W*nky wanderers? Its perfectly natural...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GeraldCid
Hopeful
Hopeful

W*nky wanderers? Its perfectly natural...

Post by GeraldCid » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:52 pm

Does anybody know what season the w*nky wanderers chant started up? Its always baffled me. I mean you never hear Stoke fans chanting "sh*tty sh*tty stoke" or "f*ucky f*ucky Fulham" for example. Ive spoken to a few friends and family that are Everton, Wigan and Man U fans, and they dont get it at all. I think that's why I quite like it though, its unique and nobody really gets it, sort of like an in-joke.
French centre-back currently without club, will consider any role. Experienced plumber.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: W*nky wanderers? Its perfectly natural...

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:55 pm

I remember it being sung at Burnden back in the day by both sets of fans, not really sure when we took it as our own. I like it as it's jokey and amusing
Pfffft.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:58 pm

irony

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:59 pm

I like it - nothing like a little playful self-deprecation. It sets us apart too.

Guess it works better for us with the syllable count and 'w' alliteration.

ebby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ebby » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:00 pm

i assumed it was an away fans chant, we sing it to reduce the effect (if any) it has of away fans singing it...also it's a good song if the away fans have been signing it all game and then we beat them

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:00 pm

As one of the only chants we've got that are in the slightest bit unique to us, I'm happy with it.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:01 pm

We marched through a couple of thousand Stoke, and it started up.

We gave it back with hand gestures belting it out at full volume. You could see the angry look in their eyes, it pissed them off.

Its our song now.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:01 pm

We sing it because we're Wanky and because we're Wanderers.

I thought that much was obvious?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Was thinking about this at Wembley, as confused looks crossed the faces of those family members I was taking to their first BWFC game.

It's irony, as James says; it's playful self-deprecation, as HMX says; and as TKIZ says, it stretches back well into the Burnden days. The tune is from Chicory Tip's 1972 No.1, the Giorgio Moroder-penned Moog masterpiece Son of my Father (click to enjoy some fine period dress), and I would assume its use at Bolton dates back to the times when the words were changed to mark "Franky Worthington" – although any earlier citations would be gratefully received.

I'd furthermore assume that opposition fans replied with "W*nky Wanderers". Certainly when I started attending in the mid-80s we heard it gleefully sung at us every week, but I don't recall Bolton fans singing it - the standard response was sarcastic applause. I've only noticed it sung by Bolton fans over the last five years or so. As noted, it "reclaims" a song formerly used as abuse - not dissimilar to, if much less important than, some black people have reclaimed that word beginning with n and some gays revel in using the q-word. And as in those instances, it's only really appropriate to use it if you're part of the relevant minority.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Was thinking about this at Wembley, as confused looks crossed the faces of those family members I was taking to their first BWFC game.

It's irony, as James says; it's playful self-deprecation, as HMX says; and as TKIZ says, it stretches back well into the Burnden days. The tune is from Chicory Tip's 1972 No.1, the Giorgio Moroder-penned Moog masterpiece Son of my Father (click to enjoy some fine period dress), and I would assume its use at Bolton dates back to the times when the words were changed to mark "Franky Worthington" – although any earlier citations would be gratefully received.

I'd furthermore assume that opposition fans replied with "W*nky Wanderers". Certainly when I started attending in the mid-80s we heard it gleefully sung at us every week, but I don't recall Bolton fans singing it - the standard response was sarcastic applause. I've only noticed it sung by Bolton fans over the last five years or so. As noted, it "reclaims" a song formerly used as abuse - not dissimilar to, if much less important than, some black people have reclaimed that word beginning with n and some gays revel in using the q-word. And as in those instances, it's only really appropriate to use it if you're part of the relevant minority.
Was just about to post similair.

It's our 'N' word, our 'Q' word or, for the Spurs fans our 'Y' word.

We joined in with a chorus on the tube on the way to Wembley. The Stokies genuinely didn't know how to react. :pissed:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: As noted, it "reclaims" a song formerly used as abuse - not dissimilar to, if much less important than, some black people have reclaimed that word beginning with n and some gays revel in using the q-word. And as in those instances, it's only really appropriate to use it if you're part of the relevant minority.
Was just about to post similar. It's our 'N' word, our 'Q' word or, for the Spurs fans our 'Y' word.
Know what you mean but shakier ground there, unless they're (obviously?) Jewish.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: As noted, it "reclaims" a song formerly used as abuse - not dissimilar to, if much less important than, some black people have reclaimed that word beginning with n and some gays revel in using the q-word. And as in those instances, it's only really appropriate to use it if you're part of the relevant minority.
Was just about to post similar. It's our 'N' word, our 'Q' word or, for the Spurs fans our 'Y' word.
Know what you mean but shakier ground there, unless they're (obviously?) Jewish.

Yiddish, surely? Not entirely the same.

Edit: just checked. They are. :?

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:07 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

:grin: :fingers:

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:08 pm

:D

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote: :grin: :fingers:
Man, I forget we had this emote: :fingers: - Would definitely come in handy for a few of my posts :(

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wonka » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm

I was walking up Wembley Way when thousands of Stoke fans launched into a rendition of "Wanky Wanderers". Straight away, the Whites fans joined in and the Stoke fans stopped pretty bemused.

It totally baffles and disarms the opposition fans, so pretty much the best retort you could hope for.
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:44 pm

We'll sing enough of it on Sunday

C'mon now everyone 'Oh W**** W******'
Pfffft.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:24 pm

I had the opposite run-in with some Stokies. They were singing "we'll play how we want", so I chipped in with a cheeky "score from a thrown in" and they all 20 jumped back right at us. feck, I wish I felt up to the same camaraderie after the game

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:15 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Was thinking about this at Wembley, as confused looks crossed the faces of those family members I was taking to their first BWFC game.

Football fans are so cruel! :pissed:

Now we've got it why not have "Son of my Father" as the club anthem? At least we'd be able to sing along to it next year!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.