Arsenal v Bolton (match thread)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:People are right in that losing to Arsenal is no big deal, I won't lose any sleep over it. However, you've got to actually win sometime. You can spend the whole season making excuses for why we shouldn't expect points here or there ("Nothing wrong with a point at home to Fulham", "United and Villa at home will beat most sides"). Usually most of them are fair enough in isolation, but if you add them all together you end up with very few points.

It was exactly the same with Megson. Failure to put away teams at home (Stoke, Sunderland ect spring to mind) added to writing off half our away games as unwinnable leads to an inevitable struggle. You end up piling pressure on yourselves uneccesarily (which in fairness we usually won, until the Hull game and he got the sack). Similar story last season when we looked in trouble, getting obliterated in games like Blackburn away, and then having to beat Wigan. We could do the same and probably stay up again, but people want more than that.

It is the start of the season and I'm confident in Coyle to put it right. But a steady start looks increasingly less so as the games tick by. Is anyone convinced that Petrov and Holden are vastly superior to Taylor and Cohen? I said, pretty flippantly, before the West Ham game that Taylor would be back in the side in five games. Looks a decent bet unless Petrov shows what he can do.
There are some good points in amongst all that Tom, but we're 4 games into the season I'd like to think that the season isn't usually decided by the run of the first 4 games. Take Birmingham for example last games left right and centre at the beginning of last season and then it all clicked and they went on a 12 game unbeaten run. It can happen, we just have to give it time.
I agree. I was just making the point that the start of this season has already mimicked large parts of the previous three.

Coyle has got all the time he needs and the squad is certainly a work in progress. I'd be pleasantly suprised if we don't end up in a relegation scrap at some point.

I don't see this season being much different to last yaer.
The top 8 with all the money will probably all break 50 points - the rest including us will have to fight hard to get40.
To get that means winning home games against the bottom 10, and drawing away. Anything from the top clubs is a bonus
By that reckoning we should have 7 points by now.
We are 2 points down - not brilliant but not exactly a cause for alarm
What goes around may still come around

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:41 pm

Sir Nut wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
Sir Nut wrote:Didnt expect much from this game anyway, best players by a mile have been Lee, Elmander and Robinson, Bodgan has made some cracking saves but cant keep them all out, id hate to see the shots at goal stat. Anyway our luck couldnt carry on and lets just hope Coyle starts putting things right, it was like we was playing with 10 men before Cahill got sent off anyway. The ref is also wank, Free kick against Lee on the Edge of the box.

Bring on de Villa!
Worst summary ever to be fair. Lee was pretty quiet despite the cross for the goal, Elmo did have a good game but Robinson was shown up against a quicker set of players. at 2-1 I'd say that was a reasonable result, we're playing Arsenal you expect the defence to be stretched. The only thing Coyle will need to do is get them pepped up for the next game, he has nothing 'to put right'.

We played Arsenal for feck sake not one of our close rivals. It was never going to be easy
Wake up before we are in the brown stuff, the way the games went we should be on 1 point, we have been awfull, lucky against (a very bad) West Ham and Lucky Against Brum. 2 set pieces. We should of been hammered in both of them games and was lucky to pick up 4 points, if Coyle doesnt change things we are going down! We are shite, our defence are constantly under pressure. Yesterday could of been about 10.
Thing is we aren't on 1 point are we? So that's a pretty redundant statement you've made chief. We weren't lucky against West Ham, if you've ever seen them play you'll know they are an Arsenal-lite team. They pass it about in their pretty little triangles and go nowhere. Besides that Jussi did the job he was paid to do that day and kept them out. That's why he's a goalkeeper you see. As for the Brum game, yeah it was lucky we got the set-pieces, it also takes an enormous amount of nerves to be able to take them and score.

I also hate to point this out but the defence also played under pressure when BSA was the manager, that was his schtick you see. So all in all you've gone and stuck your foot in your mouth again.

I call dibs on you being a closet Urinals fan, because next you'll be taking points off us for not having enough fans, not playing the game the right way and having Kevin Davies on the field. Mind you do we lose points because he spit roasted your mum/girlfriend or sister?
Pfffft.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: Most of us probably didn't realistically expect to get anything with eleven.
I thought you said...
No reason at all why we shouldn't just get amongst them and win. None.

:wink:
Aye, it's called hope. Realism often kills it. Have a day off bish, you're becoming boring.

I've never known realism to destroy hope....

pete101
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by pete101 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Yesterday we lost to Arsenal. We've had a decent start to the season. Next we play Villa and might well lose that as well. I really don't think there's much to discuss unless you are utterly deluded.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:23 pm

pete101 wrote:Yesterday we lost to Arsenal. We've had a decent start to the season. Next we play Villa and might well lose that as well. I really don't think there's much to discuss unless you are utterly deluded.
or - unless the point of a discussion board related to BWFC is to discuss BWFC?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:21 am

Never expeded to get anything from the Arsenal game, however, I must admit that when I heard about the Arsenal injuries and saw their team selection, I became quietely optimistic about us getting something out of the game.

We gave it a good shot in the first half although Petrov was dreadful, Lee was out of the game before that exquisite composure that led to the goal, and Holden was never in it. Bogden, Elmander and KD did really well. Pleased to see the little maestro Wilshere bossing the midfield. Pleased because he was our player second half of the season and we improved him. Pity we do not have a midfielder to compare with him.

Second half, the sending off was wrong and after that the task became impossible. I hear that OC may appeal, but if he was me, I wouldn't bother because Cahill jumped in from behind and got nowhere near the ball. The appeal committee will see that and give the referee the benefit of the doubt. It was a stupid tackle but in my opinion deserved yellow, not red.

We fell apart after that, but lets move on and get something from Aston Villa. With the OC system, the wingers are very important, but so far they are just not in the game. Petrov in fact seems to be deteriorating and needs to show something at Villa or else he wil be replaced by Taylor. We need to get Lee on the ball more. Holden has been doing well, although he was destroyed by Willshere and co., while Ricketts is a safer bet than AOB. Lets go get at least a point there. I believe that we can.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:19 am

Maybe the discussion then is "are we deluded"? :conf: I table the motion...

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:00 am

Will be annoyed if the 4th Arsenal goal gets mentioned ever again. Keep ball in the centre circle and one chip over the top and we're being told it's an unbelievable team move. Yes it was nice but come on.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:51 am

in the cold light of day and with cold rational arguments - no big deal - we lost to arsenal away..

well done all you rational folk.

but I've never bought that - it still hurts to lose 4-1 whoever it is against - we are all allowed to hurt - and the day it doesn't is the day I jack it all in....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:56 am

thebish wrote:in the cold light of day and with cold rational arguments - no big deal - we lost to arsenal away..

but I've never bought that - it still hurts to lose 4-1 whoever it is against - we are all allowed to hurt - and the day it doesn't is the day I jack it all in....
Bish I'm not sure its about "hurting" or not "hurting".

I think more about the fact that everything is analysed about a defeat like that. "Knight was at fault for this, Cahill isn't very good, Muamba was wrong there, we need better coaching, Coyle is out of his depth" etc etc.

Rather than the honest truth that Arsenal are a better team than us in all departments and were that game to be repeated 20 times you'd imagine they'd probably win 18 of them or something like that. Some years you can go catch them on a bad day and get something.

We all know where the shortcomings in our team are and I guess all people are saying is some of the reaction to a defeat to a far superior team is just reactionary more than anything else.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:56 am

thebish wrote:in the cold light of day and with cold rational arguments - no big deal - we lost to arsenal away..

Amen. Sat in an office populated by Gooners today I've worn my teeth down to stubs with grinding. :evil:

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I think more about the fact that everything is analysed about a defeat like that. "Knight was at fault for this, Cahill isn't very good, Muamba was wrong there, we need better coaching, Coyle is out of his depth" etc etc.

Rather than the honest truth that Arsenal are a better team than us in all departments and were that game to be repeated 20 times you'd imagine they'd probably win 18 of them or something like that. Some years you can go catch them on a bad day and get something.

We all know where the shortcomings in our team are and I guess all people are saying is some of the reaction to a defeat to a far superior team is just reactionary more than anything else.
Testify, Brother. Testify
Pfffft.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

All fair points.

On the other hand, Saturday was our biggest defeat away to Arsenal in 13 years (incidentally, the only other time we've conceded more than two goals there was in January).

You've got to perform at your best to give yourself a chance in games like this, but the way we defended at times made things too easy for them. I'm sure Coyle will agree.

It's not "Coyle Out" or anything like it. In fact, the reaction compared to how this result would've been taken a year ago is completely tame. We've got feck all else to talk about other than the game after all.

RobbieSavagesLeg
Promising
Promising

Post by RobbieSavagesLeg » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Blimey,

We've had one bad result, away, against a top four side, where referees judgments didn't go our way again, and it's all doom and gloom on here!

We've had a cracking start to the season, not lost, got through in a cup, brought some good senior players in (Petrov, Blake et al), got some canny looking yougsters (Alonso, Moreno and others), extended contracts on existing players.

The come back against Brum with 10 men showed the spirit that has long been missing, only one game ago.

Seriously this is going to be a good season, you watch. (Or I'll show my partner's arse on the town hall steps).

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:23 pm

RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:Blimey,

We've had one bad result, away, against a top four side, where referees judgments didn't go our way again, and it's all doom and gloom on here!

We've had a cracking start to the season, not lost, got through in a cup, brought some good senior players in (Petrov, Blake et al), got some canny looking yougsters (Alonso, Moreno and others), extended contracts on existing players.

The come back against Brum with 10 men showed the spirit that has long been missing, only one game ago.

Seriously this is going to be a good season, you watch. (Or I'll show my partner's arse on the town hall steps).
Are you and BWFCi an item, then?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Are you and BWFCi an item, then?
:mrgreen:

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:42 pm

Must be a rare day in Bolton when someone isn't baring their arse somewhere in public.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Better post a photo first RSL. Then we can decide if said scene will upset the kids and / or dogs. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

All fair points.

On the other hand, Saturday was our biggest defeat away to Arsenal in 13 years (incidentally, the only other time we've conceded more than two goals there was in January).

You've got to perform at your best to give yourself a chance in games like this, but the way we defended at times made things too easy for them. I'm sure Coyle will agree.

It's not "Coyle Out" or anything like it. In fact, the reaction compared to how this result would've been taken a year ago is completely tame. We've got feck all else to talk about other than the game after all.
Tom I agree. I suppose all I'm saying is all playing the good teams does is bring to light the faults that were already there.

We're shite defensively, its been obvious most games this season and we're lightweight in midfield.

I'm not sure there is much Coyle can do about it with the current squad he has though, so we're probably stuck like that till the end of the season.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:43 pm

And beyond