Fulham on Sunday - FA Cup

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Fulham on Sunday - FA Cup

Post by scotty » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:03 pm

decent performance today. Thought cahill & wheater were excellent throughout and are forming a good partnership. Muamba was better than on wednesday, even nearly scored but he is still sloppy in possession & misplaces too many passes.

Good to see klasnic on target again, hes a cracking finisher who knows where the goal is & looks to be regaining some fitness. With sturridge available next week that gives coyle food for thought once again. Think the bench v newcastle will look pretty strong!

Pleased to have avoided arsenal, ManUre and City in the next round. Gives us a real chance of making wembley even if its only the semis. Will be a tough match though. Definitely will be on tv as all 4 of the matches at this stage are. Nobody should use that as an excuse not to get themselves to st. Andrews though, hope to see a travelling army of a few thousand cheer the whites on to wembley!
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:04 pm

seanworth wrote:Wonder how serious Birmingham will be able to take the game. Stuck in the middle of a relegation struggle, and have a Carlling Cup final. We could have drawn a lot worse than Birmingham away.
great perception and a fantastic supporting quote from a tabloid by tom

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:26 pm

thebish wrote:obviously I wasn't gonna say this before the game - but...

Fulham have NEVER beaten us in the FA cup - we have a 100% win rate against them.
Glad you didn't ... we'd have been domed. DOMED I tell you !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Verbal wrote:Klasnic's goal

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodispl ... m-8550875/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what a finish.
3 clean sheets in 8 days, all against Premiership opponents .... OK, 2 Premiership, plus Wiggin.

Does anyone know the Hillsborough phone number ??
Perhaps you could ask what role he played in the foundations of Holden, Alonso, Bogdan, Petrov, Davies and Wheater.
Actually, it's a shame Wednesday were so shite yesterday or this may have been Megson v Bolton. Just like old times really as he would have tried to hold us back (again) !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:34 pm

wonka wrote:Can't say defence looks rock-solid, but it looks a lot better with Wheater in there.
To be honest, I'd say it *did* look rock solid.

Given we had a left back on the right and a youngster on the left, that's a huge compiment.

Wheater looked ace, Cahill immense.
Tombwfc wrote:Muamba was fantastic going forward, Holden was fantastic defensively.
Holden is just fantastic full stop. I keep expecting a poor performance but he just won't give it, he's the real deal!
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Bolton Wanderers manager Owen Coyle praised the magnificent travelling support as Wanderers booked their place in the quarter-finals of FA Cup sponsored by E.ON.

Ivan Klasnic netted the decisive goal in a thoroughly pleasing performance in the capital, as the Whites secured their fifth clean sheet in their last six games.

The victory was Wanderers' third successive win in an eight day period.

Speaking in his post-match press Coyle said: "It's always nice to win games and I thought we were terrific from start to finish against a very good Fulham side. We came here knowing that Fulham would make things difficult for us because they've shown in recent weeks that they are a very good side on their own patch.

"We've freshened things up following a couple of injuries but each and every one of my players gave me everything that they've got.

"The work rate, intensity and quality was pleasing throughout and our fans were magnificent from start to finish. It was a very quick turnaround for them following Wednesday's game and we thank them for their backing.

"We scored a great goal and if the truth be told we could have scored more than the one we did. We looked dangerous on the counter attack and we had some great opportunities to get that elusive second goal. There's always a chance with the quality that Fulham have means that they can always hurt you but we defended superbly from the front to the back with real bravery.

"We now look forward to a trip to Birmingham in the next round but before that we face another away game in the north east against Newcastle United. We've got a week to ensure that we are fully prepared because we know we'll face a testing game against a side who have shown they are more than capable of scoring goals."
http://www.bwfc.co.uk/page/General/0,,1 ... 35,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Praises the fans... "my players"...

I'd run through walls for the guy, and judging by Wilshere showing up at the Reebok last weekend, it seems his players would too.
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:42 pm

shows what a difference what an upbeat manager can make

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Cracking defensive performance today. All credit to the lads for the performance. Glad to see were in the next round. Long may it continue. 5 clean sheets in 6 games, talk about pull together as a team :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:50 pm

i had a ticket, couldn't go, found a new owner...

how was our turnout?

Happy, i know, but numbers? :D

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Yes, I bet on Fulham. And I'll bet on Birmingham.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Coyle said: "I thought we were terrific from start to finish against a very good (whoever we've just played) side. We came here knowing that they would make things difficult for us because they've shown in recent weeks that they are a very good side".
May the bridges I burn light your way

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:22 pm

What a win!!

I'm moving down to Worcester at the end of the week so I'm looking forward to making the short trip up to st. Andrews for the quarters. It could be a great weekend....

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Back from the game.

We played okay but defended well when it mattered. Wheater was fantastic, as was Holden and Klas!

Our support was great and we generated a lot of noise. Would like to go to Birmingham away now.. :D

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:50 pm

William the White wrote:i had a ticket, couldn't go, found a new owner...

how was our turnout?

Happy, i know, but numbers? :D
I would have thought about 1,000 or so? more than I expected given the short time between this round and the last one. And a great noise to boot!

Who was the wanderer reading the financial times at earls court at about 1:30pm? Put your hand up! You're giving the rest of us a bad name!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:24 pm

Hahahaha, can't say it was me!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:31 pm

Pleased with that. Got an early goal and held onto the lead with some stalwart defending. In the old days, not that old, we'd have capitulated under such pressure whereas today we could have actually added to our lead - yes, I'm looking at you Davo. Our makeshift back four did well though Alonso had a mare in the first half. I'm putting that down to nerves mostly as he played much better in the second half and got forward well too. Needs to spend a couple of hours aday crossing the ball in training.

I thought SKD was great in the first half and not so great in the second but to be fair we didn't have much of the ball upfront. I need to watch a replay of the game as I thought Muamba was poor for a lot of the game but I see that many don't agree. Cahill and Desparate Dan were immense and Robbo was a great fiil in at RB. Klasnic took his goal well but I couldn't help thinking we were missing Elmander's harrying up front. One of Petrov's better efforts today with some fine crosses. Bogdan's a keeper, if you know what I mean.

I'll not mention the clean sheet. (This time I'm looking at you Verbal).

Always an interesting weekend, the 5th round - some good efforts from the minnows despite the results, So well played Crawley, Sheff Wed., Fulham and Orient.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:54 pm

:mrgreen: apologies. I don't care anymore!!!!!
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:58 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:Who was the wanderer reading the financial times at earls court at about 1:30pm? Put your hand up! You're giving the rest of us a bad name!
That just has to be the Pencil Biter, MWCIEC.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:03 am

that tw*t william the white plotting the downfall of the enemy...