Bolton v Spuds

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:52 pm

If you were looking at best games in the league over the years, this must be somewhere up there. It won't be, because it wasn't Liverpool v Spurs, but it should be. That was a classic, from the quality of play to the pace of the game to the drama of the scoreline to the controversies that people like to get up in arms about.

Every player was excellent in that second half, and anyone proclaiming Taylor being useless today has a vendetta against him. Not a nice dilemma to have for the next game - someone whose vision created the best team goal we've scored in a while, and who claimed his names to countless second balls, or someone whose place it was before injury and who scores after coming off the bench. Taylor for me - he's not done anything today to lose his place.

Davies was fantastic. Zat Knight would have won MoM had it not been for Davo. All I ask is he stops falling over as much - it might be working more often than not (outside the box) at the moment, but it looks unnatural to him, and might work against him more in future games.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

midnitefooty
Promising
Promising

Post by midnitefooty » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:54 pm

What a game... and that was only the half I saw!
Only saw highlights from the firts half but looks like this was a complete team effort.

How massive is SKD... If only Sir Nut were here.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Holdens tackle, Cahills ball, Davies header and Petrov finish was trouser creaming stuff! goal of the season if DMB's had scored it!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:56 pm

Capello in the stand too,

criminal if Crouch gets the nod on that performance.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:56 pm

by the way, where was this Bale everyone is talking about?

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:58 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:by the way, where was this Bale everyone is talking about?
Rummaging around Gretar's pocket, I should imagine....

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Holdens tackle, Cahills ball, Davies header and Petrov finish was trouser creaming stuff! goal of the season if DMB's had scored it!
Wasn't even our best goal of today!

midnitefooty
Promising
Promising

Post by midnitefooty » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm

DJBlu wrote:Capello in the stand too,

criminal if Crouch gets the nod on that performance.
Indeed. Criminal if KD doesn't.

cophilie
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cophilie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:00 pm

Best I've seen us play for a long long time, think we pressed and harried very well when we didn't have the ball and when we did there were some really high quality passages of play.

All of the goals as well (even the penalty) were lovely finishes, so proud of the boys today.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:01 pm

Great game and we didn't let up or back off even when 3 up. Davies superb and Lee really shone today. Holden a real find and a good team performance. A few scary moments and Knight misjudged a couple he should have had, but all in all, great. Brilliant ball from Steinsson first half that missed Elmander's head by a hair, and that Elmander sandwich was a foul we should have got. Huddlestone should have walked for his deliberate kick in the guts on Elmander. I said earlier we didn't do luck or rub of the green, but what the hell, we were due a couple of decisions. Considering Spurs are a really decent side (pundits will probably blame tiredness due to their triumph mid-week) this was a real plus. Pissed me off how Andy Grey got all excited every time they got in our half, he was almost cheering them on.

This was a real decent show from us and the goals were all good. Petrov finished beautifully from a great Davo flick. Man of the match, Superkev, no doubt, but eleven of em for me. Haven't looked forward to MOTD this much for ages. :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:04 pm

Seriously re: Bale. He was never going to live up to the hype of the week, because he'd had so much - thank the media for that. However, he had....what?.....two, three moments of getting the better of Steinsson? Other than that we dealt with him well, and credit goes to Lee, Steinsson, Cahill, Knight, Muamba and Holden for that. They all did a job when they needed to, making Bale run into blind alleys and forcing the ball away from him.

Spurs played pretty well, and created enough to get something from it. Thing is, when the other team put a performance in that could have beaten the European Champions themselves, you're on a hiding to nothing.

And that may sound a bit of hyperbole, but we played THAT well today.

I said last week that we needed to draw a line under last week as soon as possible and move on. The character and nerve shown, particularly at 3-2, showed me that Coyle probably thought the same.

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:11 pm

thebish wrote:here coms petrov for Taylor..

ball's in your court devon! 8)
honestly bish i dont work like that - but - well,

no it was a superb 3 points, but they make it heart attack stuff, brill day

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Look at what these pricks have written under "Bolton Survive Spurs Scare"

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 61,00.html
Bitter Pricks wrote:In between the kicking and fouling, Kevin Davies found time in his busy schedule to hit a double salvo in Bolton's 4-2 win.

thevza
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by thevza » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:21 pm

ive gone and ruined my sheets. :oops:

so glad espn showed it, stream have been pretty crap lately. knight was great in the back.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:21 pm

So glad all those pre-match Doooooooooooooms were unwarranted. What a fantastic performance, our best against a top 4 side in years. They were awful, playing silly passes, we out-battled them - we just had everything today. So proud.

I was worried after the first 10-15 mins because the performance was similar to last week - some great work winning the ball but not much was coming off with it. Taylor missed a great chance and it was looking like another frustating one.

But we profited from a wasteful Spurs, who repeatedly gave the ball away, and we harassed well to win the chance for that first goal. Lee as predicted had the measure of a poor left back and Davies got an unusual amount of change from two average centre halves.

The man everyone was talking about Bale was kept in as much measure as you can, restricted to a handful of crosses. Steinsson had his best game for some time, and made up for him to cap it with a goal.

Struggle to fault that. Am fecking delighted.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:30 pm

The only down point was listening to the commentary going on about the Spurs the Champions League and how it is important to take the league seriously not overlooking competition. We were ready for this game and took it to them and won simply because we the better side.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:34 pm

seanworth wrote:The only down point was listening to the commentary going on about the Spurs the Champions League and how it is important to take the league seriously not overlooking competition. We were ready for this game and took it to them and won simply because we the better side.
Agreed. This was no Champions League Hangover. This was, despite wanting another drink at 4am, being forcefed Absinthe.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:34 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Look at what these pricks have written under "Bolton Survive Spurs Scare"
Bitter Pricks wrote:In between the kicking and fouling, Kevin Davies found time in his busy schedule to hit a double salvo in Bolton's 4-2 win.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:36 pm

That Steinsson is never a PL player :wink:

Class performance, we're now in fifth, not bad for a side with no money.

Roll on Wolves, I've got my ticket :D
Troll and proud of it.

jussi_jaji
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jussi_jaji » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Jacked this off a spurs forum. . . What a prediction

http://www.tottenhamhotspurs.tv/forum/p ... olton.html

Bolton 2 - elmander + Lee
Spurs 4 - bale + pav (2) + vdv

Scott