New Shirt Sponsor?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

New Shirt Sponsor?

Post by SonsOfThunder » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:03 pm

So the 188Bet deal started at the beginning of the 09/10 season and was for two years. If I recall correctly it was one of the lowest-paying sponsorships in the Prem (Wigan being in the same boat obviously). Well I think the team have most definitely earned a higher-paying sponsor/deal this year, haven't they?

But I was doing some searching and came across the 188Bet Wiki, which claims that Bolton have signed a two-year extension today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/188BET" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has anyone else heard news of this? Will we really be subject to two more years of the orange blob plastered onto the front of our shirts? Will 188Bet be paying more in this new deal? A decent shirt sponsor would bring in a bit of extra cash and that might translate into more funds for Coyle this summer.

Here is a mockup I did real quick for another site:

As you can see, having a sponsor that actually somewhat matches our shirts' color scheme (or at least doesn't clash with it horrendously) results in a drastic improvement.

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Re: New Shirt Sponsor?

Post by SonsOfThunder » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:06 pm

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/page/General/0,,1 ... 31,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing about the figures. I certainly hope the new deal is worth more.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:10 pm

SonsOfThunder wrote:As you can see, having a sponsor that actually somewhat matches our shirts' color scheme.
Oh my fecking God. someone pass me the claw hammer!!! :wall: :roll: :wall: :roll: :wall: :roll: :wall:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:39 pm

There are just no suitable words. Colour coordinated sponsorship. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:34 pm

When does the new shirt come out?
Pfffft.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:03 pm

It'll be worn for the last game of the season

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Believe the deal with 188 was £750k a year... Since Blackburn get £1.5m from Crown Paints I would hope we can at least match that this time around!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:17 pm

I went to a 188 'focus group' about a year back, and they confirmed that figure as well.....would be surprised if it has gone up, as the original was £750,000 per annum but heavily incentivised for league and cup ( :( ) success

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
SonsOfThunder wrote:As you can see, having a sponsor that actually somewhat matches our shirts' color scheme.
Oh my fecking God. someone pass me the claw hammer!!! :wall: :roll: :wall: :roll: :wall: :roll: :wall:
TANGODANCER wrote:There are just no suitable words. Colour coordinated sponsorship. :lol:
Well let's be honest I'm more concerned about the money than anyone's fashion sensibilities. But then again a picture speaks a thousand words so maybe that point didn't come across very clearly.

Our deal with 188Bet is one of the lowest in the Prem and their logo is a hideous orange blob, which I'm sure doesn't have the best effect on shirt sales. It's about getting cash for the club, not about being a fashionista.
Last edited by SonsOfThunder on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:21 pm

SonsOfThunder wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:There are just no suitable words. Colour coordinated sponsorship. :lol:
Well let's be honest I'm more concerned about the money than anyone's fashion sensibilities. But then again a picture speaks a thousand words so maybe that point didn't come across very clearly.

Our deal with 188Bet is one of the lowest in the Prem and their logo is a hideous orange blob, which I'm sure doesn't have the best affect on shirt sales. It's about getting cash for the club, not about being a fashionista.
Agreed, but what makes you think they might have turned down larger offers, just so we could have the orange blob? I suspect we have a large orange blob, because it was the best offer we had on the table...

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Well I made the mockup before I even knew about the new deal. LG have actually become the new principal sponsor of the FA Cup but it was just an example. It's just that I would be extremely surprised if the new deal wasn't for a larger sum. You're telling me that the advertising space on Venky's Chicken FC's shirts is worth more than ours in light of this season?

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:37 pm

I raise you this... Something iconic. Something legendary. Something... presumptious.

Something I made earlier:

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:41 pm

:pray:

I'd buy that

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:48 pm

HMX wrote:I raise you this... Something iconic. Something legendary. Something... presumptious.

Something I made earlier:

LOL. It always puts a smile on my face when I see that advertisement during corner kicks. :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:50 pm

SonsOfThunder wrote:Well I made the mockup before I even knew about the new deal. LG have actually become the new principal sponsor of the FA Cup but it was just an example. It's just that I would be extremely surprised if the new deal wasn't for a larger sum. You're telling me that the advertising space on Venky's Chicken FC's shirts is worth more than ours in light of this season?
Not in light of this season, no. When we signed up for a large orange blob, then probably yes. I seem to recall about the time we signed up for the bigorangeblobco, we had been on telly the minimum number of games possible, typically got knocked out of every cup first go and were decent candidates for a trip down a division...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:12 pm

SonsOfThunder wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Our deal with 188Bet is one of the lowest in the Prem and their logo is a hideous orange blob, which I'm sure doesn't have the best effect on shirt sales. It's about getting cash for the club, not about being a fashionista.
You just don't get this 'supporter' business, do you? Also, you contradict yourself fully in your last paragraph!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:19 am

Worthy4England wrote:I seem to recall about the time we signed up for the bigorangeblobco, we had been on telly the minimum number of games possible, typically got knocked out of every cup first go and were decent candidates for a trip down a division...
After today against Arsenal I make it 9 games on TV this season in the league. I think we get a bigger slice of pie after 10 games, so agonizingly close this season.

It was interesting seeing all the different shirts down at Wembley. There were a lot of the old-style ones with no sponsor. The current shirt was probably the most popular one but there were plenty with either the retro ones or shirts from the past 5-or-so years.

Would be good to know how much the new deal is for (old one was £900k I think in a joint deal with Wigan) and how much the club makes from shirt sales.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:51 am

have 188Bet renewed their sponsorship deal with wiggin as well then? Or will they be waiting to see what league they are in next season?

I much preferred it when we had reebok on the front of our shirts
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:43 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I seem to recall about the time we signed up for the bigorangeblobco, we had been on telly the minimum number of games possible, typically got knocked out of every cup first go and were decent candidates for a trip down a division...
After today against Arsenal I make it 9 games on TV this season in the league. I think we get a bigger slice of pie after 10 games, so agonizingly close this season.

It was interesting seeing all the different shirts down at Wembley. There were a lot of the old-style ones with no sponsor. The current shirt was probably the most popular one but there were plenty with either the retro ones or shirts from the past 5-or-so years.

Would be good to know how much the new deal is for (old one was £900k I think in a joint deal with Wigan) and how much the club makes from shirt sales.
We get the TV money from the Premier League for 10 games regardless of how many times below that we're on, but obviously the number of live games affects our own sponsors.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:49 pm

scotty wrote:have 188Bet renewed their sponsorship deal with wiggin as well then? Or will they be waiting to see what league they are in next season?

I much preferred it when we had reebok on the front of our shirts
Just checked, nothing on their website. I can imagine they'll be waiting as they won't give as much money to a championship side, if they offer them a deal.

I think we must make a lot out of shirts, it's generally pretty packed on shirt release weeks, orange blob or not.
I think it was the style of shirt, bar the last one before 188bet, that was better with just reebok, last years was horrible.