If BWFC ceased to exist who would you support?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Re: If BWFC ceased to exist who would you support?

Post by HMX » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:52 am

None, really. Or it would be a local team like Bristol R or Exeter (back home) - but even then I don't feel any ties towards them, and I know I'll probably be moving elsewhere soon.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:14 am

[quote="Gooner Girl"]Do you belong to an Athletics club Gary?

Yes, Trent Park. It's mainly a running club but we do some track and field in the summer at Lea Valley.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Do you belong to an Athletics club Gary?

Yes, Trent Park. It's mainly a running club but we do some track and field in the summer at Lea Valley.
Cool! What events do you do? I'm head coach at Haywards Heath Harriers (Daley Thompsons first club!) and occasionally Triple Jump when i'm not busy coaching!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:54 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Cool! What events do you do? I'm head coach at Haywards Heath Harriers (Daley Thompsons first club!) and occasionally Triple Jump when i'm not busy coaching!

I run. I haven't competed in the track and field yet as it's usually a Monday night and I have other things on.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:28 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

I run. I haven't competed in the track and field yet as it's usually a Monday night and I have other things on.
Ahhh you can't beat a track and field match on a summers day! Even in the Southern womens league that i compete in which is hardly gold standard level - is a good but knackering day out. Mind you, if your team is anything like mine you get pulled into every event just for the points. Once i ended up doing not only triple jump but high jump, discus, hammer, 400m hurdles, 1500m, 4x100m relay and 4 x 400m relay. its fair to say i could barely walk the next day!

Want to learn how to pole vault at some point soon! :P

Presume then you're an endurance runner rather then a sprinter?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Gooner Girl wrote: Even in the Southern womens league
I think Enfield was talking about athletics hobby, not your Arsenal supporting one.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:48 pm

Funny, none of you have said Arsenal!

If Arsenal ceased to exist i might support Bolton - or my local team B&H Albion...
Mine might have been Arsenal but that was before that nice person Wenger ruined it.
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:49 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:It's got to be said that a running track around the pitch when you're watching with a 60,000 crowd is pretty good. Watching a match when you're in a crowd of 60, though? Wrap up. I've had experience of coaching a team that played at Copthall Stadium in Barnet. It was so windy that the temporary dug outs fell over three times, and our fans said it was the single least satisfying win they'd ever watched, and it was a cracking performance.
Newcastle Town play at a multi-use, outdoor velodrome and football stadium.

I played there a couple of season ago and it was very. very strange. The stand to the left of the pitch was a good 6-7 ft higher than pitch level.. didn't need any ballboys on the side..No atmosphere whatsoever

"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Looks like and old racing track like Goodwood
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Ahhh you can't beat a track and field match on a summers day! Even in the Southern womens league that i compete in which is hardly gold standard level - is a good but knackering day out. Mind you, if your team is anything like mine you get pulled into every event just for the points. Once i ended up doing not only triple jump but high jump, discus, hammer, 400m hurdles, 1500m, 4x100m relay and 4 x 400m relay. its fair to say i could barely walk the next day!

Want to learn how to pole vault at some point soon! :P

Presume then you're an endurance runner rather then a sprinter?

Correct. I did London Marathon last year and have done 6 half marathons (got 2 in March) I have a place for this year's marathon but am going to defer through injury. I'll probably do some track events this Summer, but don't rate my chances. I did a track session the other day 5 X 1k with 200m jog recoveries. The first 4 efforts I averaged 4m 30secs. On my 5th effort I was nearly 2 minutes slower and was disappointed until I realised I'd done an extra lap! :oops:

It doesn't bode well. :grin:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:27 pm

:D Not tempted to try some field events then?! To be honest if you're a distance runner track is pretty boring! Do you do mostly road races or cross country?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Gooner Girl wrote::D Not tempted to try some field events then?! To be honest if you're a distance runner track is pretty boring! Do you do mostly road races or cross country?

Both. We compete in cross country leagues like Chingford in the Winter along with races like Southern Masters at Parliament Hill Fields (15 km of Cross Country Hell). In the summer we compete in the Mid-week Road Race League which culminates in a Mob Match. Generally 10k but not all.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:04 pm

I won't quote the post from boris due to image size, but that pitch....ugh.

I've just remembered that Hatfield Town, currently in the league I was in until the summer, are now playing at this place.

Yes, that's a velodrome around a running track around a football pitch. The only decent thing is that the dug outs are so far away from the fans, none of the away staff gets beer thrown at them for trying to give over technical points, and stick bombs aren't thrown into the dug outs.

Lo and behold, I've done the same with my image size. Doh!
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:10 pm

I like the new site software. When Boris and KB break the borders it is corrected in the next posts. I no longer have scroll down to the St. Lawrence to read a post after a massive picture.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:59 pm

B&H Albion currently have an athletics stadium as a pitch - as i mentioned before - i've thrown Javelins on it! :) They're moving soon though, and from what little i have seen of the new ground it looks really flash!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:01 pm

That is a very clever way of getting round the tobacco advertising ban.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:43 am

Football, as has been mentioned before, is shite.

How many people really enjoy it? None. How many think, "Oh, good, there's football on the telly - I'll watch that." No. You put on you Zombie Holocaust DVD, again. Because, let's face it, even though you've seen it 87 times before, will be better.

I'll grant you, Barcelona have a certain aesthetic appeal. But that's it. Who else? Arsenal? You're having a fcuking giraffe. Shite, long-ball tedium, appreciated only by their glory-hunting camp-followers (I won't dignify them with the term "fans"), and a bunch of media wankers with less knowledge of football than a dead squirrel.

Do you recall Saturdays when you were young? The excitement of going to the football. Getting up early, waiting for ages to leave, then the match. Now, what is there? Nothing. We often sit in the pub before the game, making remarks about how good it is here, and how we should stay, and fcuk the match off, because it won't be as good. We're only half-joking. But we go, because it's the Wanderers. That's it. If they didn't exist, I certainly wouldn't bother.

I would, however, givie my whole-hearted backing to whoever Man Utd are playing against that week.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:11 am

Puskas wrote:Football, as has been mentioned before, is shite.

How many people really enjoy it? None. How many think, "Oh, good, there's football on the telly - I'll watch that." No. You put on you Zombie Holocaust DVD, again. Because, let's face it, even though you've seen it 87 times before, will be better.

I'll grant you, Barcelona have a certain aesthetic appeal. But that's it. Who else? Arsenal? You're having a fcuking giraffe. Shite, long-ball tedium, appreciated only by their glory-hunting camp-followers (I won't dignify them with the term "fans"), and a bunch of media wankers with less knowledge of football than a dead squirrel.

Do you recall Saturdays when you were young? The excitement of going to the football. Getting up early, waiting for ages to leave, then the match. Now, what is there? Nothing. We often sit in the pub before the game, making remarks about how good it is here, and how we should stay, and fcuk the match off, because it won't be as good. We're only half-joking. But we go, because it's the Wanderers. That's it. If they didn't exist, I certainly wouldn't bother.

I would, however, givie my whole-hearted backing to whoever Man Utd are playing against that week.
Of course - dilemma solved... TYVM...

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 pm

My football experience is the day out with a few blokes I've watched the football with over the years

Spurs, t'other week, we were down to 4 and one of the 4 a recent addition

15/20 years back, we'd have mustered anything from 12 to 20

If we're honest, the match is incidental
Sto ut Serviam

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Are you saying that football is "poorer now than it used to be" or that "we're all just a bit older and so it just ain't as important/as much fun"?