Nolan's return to the Reebok

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Nolan's return to the Reebok

Post by FaninOz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Will it be a happy return or one that he will hope to forget??? I hope that its the latter as we should be able to beat Newcastle with the way that we have played in recent games. They are su unpredictable though and can beat anyone on their day, so will it be Jekyll or Hyde that turns up next weekend to play us???

Interesting that they are resting Carroll from the England games just so that he will be available to play against us!!!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Is it his first time back as well? Guessing he will get a decent reception.

This is a game that no matter what your ambitions are in the Premier League you have to win. A newly promoted team, at home, with two key players missing.

Would be nice for this to be our first clean sheet since Fulham, but 3 points must be the only priority in this

ebby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ebby » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:53 pm

obviously hope it's unhappy for him in the sense that we win but i will giving him a good cheer, put a good few years hard work and quality at this club and deserves a good reception for that

Eire_Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eire_Trotter » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:19 pm

ebby wrote:obviously hope it's unhappy for him in the sense that we win but i will giving him a good cheer, put a good few years hard work and quality at this club and deserves a good reception for that
Agree with this. Want us to win but would never boo KN as he was a great servant to us.

Funny story actually.

The year Nolan signed for Newcastle my friends dad met him in newcastle airport and asked him why he left Bolton for Newcastle and he replied, and I quote " I thought Bolton would be relegated and I didn't wanna be playing championship football".

Funny that this happened in June when Newcastle were already relegated :mrgreen: .

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:23 pm

It was good business for all parties really. Good servant, good times and a good price.

Interestingly Big Sam was pundit at one of their games recently and when asked to comment on Nolan pointedly said "great player in the box, as good as any, average outside it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Eire_Trotter wrote:
ebby wrote:obviously hope it's unhappy for him in the sense that we win but i will giving him a good cheer, put a good few years hard work and quality at this club and deserves a good reception for that
Agree with this. Want us to win but would never boo KN as he was a great servant to us.
Funny story actually.
The year Nolan signed for Newcastle my friends dad met him in newcastle airport and asked him why he left Bolton for Newcastle and he replied, and I quote " I thought Bolton would be relegated and I didn't wanna be playing championship football".
Funny that this happened in June when Newcastle were already relegated :mrgreen: .
Strange. Must have been taking the mick. The story goes that he knew nothing about the transfer till it came off. He was always happy at Bolton and one of the best clubmen we had.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Eire_Trotter wrote:
Funny story actually.
Strange. Must have been taking the mick. The story goes that he knew nothing about the transfer till it came off. He was always happy at Bolton and one of the best clubmen we had.
Does that make him worth booing then? I doubt it somehow! :wink: Unless he scores a hattrick that is! :( :cry:
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:43 pm

I'll welcome him back.

Newcastle have one of the very best away records in the League so far this season, and have scored a lot of goals. It will be a tough game and Kevin will be up for it.

Looking forward to it.

:D

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:52 pm

All should welcome him back with open arms, mind you he should still be on the losing end which is more important.

Eire_Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eire_Trotter » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Eire_Trotter wrote:
Funny story actually.
I thought this awel but I'm just giving the story I was told.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:24 pm

I never wanted Nobby to go, gutted he went to the Toon and will welcome him back but hopefully he'll be on the losing side.
Pfffft.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:37 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:It was good business for all parties really. Good servant, good times and a good price.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:It was good business for all parties really. Good servant, good times and a good price.
Ditto.

Before he left, during that long, quite barren spell, I said that I felt a move might do him, us and any new club well & it seems that this happened.

We'll never know why, maybe he tried too hard, but he had 18-24 months when it just didn't work for him ... & so the team.

He's rekindled his career & this is excellent.

He never stopped trying, never complained, never showed it was getting to him. I'm pleased it's turned around. I will applaud him on ... & off ... & hope he has an absolute stinker.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:59 pm

All this "this is a game we must win stuff" is a bit OTT. Toon are good away from home. Very good in fact. They won at Everton for example.

They will be tough opponents as will Blackpool.

On paper before the season started you'd be looking at 6 from these two but with how its gone and how well we've started and how well those two have started 4 would be very decent. Even 3 would put us in a strong position.

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Eire_Trotter wrote:

Funny story actually.

Sounds like Nolans sense of humour coming through, that does.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:All this "this is a game we must win stuff" is a bit OTT. Toon are good away from home. Very good in fact. They won at Everton for example.

On paper before the season started you'd be looking at 6 from these two but with how its gone and how well we've started and how well those two have started 4 would be very decent. Even 3 would put us in a strong position.
Even Derby County's record points low would have included a banked 3 points at home against these boys. They're missing Barton, who has been the best player arguably, so I'm told. They might be missing Carroll too.

We're the home team, we've top-half of the table ambitions. You are allowed to expect a win here.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:16 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:All this "this is a game we must win stuff" is a bit OTT. Toon are good away from home. Very good in fact. They won at Everton for example.

Even Derby County's record points low would have included a banked 3 points at home against these boys. They're missing Barton, who has been the best player arguably, so I'm told. They might be missing Carroll too.

We're the home team, we've top-half of the table ambitions. You are allowed to expect a win here.
Think that is possibly the most irrelvant thing I've heard. Different side, different manager (wonder why he never made it at a big club? go and watch that game), different era even.

I think we'll go in looking to win and so we should. But I think its a tough game and with Nolan returning who knows?

I'll take 4 from the next 2 and be very very happy. 6 would be dreamland. I know what you're saying but we have a little leeway given our results to date.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:20 pm

Tut. You are a humourless nice person at times

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:07 pm

Toon and Blackpool are the kind of games we've fecked up in the past. Both quite decent sides. I'd be ecstatic with 4 points, not displeased with 3.

Nolan deserves a good reception. Though I hope he has a shit game.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:56 pm

Nolan has made a good start to the season in terms of goals scored. Most of the goals have come from poaching in the box and in games where he has been played directly behind Carrol. The rest of his play is poor. For some reason Newcastle have since dropped him further back and have played somone else behind/with Carrol and Nolan is much less effective. It's also worth noting that 5 of his goals have come in 2 games, Villa and Sunderland, both of whom failed to show up for their games at St. James.

If we keep this game tight, and pick him up in the box he'll give us no problem - Newcastle are good in an open game. Should they play him deeper, as in recent games, I suspect we'll see the Nolan we watched 2 years ago. He'll get nothing out of our midfield.

I do not subscribe to this misty eyed reminiscence of Nolan. He was abjectly shite for at least the last 2 1/2 years with us, during which he was paid many millions of pounds as a "servant"'.

I will, however, welcome his return to the Reebok, though I suspect for different reasons to others. I have nothing personal against him - I would just rather see him on the other side.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.