The Munich match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BoltonFan1983
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BoltonFan1983 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:44 pm

Al Hasbi and Andranik need more Preimership games, I hope their performances swayed the coach a bit in that direction.
"One year I played 15 months" - Beckenbauer Franz

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:48 pm

Just finished watching now - had the game on 45 mins behind.
Absolutely made up about this. Superb performances all round, particularly considering we didn't have Anelka, Diouf and Jussi. :pray:
Businesswoman of the year.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:51 pm

I wonder how Jussi will feel about the outstanding performance Al Habsi put in tonight.

Get that contract signed Jussi...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:51 pm

hoboh2o wrote:What they are saying on Munichs site (sorry if already posted)

http://www.fcbayern.t-com.de/en/news/ma ... 5edf5a45d4
Not sure about "only the keeper Al Habsi stood between Bayern and a more convincing scoreline". He made one excellent save and had a good game, but a lot of the stuff he kept out was fairly regulation. It's not as if he was pulling out world-class save after world-class save...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:56 pm

Proud of the lads tonight. To a man they fought and ran their legs off. Thanks lads :D

As for that Ribery, fookin hell, bit special tonight, almost felt sorry for him when he didn't score...almost :mrgreen:

palexjones
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palexjones » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Not sure about "only the keeper Al Habsi stood between Bayern and a more convincing scoreline". He made one excellent save and had a good game, but a lot of the stuff he kept out was fairly regulation. It's not as if he was pulling out world-class save after world-class save...
Yeth but he did make 2 world class saves among the regulation stuff and I thought there was not much he could do about the 2 that went in. Cerainly makes me feel better with regard to all the Jussi speculation and may stop the malicious hacks scoffing with all their Jussi speculation.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:09 pm

palexjones wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Yeth but he did make 2 world class saves among the regulation stuff and I thought there was not much he could do about the 2 that went in. Cerainly makes me feel better with regard to all the Jussi speculation and may stop the malicious hacks scoffing with all their Jussi speculation.
You got a lithp? what I meant was a lot of their dominance resulted in <insert> belting a 20 yarder over the bar....

palexjones
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palexjones » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
palexjones wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

You got a lithp? what I meant was a lot of their dominance resulted in <insert> belting a 20 yarder over the bar....
Point taken, still chuffed to bits fueled by a few celebratory beers so I did'nt read your post properly and thought you were avin a pop at the lad.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Not sure about "only the keeper Al Habsi stood between Bayern and a more convincing scoreline". He made one excellent save and had a good game, but a lot of the stuff he kept out was fairly regulation.
That'll be regulation stuff as in being chucked in, in European competition, in front of a live crowd of 60,000 (his last live crowd having been about 250?) against one of the finest teams in the world? In front of the world's television cameras? Yeah! Cock on there, Worthy! For feck* sake :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:25 pm

Excellent battling performance. SKD led from the front, despite pulling a good chance wide and ballsing up a chance to slip the excellent Guthrie in, he can be very very proud, and so can we. Nolan recalled his best and while I'm not entirely sure setting up SKD was his first intention, he'd done very well to get that far. Promising cameo from Ando was typical of a night all the available squad pulled together brilliantly. Well done to all, including Gary Megson and the coaching staff, who switched things round intelligently. Special mention to Al-Habsi, who repaid the manager's trust and will have given food for thought to Jussi, Peter Harrison and indeed Megson: one swallow and all that but should we break the bank if Harrison's asking for the moon on a stick?

As has been said, debate for another day. Enjoy being a Wanderer, and let's kick on. Three defeats in 12 since the nadir at Birmingham and if we start turning draws into wins we could go into the January transfer window in a much stronger position than we thought. Ooh aah, ooh aah, proud to be a Wander-ah!

DSB

PS: for all the ref-baiting, he could easily have given Bayern a penalty in the first half when McCann (who battled as manfully out of position as he did when restored to his natural habitat) took away some bloke's legs while backing up Michalik.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Not sure about "only the keeper Al Habsi stood between Bayern and a more convincing scoreline". He made one excellent save and had a good game, but a lot of the stuff he kept out was fairly regulation.
That'll be regulation stuff as in being chucked in, in European competition, in front of a live crowd of 60,000 (his last live crowd having been about 250?) against one of the finest teams in the world? In front of the world's television cameras? Yeah! Cock on there, Worthy! For feck sake :roll:
Sorry Worthy, but goes for me too about Ali Absi. 65,600 and a great turn out for the Whites. Magic stuff and one save that reminded me of Gordon Banks from Pele. Magic stuff. Can't wait to ge to work. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

palexjones
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palexjones » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:29 pm

Did anybody else think they could hear megson shouting early on in the second half? - I watched it on Chan 5

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:32 pm

palexjones wrote:Did anybody else think they could hear megson shouting early on in the second half? - I watched it on Chan 5
Aye, fxcking Lubo was fxcking getting a fxcking bxllocking for not fxcking getting fxcking back!! :mrgreen:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:33 pm

palexjones wrote:Did anybody else think they could hear megson shouting early on in the second half? - I watched it on Chan 5
Yep, CWE mentioned it - "Mikel! F*ckin' hell!!". Perhaps it was coincidence or tactical (Gardner switching with McCann had left us with a midfield short on width) but five minutes later Alonso was off for Stelios... :wink:

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
That'll be regulation stuff as in being chucked in, in European competition, in front of a live crowd of 60,000 (his last live crowd having been about 250?) against one of the finest teams in the world? In front of the world's television cameras? Yeah! Cock on there, Worthy! For feck sake :roll:
Sorry Worthy, but goes for me too about Ali Absi. 65,600 and a great turn out for the Whites. Magic stuff and one save that reminded me of Gordon Banks from Pele. Magic stuff. Can't wait to ge to work. :mrgreen:
Aye, one of the best saves in years and we didn't even get a repeat!

Yet we had to watch Munich's half arsed penalty claim seven bleedin times! :roll:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:42 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote: Aye, one of the best saves in years and we didn't even get a repeat!
Yet we had to watch Munich's half arsed penalty claim seven bleedin times! :roll:
There were several things I'd like to have seen replays of, but it was little Bolton against mighty Bayern. How many times did they show their goals? All's well that ends well. One for the video bank.

What a crazy scenario, Davo at outside left, Ricky G on the right wing and scoring. Half expected Davo to swing in a cross then run in and head it home. What a legend, right back, left back, central defender, right and left wings and scored in the bargain. Give him the freedom of the town. DAVO FOR ENGLAND :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:There were several things I'd like to have seen replays of, but it was little Bolton against mighty Bayern. How many times did they show their goals? All's well that ends well. One for the video bank.
More the host broadcaster's fault than Five's. Did I ever tell you how much I like Colin Murray as a football-show anchor? Nobody's commented on how he tipped us for 2-2 while the self-appointed experts tipped 3-1... :mrgreen:

yorkwanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by yorkwanderer » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:There were several things I'd like to have seen replays of, but it was little Bolton against mighty Bayern. How many times did they show their goals? All's well that ends well. One for the video bank.
More the host broadcaster's fault than Five's. Did I ever tell you how much I like Colin Murray as a football-show anchor? Nobody's commented on how he tipped us for 2-2 while the self-appointed experts tipped 3-1... :mrgreen:
Yeah it would have been a German feed they were playing rather than Five. I'm not sure about Murray but lets face it anyone would look good next to John "the plank" Barnes.
One more outburst like that and I'll send you back to the big leagues

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Yep, CWE mentioned it - "Mikel! F*ckin' hell!!". Perhaps it was coincidence or tactical (Gardner switching with McCann had left us with a midfield short on width) but five minutes later Alonso was off for Stelios... :wink:
Yep - heard it too.

Alonso had been struggling to mark many of Ribery's deeper runs.

Watching Ribery tonight was like watching early Zidane - you KNOW he is going to get the ball, and you KNOW he is going to hurt you - but somehow he still gets the ball in 3 yards of clear space. Again and again. If you were a neutral you would really enjoy it.

So thanks Mr Hitzfeld - the only way I could see us stopping Ribery was to cripple him and get a man sent off.

For all that they seemed to have 75% of possession, our play on the break looked very dangerous - and if we can do that in the PL we could still get close to our usual quota of away wins.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:52 pm

Channel 5 numpty commentator "The referee is having an excellent game..."

My response "Fook off you fookin numpty arsebandtiting nice person"

Always reasoned when watching games!