Bolton v Liverpool Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Bolton v Liverpool Match Thread

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:49 am

Another week to go before the scousers game. I hope that Dirtburn don't stuff em today because there'd be a chance of a manager change this week, and our TV coverage would become a circus.

I'm guessing this year we won't see the surprisingly effective tactic of Fab shadowing Stevie G?

Changes-wise reading the last couple of match threads the players under threat would be Petrov and Steinsson, with two strong replacements waiting in Ricketts and Taylor. I suspect if Johnson plays we might be better going with Taylor.

Other than that a great chance to finally bloody the nose of a big club, one of the traditional big four.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:15 am

Next Sunday is my birthday and I am taking the day off. The official birthday/halloween party will be in the pub the night before. I will be celebrating on the Sunday in a thai style outdoor pub in front of a big screen. So far half the people invited are Pool fans. In other words we better get something out of this game. It'll be depressing enough hitting the big 50, so I don't need further pain inflicted with a loss to Pool.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Bolton v Liverpool Match Thread

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:16 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Another week to go before the scousers game. I hope that Dirtburn don't stuff em today because there'd be a chance of a manager change this week, and our TV coverage would become a circus.

I'm guessing this year we won't see the surprisingly effective tactic of Fab shadowing Stevie G?

Changes-wise reading the last couple of match threads the players under threat would be Petrov and Steinsson, with two strong replacements waiting in Ricketts and Taylor. I suspect if Johnson plays we might be better going with Taylor.

Other than that a great chance to finally bloody the nose of a big club, one of the traditional big four.
Surprisingly effective at limiting the influence of Gerrard perhaps, but unsurprisingly effective at losing the game, given it sends out a negative message but how we feel about our chances of winning on our own merits.

OC thankfully has a winning mindset unlike his predecessor. A great chance to win against them this. I'll go for 2-1 to us.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:28 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Another week to go before the scousers game. I hope that Dirtburn don't stuff em today because there'd be a chance of a manager change this week, and our TV coverage would become a circus.

Surprisingly effective at limiting the influence of Gerrard perhaps, but unsurprisingly effective at losing the game, given it sends out a negative message but how we feel about our chances of winning on our own merits.

OC thankfully has a winning mindset unlike his predecessor. A great chance to win against them this. I'll go for 2-1 to us.
I thought the effect of having a man sent off played a bigger role in losing the game than the marking of Gerrard.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:40 pm

seanworth wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

I thought the effect of having a man sent off played a bigger role in losing the game than the marking of Gerrard.

Absolutely right!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:20 pm

Interesting to see Woy and Kenny Dalgleish in the crowd yesterday. Running the rule over us in advance then?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Interesting to see Woy and Kenny Dalgleish in the crowd yesterday. Running the rule over us in advance then?
Indeed - I thought that everyone knows exactly what they're going to get when they play us anyway. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Interesting to see Woy and Kenny Dalgleish in the crowd yesterday. Running the rule over us in advance then?
Indeed - I thought that everyone knows exactly what they're going to get when they play us anyway. :?
:mrgreen:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:47 pm

I was wondering whether change could be in order for this one. Everyone seems to be of the opinion that Petrov and Lee are well below par at the moment but we lack any natural replacements for them. Moreno was ok, but clearly is a left sided player, and Mark Davies has done well when he's come on this year. Because of this I thought about changing the system to the old style 4-3-3 with Moo, Mavies and Holden in the middle, and Moreno wide left, and Davies and Elmo rotating between CF and RW. May be worth a thought.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:56 pm

jimbo wrote:I was wondering whether change could be in order for this one. Everyone seems to be of the opinion that Petrov and Lee are well below par at the moment but we lack any natural replacements for them. Moreno was ok, but clearly is a left sided player, and Mark Davies has done well when he's come on this year. Because of this I thought about changing the system to the old style 4-3-3 with Moo, Mavies and Holden in the middle, and Moreno wide left, and Davies and Elmo rotating between CF and RW. May be worth a thought.
Ergo - play Moreno on the left instead of Petrov, no? What happened to that Jamaican lad by the way? Is he injured?
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:09 pm

jimbo wrote:I was wondering whether change could be in order for this one. Everyone seems to be of the opinion that Petrov and Lee are well below par at the moment but we lack any natural replacements for them. Moreno was ok, but clearly is a left sided player, and Mark Davies has done well when he's come on this year. Because of this I thought about changing the system to the old style 4-3-3 with Moo, Mavies and Holden in the middle, and Moreno wide left, and Davies and Elmo rotating between CF and RW. May be worth a thought.
I'm not, but I am in a minority. The only change I'd want at the mo is Ricketts to have a chance at right back. Happy to keep making subs around the hour mark to freshen up the wings.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:11 pm

seanworth wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Well it was a convenient event for us to blame the result on, but from where I was sat last season, we battled really hard, scored from pratically the only chances we had, and generally looked second best. And as for the year before, with the same tactic, the same was true, except for the scoring bit. I personally hate that tactic - you should always have your own way of winning a game without one of our players following one of theirs around all day like a poodle. And any competent opposition manager (never mind one in charge with a team of very good players) should be able to make it look as ridiculous as it really is.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:40 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
I'm not, but I am in a minority. The only change I'd want at the mo is Ricketts to have a chance at right back. Happy to keep making subs around the hour mark to freshen up the wings.
No, i agree with this too. Rodders and Taylor to replace the wingers, and Klas to replace Elmo (or Mavis in Klas' absence) Steinsson certainly need to be replaced tho, if only to give him a kick up the arse! besides, we know Ricketts is perfectly adequate and deserves a shot.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:59 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
seanworth wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Well it was a convenient event for us to blame the result on, but from where I was sat last season, we battled really hard, scored from pratically the only chances we had, and generally looked second best. And as for the year before, with the same tactic, the same was true, except for the scoring bit. I personally hate that tactic - you should always have your own way of winning a game without one of our players following one of theirs around all day like a poodle. And any competent opposition manager (never mind one in charge with a team of very good players) should be able to make it look as ridiculous as it really is.
Admittedly I was sat on a couch to watch the game, but until we had a man sent off I thought Liverpool were by an large ineffective. Gerrard was marked out of the game, and we were captalizing from our opportunites. I do not think that marking Gerrard was effective in our losing the game.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:38 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Coyle used Muamba to man mark Gerrard at Anfield, last season
Sto ut Serviam

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:57 pm

---------Jussi---------

Ricketts--Cahill--Knight--Robinson

---------Muamba-----

Lee--Mavis--Holden--Moreno

---------SKD---------

What say ye? Elmo on for Muamba as an impact sub when/if needed.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:59 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:
No, i agree with this too. Rodders and Taylor to replace the wingers, and Klas to replace Elmo (or Mavis in Klas' absence) Steinsson certainly need to be replaced tho, if only to give him a kick up the arse! besides, we know Ricketts is perfectly adequate and deserves a shot.
We've lost 2 from 11 games.

And you want 4 changes?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:23 pm

SonsOfThunder wrote:---------Jussi---------

Ricketts--Cahill--Knight--Robinson

---------Muamba-----

Lee--Mavis--Holden--Moreno

---------SKD---------

What say ye? Elmo on for Muamba as an impact sub when/if needed.
We want to drop our top goalscorer? For a game against a side who haven't been playing at all well and are there for the taking? And we moaned incessantly about Megson being too negative?
I say...WTF???

Eire_Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eire_Trotter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:36 pm

I really think we shud beat a poor Liverpool team but fear after them beatin B'burn today as they might gain a bit of momentum.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:21 pm

Lets cut the crap, and put the same team out.

As the DJ says, theres only one team in this league lost less games than us. And they can spend £45m quid on a strikers wages.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.