Official Gary Cahill transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Official Gary Cahill transfer thread

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon May 02, 2011 7:43 pm

Seems pretty inevitable that yon centre-half is off this summer.

The golden question though is to where? Personally I'd rather accept a bit less in cash money and get reinforcements in via exchanges.

Such as.....
SHAUN Wright-Phillips could be offered to Wanderers as a sweetener as Manchester City plan a summer swoop for Gary Cahill.

Reports on Sunday claimed that Roberto Mancini was ready to use the England winger and £15million to land Cahill ahead of Liverpool and Tottenham at the end of the season.

City are planning for life without the suspended Kolo Toure next season and with the jury still out on Joleon Lescott as a top level performer, the club have targeted Wanderers’ prized asset.

Owen Coyle is facing up to losing the centre-half in the summer and it is understood he would favour a deal that includes a player to improve his squad.

He also made a move to loan Wright-Phillips in January but the club could not afford to take on his £80,000-a-week wages.

The player had indicated he would like to sign for Wanderers ahead of fellow suitors Fulham, and if Coyle could convince him to reduce his terms, he would suit the attacking style favoured by the Scot.
So.....where is he going

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Official Gary Cahill transfer thread

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:46 pm

I like Shaun Wrighty, and I'd love to see him in a Bolton shirt...but as a part-ex for Gaz Beckenbauer? I'm not sure...

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon May 02, 2011 8:04 pm

The market is primed for us. At least 3-4 top clubs in England looking for a decent centre back, a couple from abroad mooted and Cahill's stock is at its highest, arguably.

If I was him, I think the Liverpool resurgence might be a good train to bag a ride on.

City I can't see ending well. If they don't get success, they'll just buy someone better, and there are plenty. And I don't want the donkey (and that's not racist, it's because he's shit) near our team. Overpaid, over-fancy donkey.

Arsenal is a possibility too, and I think this is where we could get our best deal in the form of cash and some guaranteed loanees for a season or so.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Don't be amazed if he ends up courted by the worst bunch of 'em all. Rio's getting no younger, party boy Evans isn't living up to the club's hopes and they've previous for spending big on young Englishmen.

Would be especially nice if they drive up the price, as there'll be a few teams interested. Liverpool need a reliable foil for Carragher and he'd fit their archetype; Spurs need a centre-back who's not always lying down, whether on the fitness table or left on his arse a la Dawson; Arsenal know they need help in defence and might appreciate his skills; Chelsea have been linked before, and City will be interested because everyone else is.

Whatever, best keep it straight cash - any "side" deals (SWP, Hutton, whoever) to be concluded separately.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Glad to see that this thread's "Official". That'll feck those pan-handlers right off. What,with their boot-leggingly simple 'Gary Cahill Transfer Thread'.?. :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:49 pm

I would accept Shaun Wrighty as part of the deal if City match the highest bidder. Fair?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Arsenal never spend big so I think they're a non starter. Liverpool or either of the Mancs seem most likely imo.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 02, 2011 9:55 pm

'Arry will be sniffing no doubt about that

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Hoboh wrote:'Arry will be sniffing no doubt about that
Well if you say so then he will, Hoboh. More so given your track record of being so right on everything!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Well if you say so then he will, Hoboh. More so given your track record of being so right on everything!
:oops: actually I thought it would rain this weekend!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
:oops: actually I thought it would rain this weekend!
It will, Mate. It will. :wink:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 02, 2011 10:31 pm

Sneaky feeling, along with DSB, that The Metrosexuals will throw their cap in the ring. Ferdinand is creaking now.

Good.

Cos they'll up the price. If he's leaving, I don't care where, as long as we get the most we can for him.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

GeraldCid
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by GeraldCid » Mon May 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Who would you buy with the windfall? (Assuming Gartside gives us a decent amount). A direct replacement? Somebody to fill Jussi's gloves? That elusive attacking midfielder?
French centre-back currently without club, will consider any role. Experienced plumber.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:18 pm

GeraldCid wrote:Who would you buy with the windfall? (Assuming Gartside gives us a decent amount). A direct replacement? Somebody to fill Jussi's gloves? That elusive attacking midfielder?
We've got somebody to fill Jussi's gloves, his name's Ali Al Habsi.

It'd have to be split between a direct replacement and either a midfielder or a striker...

GeraldCid
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by GeraldCid » Mon May 02, 2011 11:33 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
GeraldCid wrote:Who would you buy with the windfall? (Assuming Gartside gives us a decent amount). A direct replacement? Somebody to fill Jussi's gloves? That elusive attacking midfielder?
We've got somebody to fill Jussi's gloves, his name's Ali Al Habsi.

It'd have to be split between a direct replacement and either a midfielder or a striker...
Really hope Al Habsi stays, it'd give Bogdan a few more seasons to sharpen up his game too. Assuming West Ham are going down, I'd have a look at Tomkins. I've only watched a few Hammers games this season but he's looked ok & he's young. Spector's contract is up in June also.
French centre-back currently without club, will consider any role. Experienced plumber.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:55 am

According to The Daily Mail, City are trying to tempt us with Bellamy and Dedryck Boyata. Bellamy we know plenty about (Including massive wages) but Boyata has only made a handful of appearances for City. He is only 20 years old so may be a Coyle signing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -deal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 03, 2011 8:09 am

malcd1 wrote:According to The Daily Mail, City are trying to tempt us with Bellamy and Dedryck Boyata. Bellamy we know plenty about (Including massive wages) but Boyata has only made a handful of appearances for City. He is only 20 years old so may be a Coyle signing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -deal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also in the Mirror the same story.

I think Bellamy, Boyata and cash would be a great deal. Also a very unlikely one.

Can't see City releasing Boyata (they rate him highly) so I assume they would do a loan. Unless they're desperate for Cahill I guess. Bellamy would be ideal apart from his age and reported salary. But he's not the sort of bloke I can see being too happy to be used as a makeweight in a deal like this. I imagine he'd prefer to have control over his own destiny.

How often do swaps like this come off? Must be once in a blue moon. Lots of factors involved I guess.

Anyhow's from all points of view (player swaps, driving up prices, daft money etc) IF City are one of the players in this thats a really good thing for us!

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Tue May 03, 2011 10:00 am

I know one of his best mates and he told him in January that he wanted to sign for a London club. Arsenal and Spurs are the prime candidates
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 03, 2011 10:04 am

MJH-12 wrote:I know one of his best mates and he told him in January that he wanted to sign for a London club. Arsenal and Spurs are the prime candidates
I heard exactly the same thing, Chelsea was a possibility but they went for Luiz instead.

He might have a problem though as Arsenal may not want to pay the price and Spurs may want to but not be able to, again could be player swaps involved I guess.

If Citeh have an offer accepted though, can't see Cahill turning his nose up, not like these chances come around every 5 minutes!

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Tue May 03, 2011 10:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
MJH-12 wrote:I know one of his best mates and he told him in January that he wanted to sign for a London club. Arsenal and Spurs are the prime candidates
I heard exactly the same thing, Chelsea was a possibility but they went for Luiz instead.

He might have a problem though as Arsenal may not want to pay the price and Spurs may want to but not be able to, again could be player swaps involved I guess.

If Citeh have an offer accepted though, can't see Cahill turning his nose up, not like these chances come around every 5 minutes!
Good point, I'd be disappointed to see him go to Citeh because he deserves regular first team football and it seems City can't offer that to anyone other than a select few. Arsenal are definitely his best option.....but as you say, it all depends on whether they want to pay the price for him
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"