparent that he does well for while, until people realise his positivity and the momentum he creates has nothing of substance behind it. Almost the polar opposite of Allardyce.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:27 pm

BL3 wrote:
the-Bowtun-Warrior wrote:
BL3 wrote:
the-Bowtun-Warrior wrote:Clearly his shocking managerial ability and record isn't enough.
He doesn't have a 'shocking managerial record'. Far from it.
Bolton Wanderers record under Coyle: P 115 W39 D22 L54 W%33.91

It's pretty pants at Bolton.
That's enough for me.
So pretty much the same win percentage as Allardyce had at Bolton then...
No, Allardyce had a win percentage of 41%.

Not that I like win percentages because it neglects draws. If you consider league games only then Allardyce has a considerably higher ppg ratio than Coyle.

And so does Megson.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:35 pm

Whookam wrote:No, Allardyce had a win percentage of 41%.
He had a win percentage of 35% with us in the Premier League.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:46 pm

BL3 wrote:
Patience paid off because Allardyce had earned it. Coyle has done no such thing. He gained a great deal of "patience" by doing so well in his first full season with us, up to April. He burned up a considerable amount of it by guiding us so poorly in the Wembley aftermath. The rest evaporated in the shambles that was last season. To say that he's even starting back at square one this season is being very, very generous. He's got quite a bit of recovering to do, and he's gotten off to the worst possible start by looking considerably second best against Burnley.

People will always point to the fact that we were patient with Allardyce, or United were patient with Red-Nose, as reasoning for why we should be patient with Coyle. The fact is that he has not done anything to earn this patience, except being a former player. And those mentioned above hadn't gone through more than a season of exceptionally shite results before people were calling for "patience".

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:51 pm

truewhite15 wrote:The fact is that he has not done anything to earn this patience, except being a former player
Total nonsense.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:54 pm

BL3 wrote:
Look at what you're actually saying. Coyle takes over, instils positive mentality, boosts morale. Morale carries them through season #1, and season #2. Even a defeat to Spurs can't halt it, cos, hey, they were expected to lose anyway. Morale carries them all the way into the top flight, where things start to go pear shaped. Just as the Burnley plane starts to nosedive, Coyle jumps across to BWFC.

He instils positive mentality, boosts morale. Morale carries us through the rest of season #1, keeping us up, and the vast majority of season #2. We reach the semi-final, a game we expected to win, especially having beaten the same team a mere month or so earlier. We lose. Morale is shot to pieces. The Bolton plane nosedives. "Shit" says Coyle, "this is something new..."

There aren't any other planes to jump to. Coyle is suddenly sitting at the helm, and realising that he's got no effing idea how to fly. Flagship BWFC is plummeting towards the ground at a vast rate of knots, and unless we get a proper pilot in, we're gonna smash into tiny pieces when we hit.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:55 pm

BL3 wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:The fact is that he has not done anything to earn this patience, except being a former player
Total nonsense.
And your differing opinion is? What has Coyle done, while being with Bolton Wanderers, not what he's done at Burnley, to warrant our patience for 18 months of sheer, uninterrupted, unadulterated shite, the likes of which we've not seen in nearly 20 years?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Whookam wrote:
BL3 wrote:
the-Bowtun-Warrior wrote:
BL3 wrote:
the-Bowtun-Warrior wrote:Clearly his shocking managerial ability and record isn't enough.
He doesn't have a 'shocking managerial record'. Far from it.
Bolton Wanderers record under Coyle: P 115 W39 D22 L54 W%33.91

It's pretty pants at Bolton.
That's enough for me.
So pretty much the same win percentage as Allardyce had at Bolton then...
No, Allardyce had a win percentage of 41%.

Not that I like win percentages because it neglects draws. If you consider league games only then Allardyce has a considerably higher ppg ratio than Coyle.

And so does Megson.
No Megson doesn't - think Megson was at about 1.08, Coyle at 1.07...something around there.

Allardyce's PPG is on a different planet, than Coyle's.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Fcuk me
owens even resorted to arguing with fans on the forums

Heres a starter for ten owen, will you solve the powder puff midfield or right footed left back first?

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:34 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Total nonsense.
And your differing opinion is? What has Coyle done, while being with Bolton Wanderers, not what he's done at Burnley, to warrant our patience for 18 months of sheer, uninterrupted, unadulterated shite, the likes of which we've not seen in nearly 20 years?
Haven't we been relegated 3 times in 16 years? The other relegations were a load of shite without the best players being injured.Bolton isn't a club that competes financially with most in the Premier League and that's what happens

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:40 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Fcuk meowens even resorted to arguing with fans on the forums
Where's this Dibble ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:52 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Fcuk meowens even resorted to arguing with fans on the forums
Where's this Dibble ?
Hang on, dont get excited, it needed a #sarcasm...I was referring to BL3 who seems to have his head stuck in the sand somewhat.

Im like a broken record this weekend. See what happens Tuesday, but its too near to get them fit, let alone have a tactical epiphany. Come on you white men. etc.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I think people so want Coyle to work out as manager, that they're just willing to give him chance after chance, even when all available evidence says it's not going to work. It's the ultimate doomed relationship.

It's Coyle-esque in it's outlook. He plays Davies, gradually realises he isn't up to it, drops him, he'll come on off the bench once and score and he's back in the team. Months of evidence that he's not good enough wiped out by one incident. It'll be the same for Coyle with the fans if we win on Tuesday.
Interesting, although I think there's a weariness and wariness along with the willingness.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:I don't think the feeling will ever reach megson levels... [...]
Coyle can be as shoite as a big pile of shoite - but I doubt the abuse will ever reach megson levels - because it is not "personal" in the same way - Coyle is not perceived to have contempt for the fans - he's just perceived as being shoite at his job... and that's different.
Indeed. It's a different situation. Like Sammy Lee never received abuse, didn't mean folk thought he had a clue.
Feels like Charlie Wright. Chirpy wave of optimism, players love it, early success, lack of structure, drift, crash, failure, please leave. Not in a barrage of hatred and smashed car windows, just a doleful that-didn't-work-out-but-please-leave-now air of (heh!) resignation.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Feels like Charlie Wright. Chirpy wave of optimism, players love it, early success, lack of structure, drift, crash, failure, please leave. Not in a barrage of hatred and smashed car windows, just a doleful that-didn't-work-out-but-please-leave-now air of (heh!) resignation.
Charlie Wright. Bless him.

If there'd been a 'bleep' machine used each time he said fck or cnt there'd have been claims for industrial deafness !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:01 am

I have to admit that I have backed OC up to this point, we did need to start bringing in the kids to survive we do not have the resources to keep buying in new players year after year without racking up massive debts. He has said from the beginning that he wants us to play from the back pass and move, great this is also what I want!

Unfortunately my patience has run out 2 years later we are still lumping the ball up to S?KD only now he is not winning the flick on and we are not winning the 2nd ball anymore. This season I thought great he will have to play the kids and we will see the pass and move he has been banging on about since he joined. I went to Burnley in anticipation of a new dawn, only for OC to deliver kick and rush to KD.

My question is not should we get rid but when will he go and who will take over? We still need to change our style, football has moved on we need to play pass and move to have a chance.

Who will be the next manager of Bolton Wanderers??

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:16 am

Norpig wrote:I have to admit that I have backed OC up to this point, we did need to start bringing in the kids to survive we do not have the resources to keep buying in new players year after year without racking up massive debts. He has said from the beginning that he wants us to play from the back pass and move, great this is also what I want!

Unfortunately my patience has run out 2 years later we are still lumping the ball up to S?KD only now he is not winning the flick on and we are not winning the 2nd ball anymore. This season I thought great he will have to play the kids and we will see the pass and move he has been banging on about since he joined. I went to Burnley in anticipation of a new dawn, only for OC to deliver kick and rush to KD.

My question is not should we get rid but when will he go and who will take over? We still need to change our style, football has moved on we need to play pass and move to have a chance.

Who will be the next manager of Bolton Wanderers??
Dean Holdsworth. YHIHF