Phoenix From the Flames.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Phoenix From the Flames.

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:06 pm

Right, well, that was shit wasn't it? However it has been a pretty dreamlike tenure so far for OC, and eventually a setback was bound to happen, even if we didn't expect it to be quite so crushingly brutal. Now, as ever, we are BWFC, and it's chin up cock, dry your eye and bounce back. I think performances this season show we are a team of average players playing for the most part at their best, but who bottle the bog occasions (yesterday, Chelsea home game) mingled with some genuine quality. I agree with BWFCi that this summer is a big defining one. We have seen OC has the man management skills to get a previously under performing squad performing at its best, but does he have the ruthlessness to strip away the deadwood and keep the bright shoots.

Now, trying to keep a sensible head, whilst fully understanding the 'sack em all' knee jerk of yesterday, who should go, stay, and (bullshit guesswork) come in?

Go:

Petrov- Seriously, get fecked. Ability is worthless when you have such a wank attitude. The third oh dear this could get ugly goal came from his refusal to be arsed. Robinson is limited, and one against one against quality in Pennant he was utterly Alan Pardew-ed. Big wage freebie, looked good at the time, but losses cut time.

Taylor- Just doesn't fit the Coyle mould. Polar opposite of Petrov, works hard, helps out Robbo, but offers square root of fook all going forward in this system. Good signing for someone playing 4-5-1. English, not too old, should command some pennies.

Cohen- Similar to Taylor in that can't fault his work rate, but he just isn't good enough to play CM in this system.

Cahill- Gonna be a star for a top team where he has a quality, commanding partner, but we can't afford to sit on a £15-20million centre half, especially when we can't find a settled, convincing back four. Cash in.

The out of contracts- Blake, JOB, Gardner etc... either injury prone or not good enough. Need wages

Keep: Steinsson. If he is off on a free, otherwise he'd be a 'sell for the right price'. Ricketts is out till the start of the season, we don't have a lot of pennies. He was wank yesterday, second goal particularly, and has had torrid times this season, but he'd be a keep purely because, given other priorities, I can't see an improvement for free.

Holden- Crucial. Nuff said

CYL- See Holden. Those two and Cahill our only three 'top' players.

SKD- 90 mins every week? No. Fantastic player to have against the right opposition when fully fit, or to chuck on from the bench? Absolutely. Need to pick the games to play him, but he is by no means finished yet.

Mark Davies- Really improved this season. Needs to stay fit though. If he does, could be a cracking player. Much more disciplined than he was.

Klasnic- Should never, ever, start. Shown up for lack of pace, movement, fitness, whatever yesterday. However, with seven subs, I'm not sure, going hell for leather in a game, needing a goal, there's anyone I'd rather chuck on for the last ten. No real sale value either.

Sam Ricketts- Solid, dependable cover all across the back four.

Alonso- Still a kid, hardly convincing so far but waaaay too soon to judge

Wheater- Solid, commanding, and, much more of a leader than Knight or Cahill. Sort of solid no frills defender we need. Also comfortable, if not amazing on the ball, vital in our system.

Knight- Cahill presumably off, Wheater only here six months. Average CB, shouldn't be first choice but more than capable back up, plus seems a good guy to have around.

Ali- Jussi has been a fantastic servant, a true legend in a world that word is overused. He is still a good prem keeper, but he is getting worse, and slower, and Ali looks the business at Wigan. A brave decision for a manger to make, but sooner or later Jussi will be past it.

Sell for the right price (no problem if they were still here, but if possible to get cash and use bits of the Cahill money to improve a few positions then sell):

Jussi- Great servant, coming to the end. Ideal world would see Bogdan off on loan, Ali number one and Jussi told to prove he is still good enough. However if he wanted to leave for first team football it would be understandable.

Robinson- Average. I like him, but if possible an improvement there would be nice. Not sure we'd get very much though.

Muamba- Another one I like, and would have no problem keeping as a back up, but again, I'm not sure we can afford a young, English, saleable asset as 3rd or fourth choice midfielder. He is never suddenly going to able to pass a ball, and unfortunately that is crucial in our system. He knows he is shocking on the ball too and it leaves so much strain on Holden. THe rest of his game is brilliant, but if we are to progress he just isn't quite good enough.

Keep if poss:

Elmander- wildly infuriating, so so frustrating in his incosistency, but, cannot argue with 12 goals, especially given he has barely played up top since Jan. Willingness to play anywhere and a replacement of similar quality is not going to be cheap. Yes he has his flaws, but changes in other areas are needed and it should be evolution not revolution.

Sturridge. Doubtful if he was available permanently we'd be able to afford him or attract him over bigger clubs sniffing. However I have a feeling Abramovich fancies another blast in the transfer window and I'm not sure he'll get games there. Loan move to familiar surroundings might work in our favour.

The bullshit section, possible signings:

OC model seems to indicate out of contract 'stars' or young, rough diamonds.

First of all, Cahill replacement. Stoke yesterday showed at centre half what we should be striving for. Two young, committed, physical lads who take pride in clean sheets, stick their bodies on the line, but also are comfortable if not brilliant on the ball. Johnson and Danns at Birmingham are similar. I think in Wheater we already have one of those. Captain at Bruff, talks, puts his face in. I'd like to see us go for either Matt Mills (if Reading don't come up) or Jack Hobbs at Leicester. Both young, both leaders (both captains). Johnson, Danns and Shawcross proven Championship centre halves can step up to Prem level and be solid.

Midfield. Aaron Ramsey on loan. Please. If not, O'Hara type. Must be comfortable on the ball and have a good engine. Too much to hope for Holden mkII, but Muamba with technical ability would be nice. Not seen much of Pratley mentioned recently. Possible?

Up front. Hopefully Elmo and Sturridge will stay on, but if not we need a replacement each. For a decent price (ducks under parapet) Bendtner would be excellent for us, if not too billy big bollocks. Struggling after that.

Massive post, but we have thoughts to get out of our systems, however Football Manager this might be. So, you're OC, what do you do to get us to rise again?

xx
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Phoenix From the Flames.

Post by Il Pirate » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:12 pm

A young lad on the train platform yesterday said ' Jussi's like yer grandad who can no longer drive safely. You know it's a difficult decision, but you know for his own and everyone else's safety, you've got to take his licence off him'.
Last edited by Il Pirate on Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Agree with most/ all of them, really.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Agree with all of that Pru, especially about centre halves bit!

Bendtner for ability yes, but his attitude stinks, so on that basis IAMOUT.

But rest is absolute sense!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Matthew Claude Mills would also continue the 'brilliant middle names beginning with 'C'' thing we have going on.

Saw Hobbs is on loan at Hull atm, reunited with Pearson, after Sven jizzed his pants on centre halves. Really surprised at that. Was their captain last year and looked brilliant.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:58 pm

I don't think one game is worth ripping up a side that is 8th in the league, however much there is an England-post WC desire to see the 11 yesterday taken out and shot. That's a recipe for a Sammy Lee-esque disaster, especially if we try and replace them with free's and cheap players.

It is odd that there has been nothing what-so-ever on Steinsson being out of contract (we gave him a three and a half year deal in 2008). I'd like to think we'll keep him as he's flawed but decent enough. Obviously keeping Elmander is a no-brainer, but out of our hands. As is Sturridge. I'd have no real complaints if we kept Gardner or Cohen, but really I think we'll move them, Joey, J'Lloyd and Blake, on.

That's five players out of a small squad (albeit they must have about 10 appearances between them), but I don't think we could afford to lose too many more without struggling for bodies.

Petrov is shite, an as big a disapointment as just about any signing I can remember. As much as yesterday was most of our team reaching a previously unreached level of bollocks, Petrov giving the ball away and then standing to watch Pennant set up the third pretty much sums up his season. That said, we're committed to a large contract and who's going to buy him? We might as well keep him and wait for his 1 in 10 displays of ability. I think Taylor is still better than Petrov, but he's not what Coyle wants. We'd probably get decent money for him as well.

So then (from the obvious candidates):

Keep: Elmander, Sturridge, Gardner, Petrov, Steinsson

Lose: Blake, JOB, Cohen, Al Habsi (£££), Taylor, Rodrigo

Buy: At least a fast striker, another midfielder and a winger of some description. If you're asking me to pluck names out those who we've been linked with - Maynard, Pratley and SWP.

As an aside, I truly hope Klasnic (love him as I do) is on a salary that reflects his ability to only play for the last 15 minutes of a game.

EDIT: Having Googled it, Sky Sports reported when we signed Steinsson that there was an option for another year in his contract.

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:14 pm

Full agreement pru

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 pm

I quite like the look of rodrigo... I think he'd be worth hanging onto...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:24 pm

thebish wrote:I quite like the look of rodrigo... I think he'd be worth hanging onto...
I was keen earlier but seeing as he can't get into a side where we're playing Elmander in midfield and can't even get on when we're 3-0 down needing attacking half time subs at Wembley I'm questioning whether spending cash on him would be a good idea.

My opinion is we now need to focus on players READY to play in the first team. Buying the likes of Eaves and putting them in the reserves is fine. That will sort itself out.

But spending millions of pounds on younger players who play 10 times a season and sit on a bench in our position? Not for me. Not now.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Keep Rodrigo. Play him left wing.

In fact, barring 1 exception, I want us to keep everyone who played yesterday. 1 game does not a season maketh, and up until now, they've been doing well.

The exception. Petrov can feck off. We want players who want to play, and he's looked disinterested all season. A disgrace to McGinlay's (and Okocha's...feck it, even Holdsworth's) shirt.

Muamba needs to not have to start every game. Elmander needs to never play CM again. Klasnic needs to never, EVER start again.

Between now and the end of the season, I want to see players like Josh Vela, Connolly (who'll be needed next season, I think, especially if Cahill vacates the premises) and Eaves starting to be blooded in. A sub appearance here and there.

If Elmander's gonna go, fine. But next season, our shopping list MUST include:

2 new quality centre midfielders. We can't be left short if we lose Holden again.

1 new left winger.

1 new right winger. Backup for Chungy

2 new strikers. Kev isn't gonna last forever, Klasnic is forbidden from starting, Elmander might be going, Sturridge probably is. Park Chu Young would be a start. I'd also splash any cash we have for Keisuke Honda.

And if Cahill goes, another CB. Curtis Davies?

Eborted
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eborted » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:10 pm

I agree with almost all of your input apart from Steinsson and Muamba. I can't see who would be in the market for the former and the latter could be a valuable first team player. He was terrific last season, easily our 2nd best player behind CYL. While as you said he's unconvincing with the ball at his feet he's a great tackler and against the right teams his contribution could be vital because of how brilliant he is off the ball like you said. Switch him with Mark depending on what is needed most. I thought he played ok in parts yday. I also think Knight might not be done as a first team option for us.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:17 pm

IIRC - last summer - Moo said he was gonna learn how to shoot! 8)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Worth mentioning we have Sam Rickets as cover for RB,CD, so getting players fit will help the cause a bit.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:24 pm

How about Alexander Hleb?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:27 pm

HMX wrote:How about Alexander Hleb?
I haven't really been following his Brum progress, hows he doing?

If we'd be getting the same player Arsenal had, then yes please!

Also gotta say that I'd snatch your hand off for Nicklas Bendtner, he's the sort of player that I think might thrive in a "small pond" environment.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:29 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
HMX wrote:How about Alexander Hleb?
I haven't really been following his Brum progress, hows he doing?

If we'd be getting the same player Arsenal had, then yes please!

Also gotta say that I'd snatch your hand off for Nicklas Bendtner, he's the sort of player that I think might thrive in a "small pond" environment.
Only seen him in a couple of matches and thought he did well - otherwise, I'm not sure when he last played.

I'm going off his Arsenal times too.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:17 pm

Ferrie Bodde...

that's all

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Veloso.

Come on bish, getting slow in yer owd age.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:04 am

I don't agree with anyone suggesting getting rid of steinsson. He's out of his depth at times and maybe he doesn't quite make the grade. But let's be honest he is backup to rickets and he clearly wants to play for the club and a player like that deserves a chance.

On sturridge, if Chelsea do go striker shopping, I could see us having the money given for him as he'll push for the move I think again.

Petrov= get rid. Nothing but a disappointment and looks completely lacking in motivation and if he can't be bothered then I can't be bothered with him.
truewhite15 wrote: Also gotta say that I'd snatch your hand off for Nicklas Bendtner, he's the sort of player that I think might thrive in a "small pond" environment.
I think he'd be a massive risk. Especially if he still thinks he's the bet striker in he world but think he could be a star here which might make him thrive...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Agree with everything the man from the Pru has to say. I also think we should try for Bendtner, Big fish in a small pond may work miracles for him and you never know Owen may try for him even for a cheeky loan
Pfffft.