The breaking News thread...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The breaking News thread...

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:26 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: With you on all that. I just don't quite understand why we're going into admin instead of paying the tax. (Is that the case?)
Our Eddie, does NOT like paying his taxes does he?!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:27 am

plymouth wanderer wrote:How much are the Warburtons worth? fecking fortune I'd imagine. Why haven't they bailed us out?
Only half a billion

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:28 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:

Exactly. He is making sure he is not out of pocket from all of this. Doubt anyone will ever prove it, but it is hard to explain why a guy writing off 175m is insisting that he gets a seperate 3m loan paid in full. Doesn't add up.
I imagine because the bulk of the money he invested came from loans via his other businesses or sale of other business.

The 3M is described as a "personal loan" which perhaps means was directly money from his own personal accounts.
Yes - I've lent you X (which I don't want back), I'll also be able to lend you Y (but I want that bit back).

As for the holidaying in Barbados "scandal" - ED almost certainly isn't negotiating any sale although he may well have set the terms - that's what Trevor Birch is getting paid for. If I sell my house, I still go on holiday and shit. It's not that I don't care, it's that I've employed someone else to see it through for me.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:37 am

boltonboris wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:How much are the Warburtons worth? fecking fortune I'd imagine. Why haven't they bailed us out?
Only half a billion

Apparently it's around the 750 million mark!

fecking disgusting what it has come to!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:46 am

throwawayboltonian wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Only half a billion

Playing devil's advocate, is it really so easy for Brett to take money out of Warburton's and put it into Bolton wanderers? I'm not a business owner so I have no idea, but I'd imagine it's a bit of a grey area, or at the very least difficult, to take money out of one business (with other invested parties) and putting it into another struggling venture.
Well he already has by the sounds of it..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:53 am

boltonboris wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Only half a billion

Playing devil's advocate, is it really so easy for Brett to take money out of Warburton's and put it into Bolton wanderers? I'm not a business owner so I have no idea, but I'd imagine it's a bit of a grey area, or at the very least difficult, to take money out of one business (with other invested parties) and putting it into another struggling venture.
Well he already has by the sounds of it..
That may well have been his own money. He has invested in other businesses. But that does not mean he has ready access to cash from the business to loan to the club or that he has the personal wealth to keep the club afloat.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:That may well have been his own money. He has invested in other businesses. But that does not mean he has ready access to cash from the business to loan to the club or that he has the personal wealth to keep the club afloat.
Nor does it mean the family themselves have access to it, even if they decided over the Xmas sherry to vote for a different turkey. That worth will partly be tied up in assets. I guess they could borrow against those assets but really, why would they borrow against the family silver to prop up someone else's mess?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:That may well have been his own money. He has invested in other businesses. But that does not mean he has ready access to cash from the business to loan to the club or that he has the personal wealth to keep the club afloat.
Nor does it mean the family themselves have access to it, even if they decided over the Xmas sherry to vote for a different turkey. That worth will partly be tied up in assets. I guess they could borrow against those assets but really, why would they borrow against the family silver to prop up someone else's mess?
100%
Having said that, the Warbies always like being seen as attached to the club but in the past never liked putting money in.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:16 pm

Hoboh wrote:
100% Having said that, the Warbies always like being seen as attached to the club but in the past never liked putting money in.
They can't. They gave it all to Sylvester Stallone. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:17 pm

They've been involved at board level for the thick end of a century. They've been unpopular at times but none of us complained when the latest Warbie whacked in £2m to keep us afloat.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:34 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:The not so suspicious part of me says it's bad management. When some poor schmuck gets in over their heads and nips along to Citizens Advice they say make a list of your outgoings and then order them ranked by importance, and when said schmuck sticks weekly beer allowance (a dozen a day) £250 at number one, and mortgage down at number twenty two out of twenty six the Citizen Advice chappy kindly points out how to overcome their debt problems.
I'm wondering, what did the fella actually say?

:wink:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:46 pm

Enoch wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:The not so suspicious part of me says it's bad management. When some poor schmuck gets in over their heads and nips along to Citizens Advice they say make a list of your outgoings and then order them ranked by importance, and when said schmuck sticks weekly beer allowance (a dozen a day) £250 at number one, and mortgage down at number twenty two out of twenty six the Citizen Advice chappy kindly points out how to overcome their debt problems.
I'm wondering, what did the fella actually say?

:wink:
Three a fxcking day. Cheeky monkey.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:54 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote: :lol: Although by all accounts (with my line of work I know some people at EA) he was a very good senior civil servant who actually worked his bollocks off, in spite of the bandwagon of media hate that would lead you to believe otherwise. He'd been lobbying MPs for increased flood defences for years, and defended them against significant cuts earlier this year (if it was anything like ours). He just happened to be visiting family for christmas, as his wife is from the Caribbean, during the worst rain December has seen in recorded history. Whether he took too long to return is up for debate, but he wasn't exactly hiding from it either. I'm more concerned about out of touch MPs ignoring expert advice regarding our flood defences (amongst other topics).
You've obviously not been keeping up with the scandal. Three press releases gave out misleading information, which he'd approved via email suggesting firstly that he was just 'at home' at Christmas, then later, that his wife was from the Caribbean where this family home in Barbados was.
She's from Jamaica, over three hundred miles away and three hours flight from Barbados. The 'family home' is a villa they've purchased recently as a holiday home. Neither of them have any connection to Barbados whatsoever apart from they had a wonderful holiday there and therefore decided to buy a luxury villa in the location.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:02 pm

midlands exile wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:I can never prove this, and I know many doubt it, but Eddie is not out of pocket from his time at the club and he is now grabbing every last penny he can realistically get. This is all part of his plan.

BWFC is his plaything, he doesn't care one bit about the fans.
I would disagree, ED has always treated the club as an investment / business, not a plaything where he's cheerfully thrown money around. The commercial rates of interest, the offshore holding companies, the washout of the original shareholders, the switch to a private limited company...

And before anyone mentions his gallant wiping of the "big debt", his attitude towards the much smaller personal loans (which must be paid back to him) strengthens my suspicions that the £170m wasn't a true figure.
I'm sure ED's had his accountants make sure he does as well as he can out of it (which might better be put as "loses as little money as possible from it"). I'm also sure his accountants didn't recommend BWFC as the best investment for his money.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 pm

when did this 48hr clock actually start ticking? (or - when does it actually tick down to zero?)

presumably at that point, the news will start breaking in a spectacular fashion!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:32 pm

thebish wrote:when did this 48hr clock actually start ticking? (or - when does it actually tick down to zero?)

presumably at that point, the news will start breaking in a spectacular fashion!
Look, you're in charge of the Breaking News thread, if you don't know, we're fecked.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:35 pm

Breaking news...Bish knows fvck all!

Is that breaking News? or old news? :wink:
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:46 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Breaking news...Bish knows fvck all!

Is that breaking News? or old news? :wink:
It's a disappointment after your promotion year transfer thread, I can tell you. Proper let down.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:48 pm

I thought a panic fanny might know... but when they're needed they are off hiding behind a cushion, or summat...

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:51 pm

thebish wrote:I thought a panic fanny might know... but when they're needed they are off hiding behind a cushion, or summat...

Touched a nerve!