The Munich match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:32 pm

First name on the sheet has to be Nolan.

The captain is back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:00 pm

Gary Megson wrote:We have not come here to try and keep the score down and we will not be going for a 0-0 as we are not particularly good at that aspect of the game. While it is more advantageous to have a full squad to pick from, you have just got to cope with injuries and you have have to try and remain positive.
Kinda good and kinda scary, that quote... I like the positivism, bit scared about the not "going for a 0-0 as we are not particularly good at that aspect of the game"... confused actually... isn't that kinda your job sir, given that you've said you can't tell 'em owt about attacking? Still, trying to look on the bright side, it's not a defensive mindset...

Anyway, here's the squad according to Aunty Beeb...
Jaaskelainen, Michalik, A O'Brien, Gardner, Guthrie, Nolan, Speed, Alonso, Davies, Al Habsi, Samuel, Teymourian, Braaten, Giannakopoulos, McCann, Cid, Sinclair, Sissons.
From that, I'd go:

.....................Davies....................
Guthrie, Nolan, Teymourian, Stelios
...................Speed.......................
Gardner, Michalik, O'Brien, McCann
...............Jaaskelainen.................
Subs: Al Habsi, Sinclair, Cid, Samuel, Sissons, Alonso, Braaten.

Seems about the best fit with just the one wrong 'un - the experienced McCann at right-back. However, that would mean giving the possibly rusty Ando a start bang in the middle, while question marks remain over Speed's ability to play the holding role.

Given that JLS has shown absolutely no indication whatsoever of backing up the rumour that he could play right-back, I fear we may see AOB shifted to right-back, and then we'll learn how important he's become in the middle when Michalik and Cid are paired against a startlingly good attack; that would allow McCann to shore up the midfield (probably in the hole with Speedo nudging forward at Ando's expense). Wouldn't surprise me, either, if JLS came in at left-back with Gardner pushed forward, leaving it summat like this:

..................Davies..................
Gardner..Speed..Nolan..Guthrie
................McCann..................
Samuel...Cid...Michalik...O'Brien (A)
..............Jaaskelainen..............
Subs: Al Habsi, Sinclair, Sissons, Teymourian, Alonso, Stelios, Braaten.

We'll see...

Mansell Way
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Mansell Way » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:13 pm

jaaskelainen
Gardner o'brien michalik mccann
Wilhelmsson Nolan Guthrie Alonso Braten
Davies

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:17 pm

Mansell Way wrote:jaaskelainen
Wilhelmsson Nolan Guthrie Alonso BratenDavies
???
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:24 pm

I reckon Andranik could do a decent job at right back, a bit like Owen Hargreaves, but perhaps this isn't the match to find out (though he might have as much experience in the position as McCann).
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:44 pm

They've got Ribery and Ze Roberto in their midfield, amongst other choices. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mansell Way
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Mansell Way » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mansell Way wrote:jaaskelainen
Wilhelmsson Nolan Guthrie Alonso BratenDavies
???
oh damn :oops:

Bigzippy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Bigzippy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:23 pm

The term "Bugger" springs to mind over this game. Thinks if we agree it the Munich before the game we can have "On the spot" keepers? Will save some of our blushes. Still Europe is a side show for those of you going I recomend the Paulaner beer (having been for the fest this year) and if your in down town munich in the day hed to the RatsKeller for a quick beer as its great!

Bigzippy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Bigzippy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Gary Megson wrote:We have not come here to try and keep the score down and we will not be going for a 0-0 as we are not particularly good at that aspect of the game. While it is more advantageous to have a full squad to pick from, you have just got to cope with injuries and you have have to try and remain positive.
Kinda good and kinda scary, that quote... I like the positivism, bit scared about the not "going for a 0-0 as we are not particularly good at that aspect of the game"... confused actually... isn't that kinda your job sir, given that you've said you can't tell 'em owt about attacking? Still, trying to look on the bright side, it's not a defensive mindset...

Anyway, here's the squad according to Aunty Beeb...
Jaaskelainen, Michalik, A O'Brien, Gardner, Guthrie, Nolan, Speed, Alonso, Davies, Al Habsi, Samuel, Teymourian, Braaten, Giannakopoulos, McCann, Cid, Sinclair, Sissons.
From that, I'd go:

.....................Davies....................
Guthrie, Nolan, Teymourian, Stelios
...................Speed.......................
Gardner, Michalik, O'Brien, McCann
...............Jaaskelainen.................
Subs: Al Habsi, Sinclair, Cid, Samuel, Sissons, Alonso, Braaten.

Seems about the best fit with just the one wrong 'un - the experienced McCann at right-back. However, that would mean giving the possibly rusty Ando a start bang in the middle, while question marks remain over Speed's ability to play the holding role.

Given that JLS has shown absolutely no indication whatsoever of backing up the rumour that he could play right-back, I fear we may see AOB shifted to right-back, and then we'll learn how important he's become in the middle when Michalik and Cid are paired against a startlingly good attack; that would allow McCann to shore up the midfield (probably in the hole with Speedo nudging forward at Ando's expense). Wouldn't surprise me, either, if JLS came in at left-back with Gardner pushed forward, leaving it summat like this:

..................Davies..................
Gardner..Speed..Nolan..Guthrie
................McCann..................
Samuel...Cid...Michalik...O'Brien (A)
..............Jaaskelainen..............
Subs: Al Habsi, Sinclair, Sissons, Teymourian, Alonso, Stelios, Braaten.

We'll see...
Just make sure you send this team to our Ginger saviour and we may just keep it respectable.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:45 pm

You look at the options after a couple of injuries and just despair at the wasted summer when Lee thought it ok to ignore defensive frailties in favour of speedy midfielders he'd spotted on you tube, who show no sign of hacking it in a team near you any time soon...

But, you know, even though I fear a monumental tonking to come in Munich, though I'm having a fiver on us to win - despite the incredulous laughter of a bunch of wiser and younger men of my acquaintance - a bit of me doesn't actually care, even if that happens...

This is what matters...

We are Bolton Wanderers. We are playing Bayern Munich in Europe Competition and not their reserves in a pre-season walkaround.

We earned the right to be there.

We cross the line together. Both teams.

We line up at 0-0. Equals. Bayern Munich v Bolton Wanderers. Competing.

I have seen us play at Port Vale and Carlisle. At Stockport and Darlington. At Walsall and Bristol Rovers. And loved a lot of those days as well.

But, a few hours from now...

I shall feel really proud. Really, really proud. And so am kicking myself that I'm not there.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:54 pm

It's not too late - get in the car now, start it, and drive. You'll be there for kick-off. Plus, I know someone who has a spare ticket in the Bolton section and I know somewhere you can stay for free.

:D
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:03 am

it's a shame cos a line up with diouf, anelka and campo would have stood half a chance. and seeing as le sulk has moaned about playing in champions league games this was as close a test as he'd have got

i think we'll lose but feck it

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:54 am

Whatever team we are able to put out we are on a hiding to nothing so the players should go out and give it a go and enjoy the experience. No one outside of Bolton expects us to win or even get a point, and not many from Bolton expect such a result either.

So as Megson says as we can't keep clean sheets at present we may as well go with as an attacking formation as possible, even so we will be lucky to score without Anelka and even luckier to keep them to less than 3. Also give some of the squad players a chance.

Al Habshi
Cid, O'Brien, Michalik, Gardner
Nolan, Guthrie, Andranik
Davies, Braaten, Stellios
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:09 am

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/article/636

Preview by Tango and, erm, this man:

Don't mention the war!

gaz_nt
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by gaz_nt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:33 am

William the White wrote:First name on the sheet has to be Nolan.

The captain is back.
YES!! Nobby to score the winner 1-2 to the white army!!

... wel you've got to be optimistic haven't you! lol
Friend first, Boss second... Probably an Entertainer third!

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:39 am

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

I'm scared and proud in the same moment. Will be hiding behind the sofa for 90 minutes - at least will get to see a lot of Jussi in action.
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:10 am

Gertie wrote:IF you can keep your head when all about you

I'm scared and proud in the same moment. Will be hiding behind the sofa for 90 minutes - at least will get to see a lot of Jussi in action.
Be a good night for you Gerts, what with him bending over to pick the ball out the net all the time :wink:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:23 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Be a good night for you Gerts, what with him bending over to pick the ball out the net all the time :wink:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that. :D
Businesswoman of the year.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:54 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that. :D
if Cid is at CB I suspect we'll be crying then laughing :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:04 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

This morning's Mirror (I know...) says Juicy will be rested, reinforcing (without repeating) the earlier suggestion by Ali Al-Habsi's brother.

One other thing: here's an opportunity to see what life will be like when, as folk seem to insist, Anelka and Diouf ride their high horses into the sunset (and of course Jussi sits in the stands at St James' Park counting his last pay-packet).