Nat Lofthouse statue

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWSA
Hopeful
Hopeful

Nat Lofthouse statue

Post by BWSA » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:10 pm

The plans for a statue for Nat have already taken place between many supporters and BWFC. It's not something that can happen overnight because the statue costs many tens of thousands of pounds and the actual production of it takes many months.

The BWSA has always believed that the design should be chosen by the supporters (probably by way of an online poll or something similar) and that may include the choice of location - although the Reebok Stadium is blessed with space on three sides so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Out of respect to Nat's family no formal announcements will be probably be made until well after the funeral, by which time the fundraising scheme should be in place for all those who wish to contribute to what will become a fundamental piece of the Reebok Stadium landscape.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Re: Nat Lofthouse statue

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:48 pm

Thanks for the update

Chrisfu
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Chrisfu » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:56 pm

That'd be a fitting gesture for a man of true legendary status. The missus and myself have just had our first child (a girl, as it turns out), but before we found out the sex, she'd already agreed to let me have Nathaniel as the name for our first lad should we be lucky enough to have one.

As well the plans for a statue, I think it'd be a fantastic gesture for the club to permanently set aside a seat in the VIP/directors box for Nat. Leave it empty for as long as there is a football club called Bolton Wanderers.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:16 pm

But please - don't commission whoever it was that knocked together that quite appalling Dibnah effort.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Chrisfu wrote:That'd be a fitting gesture for a man of true legendary status. The missus and myself have just had our first child (a girl, as it turns out), but before we found out the sex, she'd already agreed to let me have Nathaniel as the name for our first lad should we be lucky enough to have one.
i believe there is a forumite on here who had a daughter - and she is called Nat...

tell ben im him
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tell ben im him » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Or natilie
am i right or am i right?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:02 pm

thebish wrote:
Chrisfu wrote:That'd be a fitting gesture for a man of true legendary status. The missus and myself have just had our first child (a girl, as it turns out), but before we found out the sex, she'd already agreed to let me have Nathaniel as the name for our first lad should we be lucky enough to have one.
i believe there is a forumite on here who had a daughter - and she is called Nat...
My fiancee is named after him. She was interviews by Sky Sports today too, as well as being on Granada Reports
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Final design must be Nat on his teamates shoulders with the cup surely!?!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:03 am

I've a mate who named his son Nathaniel after the big fella, Nat to his mates! Quality

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:27 am

finlayson wrote:Final design must be Nat on his teamates shoulders with the cup surely!?!
Footballer outside The Reebok, this on the Town Hall Square. :

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

tripod
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tripod » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:44 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
finlayson wrote:Final design must be Nat on his teamates shoulders with the cup surely!?!
Footballer outside The Reebok, this on the Town Hall Square. :

Im Only 25, but seeing that pic reminds me of all the stories my Grandad told me and me brothers about Sir Nat. Look at him smile after a hard days graft, wanting to play for his hometown. I love modern football, but how I wish I was around to see Sir Nat play. Never met the great man but recall his face at the Millennium when promotion was secured against Preston.

Mr BWFC

RIP

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Just seen this little snippet on natlofthouse.co.uk
Although always associated with Burnden Park, Nat’s legend will live on long into the future at the Reebok Stadium.
I think that the statue should definitely be at the stadium, that's where most people will see it. If you are going to watch Bolton Wanderers play there is only one place you can do that, the Reebok.

If there was enough money to build two than I would definitely agree at having one at the town hall as well, if it was only one it would have to be at the stadium.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:17 pm

Anyone know who put that little banner up on the entrance to ASDA on burnden park saying 'RIP Nat Lofthouse' ? Ironically it was written on a white bedsheet , and the black writing had run and smudged from the rain, but that seemed to make it even more poignant.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:19 pm

boltonboris wrote:
thebish wrote:
My fiancee is named after him. She was interviews by Sky Sports today too, as well as being on Granada Reports
I'll be quids in then when Chris de Burgh pops his clogs! CNN here I come!

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:22 pm

When we got a puppy about 6 years ago, i somehow convinced my wife to let us call him jay-jay. Any other footballer-related names she'll definitely veto in future.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:31 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:When we got a puppy about 6 years ago, i somehow convinced my wife to let us call him jay-jay. Any other footballer-related names she'll definitely veto in future.
we called our puppy shittu... shit for short...

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:33 pm

See for me, I'd say Bolton town centre. Nat's association is as much with the town as the club. Worked in Nottingham with Clough.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:34 pm

thebish wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:When we got a puppy about 6 years ago, i somehow convinced my wife to let us call him jay-jay. Any other footballer-related names she'll definitely veto in future.
we called our puppy shittu... shit for short...
So, you wander round in public shouting 'shit!' ? People get carted off for much less than that Bish :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:35 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:See for me, I'd say Bolton town centre. Nat's association is as much with the town as the club. Worked in Nottingham with Clough.

why just have one?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Just because.