Where are they now? - Mark Patterson

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Where are they now? - Mark Patterson

Post by sluffy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:08 am

Our ex-players turn up in many odd places.

Possibly the lowest point in our clubs entire history was the 4-0 tonking we suffered at Scarborough in our fourth division days - well guess who is the Head Coach (manager) there these days?

Mark Patterson

Tigerish midfield player who starred for Bolton as they made their way up the divisions in the 1990's. Patterson was well known in the North West circuit due to his spells with other clubs notably Blackburn, Preston and Bury. He missed out on Wembley in 1995 and was sold some months later.

Full Name: Mark Andrew Patterson

Born: 24th May 1965, Darwen, Lancashire, England

Position: Midfielder

Nationality: English

International Honours:

Club Honours: Full Members Cup 1987

Signed From: Bury, January 1991, £65,000

Sold To: Sheffield United, December 1995, £300,000 + Nathan Blake

Former Clubs: Blackburn Rovers, Preston North End, Bury, Bolton Wanderers, Sheffield United, Southend United (loan), Bury, Blackpool (loan), Southend United, Leigh RMI, Scarborough, Chorley, Scarborough

Coaching Career: Leigh RMI (Player/Manager), Scarborough (Coach), Chorley (Manager), Scarborough (Manager)

Bolton Debut: 12th January 1991 versus Bradford City (A), Division 3

First Goal: 1st March 1991 versus Tranmere Rovers (A), Division 3

Thanks to the Manny Road site for the background details -

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s474/st80524.htm

http://www.scarboroughfc.com/squad/player.php?id=133

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:23 am

I started supporting Bolton in 1991 and Mark Patterson was in that group of players those days - Tony Philishave, David Reeves, Scott Brown, Julian Darby, Mark Winstanley, Seagraves, Phil Brown, etc. Ahh, the good old days!

But I never liked Mark Patterson, I thought he was bobbins and he did my head in. I used to go and see Bolton a few times with my Dad and we used to always say Patterson had another bad game.

Again a brilliant post, I love these trips down memory lane.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:13 pm

jimmy cleared it , WHYYYYY !!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:30 pm

Remember him cocking up v oldham in the cup the pillock, and missing a pen in a shoot out? saw him step up and knew he would miss. think it was a league cup game v norwich? was a good battler but wasnt a great footbballer

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:37 pm

officer_dibble wrote:was a good battler but wasnt a great footbballer
He was as good at football as Sonia was good at singing - i.e. bobbins.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:39 pm

for a lower league player he was ok
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Pete
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Pete » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:49 pm

cowdrill wrote:for a lower league player he was ok
He was fine at the time, he's okay by me!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:56 pm

Pete wrote:
cowdrill wrote:for a lower league player he was ok
He was fine at the time, he's okay by me!
Absolutely. He served his purpose perfectly well. Won the ball and laid it off. A thousand attacks were launched on the back of Mark Patterson's unstinting breaking up of play in the middle of the park. We could've done with his sort at Old Trafford a few weeks ago! :roll:

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:05 pm

isnt he a bit like David Thompson?

but .....miles better?! :mrgreen:
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:17 pm

Bad news!

Mark Patterson declared bankrupt

Mark Patterson, aged 42, also made more than 200 league and cup appearances for Bolton Wanderers between 1991 and 1996 after signing from Bury in a £65,000 deal.

He stepped down as manager of debt-ridden non-league side Scarborough FC in May when the club said it could no longer afford to pay him.

The 128-year-old Conference North side went into liquidation last month.

Patterson, of Schofield Street, Darwen, filed for personal bankruptcy at Blackburn County Court after he was unable to pay off debts.

He came through the ranks as an apprentice at Blackburn Rovers before signing for Bury, via a brief spell at Preston.

Patterson gained a reputation as a tenacious midfielder during his 45 games at Bury before becoming a regular at Wanderers.

He later played for clubs including Sheffield United, Southend and Blackpool before managing non-league Chorley and Leigh RMI and going into business.

An insolvency notice issued by the court said Patterson had been a company director and was involved in a firm called Pro-active Soccer Schools.

He was officially declared bankrupt under the Insolvency Act 1986 at a private court hearing last month.

A spokesman for Blackburn County Court said she could not reveal the extent of Mr Patterson's debt because the hearing had been held in private.

She said: "Mr Patterson declared himself bankrupt as he could not pay his debts.

"He is a landscape gardener and was formerly carrying on business as Pro-active Soccer Schools and as a company director.

"It was a private hearing so I cannot say anything else."

http://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/shaker ... nkrupt.php

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Idiot Wind » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:17 pm

nice person.

That pass to Darren Beckford broke my heart as a kid.

nice person.
Eyes right foreskins tight, bollocks to the front
We're the boys who make no noise, we're only after c**t
We're the heroes of the night and we'd rather f**k than fight
We're the heroes of the Bolton Fusiliers.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:05 pm

I always liked Mark Patterson - did a good job winning the ball for Tony Kelly. And don't forget, when we signed him, he was a "tricky" winger - it was Rioch who seemed to convert him into a ball-winning midfielder.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:00 pm

I always liked Patty and had the pleasure of bumping into him once...I was well pi***d on a Sportsmans do and punched him in the middle and said 'f**k me Patty you were my f***in hero at Burnden park!', at first he did'nt know what to do! He did'nt know if I was attacking him or being friendly, soon settled down and we had a good chat about the good days as he said!

What a player and what a team we had then!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:41 pm

I liked Gizmo. Always seemed to be a picture of him in the BEN launching his feet at the chest of an opponent.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:28 pm

I think the saddest thing about this story is the gulf that now clearly exists between what our players earn now and what they earned just a few years ago. I dare say Patterson was never one of our big earners, but even so, you would have thought he'd have earned enough to make himself reasonably comfortable.

A landscape gardener?? How the mighty have fallen. For some funny reason though, perhaps cos he was a personal boyhood idol, I don't have the same sympathy towards him as I do towards Neil Whatmore, caretaker of a primary school in Rochdale.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Where are they now? - Mark Patterson

Post by jaffka » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Now the first team coach at Accrington Stanley.