Where are they now? - Michael Ricketts

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Where are they now? - Michael Ricketts

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:I seem to recall it was more about him wanting to join a "bigger" club when Boro came sniffing. I do agree that we made a decent wedge out of the tosser.

Stopped bothering for us as soon as he started believing the press that Spurs were sniffing. I recall we sold him at about two minutes to midnight on transfer deadline day to 'Boro.

Best bit of business we've done, apart from Anelka and Hamman.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Read here for an interview with Ricketts in a Middle Eastern paper. I know the journo, he admits it was difficult to write as the background checks he did revealed very differing opinions on the man.
Well, the journo was interviewing Michael Ricketts & so he has Michael Ricketts' sanitised version there ... of course.

But Mr R seems to be full of excuses and of course it's always injuries, lack of communication etc.

Taking you right back Bolton ex[pressed an interest and he & his then agent used that as a chance to get signed by others. He seemed never to really, quite, fancy Bolton. It took an age to get him to put pen to paper.

Obviously things went well & he scored for fun for a couple of years.

He first showed he was beginning to believe his own publicity in a 12.30pm Saturday interview on the BBC Football programme. Just as he was being touted for an England cap, they did a feature about him & his new flat (in Birmingham, btw) and he prattled on about how he thought he was destined for greater things. Allardyce tied him to a new contract & I recall him having a stinker & missing a on-on-one (against 'Boro, oddly) which, to be fair, he'd previously been a nailed-on to score.

He never really played well for us (& so, anyone) again. He went to the England squad camp & came back clearly very phased. He'd obviously been tapped up. Spurs were the likely ones & Hoddle made enquiries. He decided to piss about at training as Allardyce told him he'd just signed a new contract & so needed to settle down.

He ended up dropped & training wth the youth players for a while. He was obviously playing Mexican Standoff with the boss as he pushed to be released. I the January I seem to recall him being brought on from the bench & more or less strolling about until he himself was subbed within about 20m.

Hoddle never firmed up his interest, but Middlesbrough did & yes, he signed v v close to the deadline.

Whatever he says about managers not knowing his style of play must be taken with a pinch of salt. Fitness .... well tat was always a propblem with him. He fails to mention to extraordinary lengths Sam & his fitness team went to to get him properly fit. That cearly was never done elsewhere.

It want from bad to worse and he must be the prime example of a player who should have understood that it was working where he was & should have stayed. Maybe a lesson to many other wannabe's.

Anyway, he'd still had 100x more success in the game than any of us & I remain jealous, just so sad to see the waste of talent.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:13 am

What a W*NKER!!!!!!!!!

He should be shot and no one on here should praise himor we will sound like barcodes ala Barton.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -22799256/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:01 am

“The victim accepts there was a certain element of provocation.”

There is no justification for what Ricketts did.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:14 am

Still doesnt' get it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:23 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Hoddle never firmed up his interest, but Middlesbrough did & yes, he signed v v close to the deadline.
ISTR Spurs were interested but they way they did business irked Gartside & Allardyce so much that Boro became the preferred bidder.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:55 pm

Aye, I thought we turned down the £7.5m bid Spurs put in in the summer. Pity, in hindsight we should have ripped their bloody hands off.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:02 am

Best finisher I've seen playing for us (*)

Never ever thought he'd miss for a season or two

* I saw Byrom but don't really remember him clearly enough
Sto ut Serviam

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Hoddle never firmed up his interest, but Middlesbrough did & yes, he signed v v close to the deadline.
ISTR Spurs were interested but they way they did business irked Gartside & Allardyce so much that Boro became the preferred bidder.
Good Lord, the way they did business irked Allardyce? Did they want to pay us in Nazi gold?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:47 pm

Hmmm I doubt that.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:26 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Good Lord, the way they did business irked Allardyce? Did they want to pay us in Nazi gold?
You do understand, fully, how distastseful/offensive that is, don't you? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Ex-Bolton star and England international Michael Ricketts told a court he was “really sorry” for headbutting and punching his girlfriend after an argument in a restaurant.

The striker was celebrating his 32nd birthday when the row erupted in Amba Bar in Hale, Cheshire, reports the BBC.

The court heard that the pair, who remain a couple, had been drinking when they began talking about past relationships. The argument continued outside and before Ricketts punched and head-butted his girlfriend, who fell to the floor.

Ricketts said, “I’m very disappointed about what happened and what it led to. I’m really sorry. Conversation stirred up a lot of emotions.”
:shock:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:13 am

thebish wrote:
Ex-Bolton star and England international Michael Ricketts told a court he was “really sorry” for headbutting and punching his girlfriend after an argument in a restaurant.

The striker was celebrating his 32nd birthday when the row erupted in Amba Bar in Hale, Cheshire, reports the BBC.

The court heard that the pair, who remain a couple, had been drinking when they began talking about past relationships. The argument continued outside and before Ricketts punched and head-butted his girlfriend, who fell to the floor.

Ricketts said, “I’m very disappointed about what happened and what it led to. I’m really sorry. Conversation stirred up a lot of emotions.”
I wonder if it went something like "your as bad in the sack as you turned out to be at football" that kicked it off? :mrgreen:

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:25 am

Still one of the best one-on-one finishers I've seen for a while.

If only Elmander was half the striker Ricketts was - a terrible waste of talent.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:

I wonder if it went something like "your as bad in the sack as you turned out to be at football" that kicked it off? :mrgreen:
Or "you might have felt you're too big for Bolton but I have my doubts as you're not nearly big enough for me."

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Or, '' Do you know how you were a terrific scorer, and part of your effectiveness was your ability to shoot early? Well, it's not ALWAYS a good thing.''

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Or, '' Do you know how you were a terrific scorer, and part of your effectiveness was your ability to shoot early? Well, it's not ALWAYS a good thing.''
Or, "When Trotters fans say, 'You're the biggest cock, an Arse like Wenger and a great pie eater', shouldn't actually make you feel good." 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Hoboh wrote:I wonder if it went something like "your as bad in the sack as you turned out to be at football" that kicked it off? :mrgreen:
Doubtlessly the lazy bastard will have her on top doing all the work, justifying it with "I'm here to finish". :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way