Reserves......

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Reserves......

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:15 am

ANOTHER goal for Eaves - 8 in 9 I believe
ANOTHER goal for Blakeman.

Time to give them a go? Wouldn't do any harm having the young striker on the bench or even sending him out on loan somewhere, plus the reports on Blakeman are fantastic

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Re: Reserves......

Post by t_o_molloy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:34 am

That Vela looks a real talent as well. Was the best player in the Youth Cup at the Reebok, was apparently the best player last night and only turned 17 in December.

Plus from what I've seen (they've played together on the same team numerous times) Blakeman is better than Alonso

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:ANOTHER goal for Eaves - 8 in 9 I believe
ANOTHER goal for Blakeman.

Time to give them a go? Wouldn't do any harm having the young striker on the bench or even sending him out on loan somewhere, plus the reports on Blakeman are fantastic
I don't think now is the time - we had a strong team and bench on Saturday and that's the personnel we'll see for a while, fitness permitting. This is an important part of the season with a decent league position and still in the cup. Should things peter out towards the end of the season I think moving one or two up to the bench would be a good idea if OC thinks they're good enough. I like the loan idea.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:41 pm

GOALS from Tope Obadeyi, Adam Blakeman and Tom Eaves made it three wins out of four for the reserves, but it was Josh Vela who emerged as a future star in the emphatic victory over Wigan.

The 17-year-old’s performance in the centre of midfield marked him out as the one to watch out for of Wanderers’ current crop of youngsters.

Salford-born Vela, who has been at the Reebok since he was nine, was outstanding for John Henry’s rejuvenated side.

Technically excellent and strong in the tackle, Vela is composed on the ball, rarely surrenders possession and knows when to burst forward to join his strikers.

It was the type of display that left those at Leyland’s County Ground asking when, and not if, he will graduate to Owen Coyle’s squad.

calcalstar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by calcalstar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:50 pm

I thought I had read somewhere that Coyle brought Vela with him to the Reebok with Liam Irwin, maybe not. Most worryingly Josh Vela has on the website that the most played song on his Ipod is Celine Dion - My heart will go on!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:52 pm

I know (unfortunately) Velas uncle

He was boring me one night about this kid and I was only pretending to listen, but I think he said David Reeves is his agent
Sto ut Serviam

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Poor bastard.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:45 pm

My daughter is best friends with a reserve team player and I asked him the other day who he felt was the most promising player (apart from himself of course) coming through the ranks, he said without question it was Danny Ward and referred to Eaves as a donkey. :?
The Voice Of Reason

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm

t_o_molloy wrote:That Vela looks a real talent as well. Was the best player in the Youth Cup at the Reebok, was apparently the best player last night and only turned 17 in December.

Plus from what I've seen (they've played together on the same team numerous times) Blakeman is better than Alonso
Blakeman is a better midfield player than Alonso, Alonso is a better full back than Blakeman. They play in different positions !!
Vela is certainly a real prospect and could well make the grade over the next couple of years (when he'll be the ripe old age of 19 !!)
Eaves is improving with every game and Danny Ward is looking more like his old self
Rob Lainton in goal is another great prospect.
In fact for the first time in years we seem to have some young reserves who could make it through to the first team, and I'm not including Tope in those players.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:18 pm

Vela has the potential from what I've seen to be the new 'Hunt/Nolan/JOB' but better. He's that player who's homegrown and has been a Wanderer since he was 9. There was an interview with him in the last programme and he seemed to come across alright.
Pfffft.

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Post by t_o_molloy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Riviman wrote:
t_o_molloy wrote:That Vela looks a real talent as well. Was the best player in the Youth Cup at the Reebok, was apparently the best player last night and only turned 17 in December.

Blakeman is a better midfield player than Alonso, Alonso is a better full back than Blakeman. They play in different positions !!
Vela is certainly a real prospect and could well make the grade over the next couple of years (when he'll be the ripe old age of 19 !!)
Eaves is improving with every game and Danny Ward is looking more like his old self
In fact for the first time in years we seem to have some young reserves who could make it through to the first team, and I'm not including Tope in those players.
Blakeman is a left-back by trade, who's been pushed forward due to his goalscoring exploits, if I'm not mistaken.

elfil76
Reliable
Reliable

Post by elfil76 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:59 am

t_o_molloy wrote:
Riviman wrote:

Blakeman is a left-back by trade, who's been pushed forward due to his goalscoring exploits, if I'm not mistaken.
our version of bale ?

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Post by t_o_molloy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:07 am

elfil76 wrote:
t_o_molloy wrote:
Riviman wrote:

our version of bale ?
Not quite, he's been pushed forward into the centre of midfield, stangely enough with Danny Ward occupying the Left Wing.

elfil76
Reliable
Reliable

Post by elfil76 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:53 am

t_o_molloy wrote:
elfil76 wrote:
t_o_molloy wrote:
Riviman wrote:

our version of bale ?
Not quite, he's been pushed forward into the centre of midfield, stangely enough with Danny Ward occupying the Left Wing.
I see, thanks, I am too far off to hear any development on our youth team and the players. Thanks for these periodic updates.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 am

is the right back any good???

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Post by t_o_molloy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:27 am

General Mannerheim wrote:is the right back any good???
I actually had quite an extended chat with him on Facebook after the Wigan game, and I said to him what will happen for you if Ricketts gets injured. :hang:
His reply was: 'Depends if the gaffer can trust me or not'
My guess would be the same back 4 that ended yesterday's game with young Connolly on the bench.

helpinghand
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by helpinghand » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:28 pm

t_o_molloy wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:is the right back any good???
I actually had quite an extended chat with him on Facebook after the Wigan game, and I said to him what will happen for you if Ricketts gets injured. :hang:
His reply was: 'Depends if the gaffer can trust me or not'
My guess would be the same back 4 that ended yesterday's game with young Connolly on the bench.

I'm guessing you saw his rooney-esque overhead effort that hit the post against wigan. Great video of it, whoever took it.

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Post by t_o_molloy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Yeah, I saw it, quality effort.
But he's been playing very well in general recently and he did cost £1Million

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:29 pm

One of the problems of the Premiership's vast place money (around £800k per league table position I think) plus the lure (??) of European possibilities, means that experimenting with a few juniors once a club are safe from relegation is a very expensive option.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:33 pm

Lets see if Worhty can do a sum.

The cost of losing a few places to blood a few youngsters and the cost of the academy versus the cost of buying off-the-shelf players.

Could make quite interesting reading. Surely there has to be a balance?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.