Semi Final Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Semi Final Match Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:18 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
DSB wrote:Do we remember 1993/94 solely for Mark Patterson's backpass to Darren Beckford
Errr yes actually!
Seriously? You don't remember winning at Everton? You don't remember winning at Arsenal? You don't remember beating Villa? You don't remember playing seven cup games against top-flight opposition and only losing one?

In that case, fair enough: you're fixated on the negative and will pick at the scabs forever. If the only thing you can recall from a cup run is the loss at the end, there's no helping you. Good luck getting over Sunday, mate, but I don't believe you ever will if your brain prefers to remember Beckford over Goodison, Highbury and Stubbsy's beautiful bobbling winner.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:This season could end up being the most dismal end we've had yet.
I can see where the 'Insane' bit of your username comes from.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:28 am

at last - proof that Coyle reads my TW articles!

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/th ... we-possess

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:29 am

Anyone else think that the second Ricketts is fit, Steinsson is warming the bench?
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:40 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DSB wrote:Do we remember 1993/94 solely for Mark Patterson's backpass to Darren Beckford
Errr yes actually!
Seriously? You don't remember winning at Everton? You don't remember winning at Arsenal? You don't remember beating Villa? You don't remember playing seven cup games against top-flight opposition and only losing one?

In that case, fair enough: you're fixated on the negative and will pick at the scabs forever. If the only thing you can recall from a cup run is the loss at the end, there's no helping you. Good luck getting over Sunday, mate, but I don't believe you ever will if your brain prefers to remember Beckford over Goodison, Highbury and Stubbsy's beautiful bobbling winner.
Its not a case of prefers is it? Who remembers beating Ipswich in the play offs fondly after going to Wembley and losing to Watford?

Of course I remember the great giant killing cup run but if someone says whats your first thought of that season its the gut wrenching moment when Patterson passes that ball back. And secondly its the first 15 minutes of that game when we came within an inch (well it seemed like it at the time) of bundling the ball over the line from a corner.

I think if we'd gone to Wembley and played proudly but ultimately lost it'd be gut wrenching, but the season would not be defined or tainted by it. But to go there and be so abject, lifeless and throw it away so miserably then its a big job for that not to be season defining, in my book at least. Getting to Wembley in itself should have been something we could be proud of but its just been ruined IMO. Like you say time will heal the wounds and lets all hope to god we get another chance back there to write the wrongs soon!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:45 am

I'm sorry, but Wembley will never erase those good away cup games on the way there. The atmosphere at Wigan was good, the one at Birmingham electric, top ten. Fantastic achievemnt in itself to win on 3 Premier grounds to make it as far as we did, and at the same time maintain a top-8 place.

Yesterday isn't taking that away from me, just like missing out on the Champions League didn't define Sam. He had the balls to put the Tiarra on the nag and go for it. It hurts more the closer you get. I can stand that pain.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 am

Given our history every season we stay in the top flight is a good season. On that basis there has been very little to complain about over the past 11 seasons!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Given our history every season we stay in the top flight is a good season. On that basis there has been very little to complain about over the past 11 seasons!
BWFCi on the road to Damascus! :pissed:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Surely the biblical reference should be leading us out of the desert?

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:09 pm

I think Moses lost his way to Wembley.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:20 pm

People are really after a refund?? feck*' hell! Would you pay double had we won?

We lose games, it happens.. If a club had to refund tickets everytime we didn't play well, they'd all be fookin bankrupt! But yeah, let's just find a couple of Million quid and give it to the fans eh?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:21 pm

Its not the loss that is the issue its they way we lost, unbelievable that some players just did not seem to want to get involved or try.
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:22 pm

People have actually asked that?

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:23 pm

Choppers wrote:Anyone else think that the second Ricketts is fit, Steinsson is warming the bench?
I'd prefer it if he was warming someone else's bench. Whatever we paid for him it was too much.

Mitch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Mitch » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:30 pm

We're just back from a weekend away ... almost cancelled it to go on the Wembley trip but reluctantly decided not to in the end. We searched and searched for a pub on Sunday that was showing the game but all had the Arsenal match. In the end we sat in the car listening on the radio. At half time we headed back with just the radio for company, my two lads were absolutely speechless. I listened to the rest with a glass or three to drown my sorrows. I am utterly bewildered at what happened.

I've skimmed through the thread and I can understand what some have said about it just not feeling right, even though I wasn't there it I felt that the belief we could go and actually make the final was missing. The optimism I felt after the result last week (yes I know it was a poor West Ham) went after we conceded the first. Couldn't explain why, wasn't even watching the game, it just felt wrong.

I hope the rest of the season doesn't go pear shaped now. I want to look forward to the game on Sunday, I want us to bloody Arsenal's noses like we used to ... I desperately want us to put in a good performance, I need us to win :Jedi: It's going to be a long week.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:People have actually asked that?
I've seen over half a dozen on here in the 5 minutes I've been lurking. Also on Facebook (like that matters) and Twitter..

feck*' staggering really
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:35 pm

HMX wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:OK, I'm feeling brave - where's there a link to the low-lites?
http://www.footytube.com/video/bolton-w ... an_vidgrid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers, HMX. Strange, a lot of the individual incidents aren't quite as I remember them, but overall it's every bit as bad! :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Surely the biblical reference should be leading us out of the desert?

I'll defer to your obvious expertise! :wink:

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Still pissed off.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:45 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:People have actually asked that?
I've seen over half a dozen on here in the 5 minutes I've been lurking. Also on Facebook (like that matters) and Twitter..

feck' staggering really
I've seen plenty asking for it and it is ridiculous. As dissapointed as I feel and angry as I feel the club can't go round refunding money everytime the team doesn't turn up.

However, I do think on this occassion some sort of small gesture would be fitting, to try and show that the players and club are hearing the pain the fans went through. Wouldn't cost anything to put a few players in the club shop signing stuff on Saturday.

Or even a free pie or pint voucher or sommat.

Can understand it won't happen and the reasons why but a bit of positive PR could do wonders right now!