Cahill an England international - most of second half

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:22 pm

jaffka wrote:Dawson has been ruled out of tuesdays game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8968538.stm
Southgate out of retirement then?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:14 pm

officer_dibble wrote:He did ok, but possibly out of position for the Bulgaria break before our second and definitely gave the ball away lazily at the end.
If he doesn't get his second cap on Tuesday you'd think it would be down to these two things.

The one where the Bulgaria player was on the line and knocked the ball back to a player who took a shot at Hart was on all the replays of our second goal.

Capello hasn't mentioned anything directly about Cahill from what I've heard but he mentioned some situations when Bulgaria were allowed to get a shot on goal, or words to that effect.

The media aren't saying he had a bad game but I don't think he's expected to start on Tuesday.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Lets get something straight

That chance referred to, you've got Johnson MIA and Jagielka haring towards his own goal playing Petrov on

NOT Cahills fault

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:54 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Lets get something straight

That chance referred to, you've got Johnson MIA and Jagielka haring towards his own goal playing Petrov on

NOT Cahills fault
This.
Pfffft.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:01 pm

I just have this sickening feeling that Upson will play instead of Cahill.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:50 pm

If he does Pedders then it will confirm what we already know that he's got favourable leaning towards the World Cup winners.
Pfffft.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:58 pm

I'm sure that the excuse trotted out will be "experience." That Upson's experience is limited to underachieving is irrelevant.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:29 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:I'm sure that the excuse trotted out will be "experience." That Upson's experience is limited to underachieving is irrelevant.
How much experience did Dawson have? Probably only two or three caps. Most people would rate him ahead of the experienced Upson.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:30 pm

I'm more experienced than Upson at his own strengths*, so I fail to see why he has the edge. Play me.

*being shit
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:52 am

H. Pedersen wrote:I'm sure that the excuse trotted out will be "experience." That Upson's experience is limited to underachieving is irrelevant.
Emile Heskey.

Defence rests.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:54 am

You can already see it in the media's reporting of the Dawson injury - they want their favourite claret and blue clodhopper back. The reports are tending to read "with Upson of West Ham, Jagielka and Cahill in the frame to be the centre back partnership".

So the lad who was left out on piss poor form, part of one of the worst defences in the league so far is now the meeja's suggestions to lead the back four. Utter tosh

Sir Nut
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Sir Nut » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:44 am

officer_dibble wrote:Luckily I wasn't watching, but turned over just s Cahill came on. Thought he might score early on he certainly fancied one off a set piece. He did ok, but possibly out of position for the Bulgaria break before our second and definitely gave the ball away lazily at the end. Still reasonable début, didn't do anything disastrous. Hope it works out and he gets a game on Tuesday.

I feel sorry for Cahill, he has to play with one of the worst defensive right backs for club and now he has to play with one of the worst defensive right backs for Country! Steinsons and Johnsons Positional play and reading of the game is shocking, for some reason they always get sucked inside and leave the flank open, that usually means the centre half has to cover, that means the other centre half has to cover him so on and so on. If Cahill was left to concentrate on his own position he would improve 100%, i thought his debut was awesome, he made some cracking defensive headers, covered Johnson well and looked dangerous on set pieces, its frightening to think how good he could be with a possesion side like Arsenal or Barca, he's so comfortable on the ball and has every attribute. He's also just put another 5 million on his price tag which makes it about ermmmm 20 million imo.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:49 am

Sir Nut wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Luckily I wasn't watching, but turned over just s Cahill came on. Thought he might score early on he certainly fancied one off a set piece. He did ok, but possibly out of position for the Bulgaria break before our second and definitely gave the ball away lazily at the end. Still reasonable début, didn't do anything disastrous. Hope it works out and he gets a game on Tuesday.

I feel sorry for Cahill, he has to play with one of the worst defensive right backs for club and now he has to play with one of the worst defensive right backs for Country! Steinsons and Johnsons Positional play and reading of the game is shocking, for some reason they always get sucked inside and leave the flank open, that usually means the centre half has to cover, that means the other centre half has to cover him so on and so on. If Cahill was left to concentrate on his own position he would improve 100%, i thought his debut was awesome, he made some cracking defensive headers, covered Johnson well and looked dangerous on set pieces, its frightening to think how good he could be with a possesion side like Arsenal or Barca, he's so comfortable on the ball and has every attribute. He's also just put another 5 million on his price tag which makes it about ermmmm 20 million imo.
:oyea: Sunday morning postive from Nutty. Well done.

Sir Nut
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Sir Nut » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:51 am

jaffka wrote:
Sir Nut wrote:

:oyea: Sunday morning postive from Nutty. Well done.
Credits given where credits due. :wink:

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Fair dos to him as well went for quite a few headers from set pieces. Obviously keen to show his worth on the pitch and show off while he has the oppurtunity.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Sir Nut wrote:

matter of opinion. It is always the CBs job to cover where necessary - and if you are a great CB - then you know where to cover and where not to because you read the game. there is no cosy world where a CB can stay in a little box and not be prepared to move across the pitch...

his debut was satisfactory - OK - it was not AWESOME - if you call it that - then you run out of words very quickly.

Sir Nut
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Sir Nut » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:45 pm

thebish wrote:
Sir Nut wrote:

matter of opinion. It is always the CBs job to cover where necessary - and if you are a great CB - then you know where to cover and where not to because you read the game. there is no cosy world where a CB can stay in a little box and not be prepared to move across the pitch...

his debut was satisfactory - OK - it was not AWESOME - if you call it that - then you run out of words very quickly.

His debut couldnt have gone better, he was always an option to pass to (dropping into space) did a 2 man job (covered for Johnson) played the offside trap twice to perfection (jagelka or Cole was keeping him on for the first one) won every header. Kept a clean sheet, he was awesome!

What im saying is, if Johnson knew how to defend then you wouldnt of seen their left winger with all that space and Cahill pulling across with no Johnson in sight, one player gets dragged out of position by covering the whole team has to play out of position and you can get caught out by doing that! Gibbs should be in.

pete101
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by pete101 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:50 pm

For me, if he doesnt start Tuesday it will only highlight how clueless capello is. Upson has had his chances, was awful at the WC and looks average at best at West Ham but is still living off his early career hype. If Capello was serious about making changes after the World Cup surely Barry, Terry, Wright Philips and Upson should be getting no where near the squad, as it is the only players that are no longer being picked are those who've retired!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Sir Nut wrote: His debut couldnt have gone better, he was always an option to pass to (dropping into space) did a 2 man job (covered for Johnson) played the offside trap twice to perfection (jagelka or Cole was keeping him on for the first one) won every header. Kept a clean sheet, he was awesome!
he did a decent job - no totally glaring mistakes - if you describe that as "awesome" then you must need to change your pants quite often... let's not get carried away - you'll make us look like West Ham fans...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:55 pm

thebish wrote:
Sir Nut wrote: His debut couldnt have gone better, he was always an option to pass to (dropping into space) did a 2 man job (covered for Johnson) played the offside trap twice to perfection (jagelka or Cole was keeping him on for the first one) won every header. Kept a clean sheet, he was awesome!
he did a decent job - no totally glaring mistakes - if you describe that as "awesome" then you must need to change your pants quite often... let's not get carried away - you'll make us look like West Ham fans...
Meh. Clearly you've no idea, the bish. It was Moore v Pele all over again. :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way