FA Cup fourth round replay: Wigan v Bolton

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Re: FA Cup fourth round replay: Wigan v Bolton

Post by enrdentw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:22 am

It's the biggest game of the season tomorrow IMO. If we fail to win then we have nothing significant left to play for apart from the challenge of coming top in mid-table (between 8th and 12th). Eighth place would be a good achievement it is just the fact it would be the first time in many a season that we haven't been fighting relagation, in the hunt for a European spot (realistic), on a good cup run, pushing for promotion or a combination of those.

I just don't want to end up like the tottenham team when they went on a run of something like 5 or 6 seasons of finishes.in-between 9th an 11th and nothing to shout about in the cups.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:44 am

enrdentw wrote: I just don't want to end up like the tottenham team when they went on a run of something like 5 or 6 seasons of finishes.in-between 9th an 11th and nothing to shout about in the cups.
Compared to what we've had? I'd take it and so would a lot more have willingly done not long back. It'd be far better than scrapping against relegation with a Megson manual as our bibe.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:48 am

enrdentw wrote:It's the biggest game of the season tomorrow IMO. If we fail to win then we have nothing significant left to play for apart from the challenge of coming top in mid-table (between 8th and 12th). Eighth place would be a good achievement it is just the fact it would be the first time in many a season that we haven't been fighting relagation, in the hunt for a European spot (realistic), on a good cup run, pushing for promotion or a combination of those.

I just don't want to end up like the tottenham team when they went on a run of something like 5 or 6 seasons of finishes.in-between 9th an 11th and nothing to shout about in the cups.
This is an odd attitude for me.

If we finish mid table for 5 years then great, it means we're overachieving from a historical basis.

The notion that its a "bad thing" is just a bit strange to me. Would you rather be "at the bottom" scrapping again?

As for the FA cup we'll give it a go, but should we beat Wigan we'll then have Fulham away. Odds are we'll lose one of them games at least given our away form, so its not like we've got an easy passage to the quarters should we beat Wigan anyways!

Wembley would be nice but its certainly not season defining, not this year at least.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 pm

It's difficult to put my sentiment into words BWFCI, I just just think that 5 years in mid-table wouldn't make the reebok an enjoyable experience however historical that maybe. I suppose we have to accept that it would be very unlikely for any team to break into the top 6 of man u, Chelsea, spurs, arsenal, man city or Liverpool and that has been the case for a few seasons now. Saying that, it leaves the rest of the teams to battle it out for 7th place... Which after a number of seasons could make supporting BW pretty dull, especially when you consider the rollercoaster of the last 15/16 seasons and beyond...
Last edited by enrdentw on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:41 pm

enrdentw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
enrdentw wrote:It's the biggest game of the season tomorrow IMO. If we fail to win then we have nothing significant left to play for apart from the challenge of coming top in mid-table (between 8th and 12th). Eighth place would be a good achievement it is just the fact it would be the first time in many a season that we haven't been fighting relagation, in the hunt for a European spot (realistic), on a good cup run, pushing for promotion or a combination of those.

This is an odd attitude for me.

If we finish mid table for 5 years then great, it means we're overachieving from a historical basis

It's difficult to put my sentiment into words bwfci I jus just think that 5 years in mid-table wouldn't make the reebok an enjoyable experience however historical thaat maybs.....

The notion that its a "bad thing" is just a bit strange to me. Would you rather be "at the bottom" scrapping again?

As for the FA cup we'll give it a go, but should we beat Wigan we'll then have Fulham away. Odds are we'll lose one of them games at least given our away form, so its not like we've got an easy passage to the quarters should we beat Wigan anyways!

Wembley would be nice but its certainly not season defining, not this year at least.
Given that the two alternatives are either scrapping against relegation or a rather improbable and impossible assault on the champions league places I'd ask what exactly you'd expect us to be doing?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:16 pm

Can we pay on the door?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:If we finish mid table for 5 years then great, it means we're overachieving from a historical basis.
No it isn't.

All time table we are midtable in the top division. Theres nothing overachieving about it, its our benchmark.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Realistically all we can hope for is to keep comfortably away from relegation most seasons, have mid-table 'mediocrity' generally and to have occasional great years where we surprise ourselves let alone others. In the good years we have to recognise that the 'big boys' will take a shine to our better players and we must adapt to nicking good up & comings from teams at or below us.

Like the QPR of the 1980's probably.

Unless we believe we can start stealing fans from Stretford, Citeh, Liverpool Admin we can only hope to add to our number of fans by stopping the age-old drift to Manchester and picking up the odd one here & there. That'll be done by entertaining football & we should sign David Ginola up as our PR man.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:52 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Can we pay on the door?
Yes.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:If we finish mid table for 5 years then great, it means we're overachieving from a historical basis.
No it isn't.

All time table we are midtable in the top division. Theres nothing overachieving about it, its our benchmark.
14th I believe so technically if you want to take that benchmark we're overachieving.

But clearly overachieving is measured as a function of the clubs resources. If you took away every owner putting money into clubs and made every club run by their own resources, (ie gate receipts, merchandising etc) we'd be nowhere near mid table. As it is we are above an Everton side who we just beat who spent 15M on one player in that team. Plenty of the teams currently below us have more spending power and will carry on doing so in the future.

Coyle is obviously very very good at getting the best out of players and bringing in younger players. Similar to Allardyce exploiting the other end of the market, the talented but wayward older pro's and turning them round. Its a niche that suits us very well, but soon other clubs will cotton on and we'll be back in the pack so to speak.

I know folk don't like the word "overachieving" as they feel it belittles us. But the danger of not viewing things in that way is unrealistic expectations driving supporter unrest and causing gates to drop yet further. I think the younger generation of fan sees everything in a Sky Top 4 window and its important for them to realise that Bolton are not likely to ever be about that, but we're still the best team in the world! :mrgreen:

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Anyone going, please write about it for us. Thanks.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:54 pm

So, predictions? The Pies fans seem to think they're going to win because Sturridge isn't playing, and definitely if we don't play KD. I reckon we're due a scoring run, 3-0 us.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm going with prufrock. Can see a close win, and then a headache as to whether I should go on Sunday or not.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Hoping to see a strong team out for this one so 3-0 Whites.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 pm

I think we might scrape this one too.

Would almost prefer to lose to Wigan and stuff Newcastle away in the league, but we need momentum... so we'll have to beat them both!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:51 am

Verbal wrote:I'm going with prufrock. Can see a close win, and then a headache as to whether I should go on Sunday or not.
Its for Nat. We'll shit 'em. Only been there once, to see them dick Preston 5-0 with Preston fan mate. Marlon Broomes gave away a late penalty for the fifth and the Preston fans started shouting 'Off off off'. Hopefully this is amusing. Cannae do the London trip though. And I must be one of the very very few Wanderers to have a 100% (albeit AET get in Danny boy) record at t'Cottage?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

newboy
Promising
Promising

Post by newboy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:22 am

just seen tonights refs statistics 21 games 63 yellows 6 reds should be a nice flowing game with both teams finishing with a full compliment.

Latham8wfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Latham8wfc » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:06 am

Not particularly optimistic about tonght tbh, i'm expecting a significantly weaker XI and we haven't exactly got the greatest record at Wiggin in recently years......think are only chance is via extra time / penalties.
http://twitter.com/New_Latham8wfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:09 am

potter1989bwfc wrote:Jussi
Ricketts
Cahill
Weater
Alonso
Petrov
Cohen
Mavies
Moreno
Elmo
Klasnic
I like this line up, we'll either get dicked 6-0 or win 5-3 !
However i would rest Cahill, put Ricketts in t'centre and insert (ooh) Steinner at RB.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 am

Cohen :doh:
Elmander :doh: