Wanderers' Badge

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:54 am

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition:

http://www.forl.co.uk/proclamation.html
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:03 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
mofgimmers wrote:There's a problem with any inclusion of the red rose of Lancashire. Sadly, Bolton isn't in Lancashire anymore (I know, I know, it grates me as well). That means our old badges probably wouldn't be considered by the club.

That said, football clubs like to be seen as 'forward thinking' and we've rebranded on quite a few occasions in the past. If the club were thinking about a new badge, they'd want something simple and direct (which usually translates to: 'can kids draw it on their school-bags easily enough?') which is where the '58 crest falls down. The 1877 emblem is not only a neat piece of design, but it also links back to the Bolton town crest and it's also got a nice retro feel about it (and we all like retro stuff... look at the initial jealousy we all had concerning Burnley's kit).

Simply not true.

From an administartive perspective, we are in Greater Manchester. No-one ever moved the Lancashire boundary. And even if I'm wrong, Lancs CCC play in Manchester, nd they use the Red Rose. We can, and we should.

But they also play in Aigburth - it's like admitting your as one with the scousers. :-(

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:10 am

That all said, I've noticed that on the '1877' logo, there's a Lancashire rose on the castle!
Viva La Portable Radio!

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:21 am

Here's the image a little larger.
Viva La Portable Radio!

kissoffboardy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kissoffboardy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:33 am

Mof, mate - that badge pretty much just uses a bit of the Bolton crest, and I'm sure that can still be seen in various civic buildings etc. I say, if it's still everywhere, what's the problem with bringing it back?

Slugs and snails are after me
DDT keeps me happy
Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
That I got no cerebellum.
Gonna get my Ph.D.
I'm a teenage lobotomy.

www.myspace.com/thebloodykissoff
www.myspace.com/savethedog
www.boltonmusic.co.uk

kissoffboardy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kissoffboardy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:36 am

Actually, check this http://www.boltonrevisited.org.uk/a-about-bolton.html

It's not that old with the rose:
The current Arms of Bolton Metropolitan Borough, designed in 1974, incorporated the elephant and castle crest but replaced the Bishop's Mitre with the Red Rose of Lancaster
DDT keeps me happy
Gonna get my Ph.D.
I'm a teenage lobotomy.

www.boltonmusic.co.uk

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:42 am

Aye, the red rose should be in it!

I don't think the old crest is that good an idea though as it doesn't exactly lend itself well to promotion and branding which, whether you like it or not, is a fundamental part of being a football club these days.
Viva La Portable Radio!

kissoffboardy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kissoffboardy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:44 am

Well, if they bring back the elephant, that's a third mascot to milk without having to bring in Mrs. Lofty :mrgreen:
DDT keeps me happy
Gonna get my Ph.D.
I'm a teenage lobotomy.

www.boltonmusic.co.uk

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:57 am

mofgimmers wrote:There's a problem with any inclusion of the red rose of Lancashire.
Whereas very few of us have managed to escape the stampeding elephants of Deansgate! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Acebwfc66
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Wanderers' Badge

Post by Acebwfc66 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:57 pm

tony cunninghams willy wrote:
mofgimmers wrote:Okay, we've had discussions about the badge we've currently got before... and indeed, I call for the return of the old crest or at least, a removable of those dreadful ribbons that make our logo look like a fat headed sperm.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, we've got a range of clothing out at the minute which is pretty tatty (some with an awful TRTS written across to symbolise 'Trotters', but sadly, looking more like 'tarts') but has a half decent badge on it.

To cut a long story short... how about a variant on that for a new BWFC badge for the shirts?
Looks nice and contemporary.

Maybe a suggestion to be put to Danny Reuben at the club???
I have that jumper and its very nice..................but a WHITE ELEPHANT we dont need to help in the pi$$ taking department not with our 6 fingered friends lurking around :D

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:00 pm

The Oakland Athletics mascot is a white elephant.

The story of picking the mascot was started when New York Giants' manager John McGraw told reporters that Philadelphia manufacturer Benjamin Shibe, who owned the controlling interest in the new team, had a "white elephant on his hands", Connie Mack defiantly adopted the white elephant as the team mascot.

Defiance!
Viva La Portable Radio!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
mofgimmers wrote:There's a problem with any inclusion of the red rose of Lancashire. Sadly, Bolton isn't in Lancashire anymore (I know, I know, it grates me as well). That means our old badges probably wouldn't be considered by the club.

That said, football clubs like to be seen as 'forward thinking' and we've rebranded on quite a few occasions in the past. If the club were thinking about a new badge, they'd want something simple and direct (which usually translates to: 'can kids draw it on their school-bags easily enough?') which is where the '58 crest falls down. The 1877 emblem is not only a neat piece of design, but it also links back to the Bolton town crest and it's also got a nice retro feel about it (and we all like retro stuff... look at the initial jealousy we all had concerning Burnley's kit).

Simply not true.

From an administartive perspective, we are in Greater Manchester. No-one ever moved the Lancashire boundary. And even if I'm wrong, Lancs CCC play in Manchester, nd they use the Red Rose. We can, and we should.
Wigan brilliantly however, is not in Lancashire, due to some GM business.

Hmm my first choice would be the elephant (kudos to faninoz for his "one of my favourite animals"-magnificent), but am I the only one who thinks the ribbons were an improvement on the crest before. That like so many of those 'tradintional crests' looks fusty and cluttered. The crest on the shirt Davo is wearing, with BWFC in blcok capitals above, stitched onto a plain white shirt, with a navy collar trim and on the cuffs of the sleeves, navy short, white socks. Yes please mr Kit designer.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

minibus
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by minibus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:45 pm

I seem to remember Gartside being challenged over the badge some time ago, but he was adamant that there would be no change, due to its "established international brand recognition level" or some similar marketing twaddle.

Hopefully he'll be more receptive to the idea now, seeing that he's got some PR ground to make up following his choice of the Megson-era!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Puskas wrote:I like the ribbons.

And a big "No" to the elephants. Whoever won anything with elephants? If you want elephants go to the circus (or hippodrome. Possibly, although they may just have hippos there).

Keep the curly BWFC, keep the ribbons, get rid of the elephants.
Hannibal.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:49 pm

William the White wrote:

And a big "No" to the elephants. Whoever won anything with elephants? If you want elephants go to the circus (or hippodrome. Possibly, although they may just have hippos there).

Hannibal.
... and Bolton Wanderers

Oh, and Coventry City too.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:08 pm

William the White wrote:

Hannibal.
Sod winning stuff, Hannibal was much more in the Wanderer's spirit, of glorious, eventual, defeat.

"So come on old friends to the streets, let's be 1905 but not 1917,
let's be heroes let's be martyrs let's be radical thinkers who never have to test drive the least of their dreams,
let's divide up the world into the damned and the saved, and then ride to the valley like the old light brigade,
and straighten our backs and we won't be afraid and they'll celebrate our deaths with a national parade.

So come on, let's be young, let's be crass enough to care,
let's refuse to live and learn, let's make all our mistakes again, yeah.
And then darling, just for one day yeah we can fight and we can win
and if only for a little while, we could insist on the impossible

Leave the morning to the morning, yeah pain can be killed,
with aspirin tablets and vitamin pills,
But the memories of hope and of glorious defeat,
are a little bit harder to beat"

Or as LK more succinctly puts it, 'F*ck 'em'
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Hannibal Rising was awful though.
Was right all along

Gloucester White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gloucester White » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:29 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:Whenever this issue comes up I always suggest taking a look at TOFFS . . . I love my 1958 cup final shirt.

http://www.toffs.com/invt/1033
This.
Gets my vote
The future's bright, the future is ginger free :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Wanderers' Badge

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:42 pm

William the White wrote:
Those ribbons are puke. and the BWFC round logo is so out of date it has arthritis... Let's get really retro here and give the truly traditional a new and fresh life...
Erm not quite sure how that works WTW? If it's traditional.......
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:38 am

Hannibal did alright at Cannae. One nil I believe. :wink:

Bollox WtW beat me to it. :D
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?