Blackpool

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DIPS
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Blackpool

Post by DIPS » Tue May 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Great Lever Whites will be out in force for this one, all managed to get tiks. I can see Old Bill being over this one all day. I expect anyone who gets of the train to be cordoned and marched straight to the stadium.
walter Mackem wrote: Lets get this clear, we can come and take what we want from your tawdry little club whenever we want.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue May 10, 2011 8:23 pm

BwfcDan wrote:
boltonboris wrote:I believe they like to 'storm' the Castle Pub
Is that where The-Wanderer mob are drinking? :D
I think you'll find they'll be drinking tea, in their living rooms

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Tue May 10, 2011 8:39 pm

William the White wrote:I've had no real experience of Blackpool supporters recently - but in the past they were truly repellent...

But Holloway has been fun, and so has his team... I never want us to do anything other thn win, bu if we help Blackpool stay up, I don't really mind that much...

On the other hand, if we can keep Man City out of the top four on the final day - I'll be smiling widely... :D
I agree with this. Holloway provides too much entertainment to not be in the EPL. However, we will get 850k for every higher place. Would rather not see Blackpool go down though.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Gaz Tomorrow wrote:
William the White wrote:I've had no real experience of Blackpool supporters recently - but in the past they were truly repellent...

But Holloway has been fun, and so has his team... I never want us to do anything other thn win, bu if we help Blackpool stay up, I don't really mind that much...

On the other hand, if we can keep Man City out of the top four on the final day - I'll be smiling widely... :D
I agree with this. Holloway provides too much entertainment to not be in the EPL. However, we will get 850k for every higher place. Would rather not see Blackpool go down though.
if we beat them and they go down - it won't be our fault - at least it will be no more our fault than any other team that has beaten them this season...

GeraldCid
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by GeraldCid » Tue May 10, 2011 10:27 pm

DIPS wrote:Great Lever Whites will be out in force for this one, all managed to get tiks. I can see Old Bill being over this one all day. I expect anyone who gets of the train to be cordoned and marched straight to the stadium.
Any idea if there are other police measures being taken? Dry trains etc?

Also, I'm intrigued mate, what's to do with your signature? Sounds like a quote from some rag or citeh fan!
French centre-back currently without club, will consider any role. Experienced plumber.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 10, 2011 10:37 pm

It is a quote from a Sunderland fan on here being all billy big bollocks. I think it was around the time they were after Jussi and Allardyce, and failed.

DIPS could no doubt explain better, but the fecker is never here anymore!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 11, 2011 9:29 am

Gaz Tomorrow wrote:We will get 850k for every higher place.
£750k, but the point is good.
William the White wrote:On the other hand, if we can keep Man City out of the top four on the final day - I'll be smiling widely... :D
Not going to happen now. And irksomely, they're now only two point behind Arsenal in the third spot which guarantees direct entry to the "Champions" "League" group stages, as opposed to the pre-qualifiers. Arsenal have Villa at home this Sunday, which they should win, while City host Stoke next Tuesday, which is harder to predict. They might need all three points from our game. But then again, so might we: at the moment 8th is four points above 14th, and there's £4.5m of prize-money difference between those two positions.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed May 11, 2011 9:47 am

David Conn (I think it was him.....was some baldy footy finance chap) wrote last week that it was £850,000! I prefer to go with his figures, that £100,000 could go towards a week wages for van Nistelrooy

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 11, 2011 9:50 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:David Conn (I think it was him.....was some baldy footy finance chap) wrote last week that it was £850,000!
Oh OK. It was you that quoted £750k...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 11, 2011 10:21 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Oh OK. It was you that quoted £750k...[/quote]

I think 850,000 is probably a rounded figure...

in 2007/8 it was £720,000
in 2008/9 it was £761,000 which represented a 5% increase
in 2009/10 it was £800,424 which represented a 5% increase

with a similar 5% increase I reckon it will be about £840,000

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 11, 2011 10:48 am

thebish wrote:I think 850,000 is probably a rounded figure...

There was a link LL posted from a newspaperman saying it went down

I've had a look on the PL site but no evidence either way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 11, 2011 10:53 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
thebish wrote:I think 850,000 is probably a rounded figure...

There was a link LL posted from a newspaperman saying it went down

I've had a look on the PL site but no evidence either way

I may be wrong - but I don't think they announce in advance. If they do - then I certainly can't find any evidence of any such announcement of how much it will be for 2010/2011...

either way - it's significant and not to be sniffed at - and certainly more than enough to banish any ideas of deliberately chucking games to help Blackpool out - unless - like ManU and Tevez/West Ham we have an entirely legitimate and wholly above board and legal arrangement that if we help them out by chucking the game we can have Charlie Adam for free... ;-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 11, 2011 10:58 am

thebish wrote:either way - it's significant and not to be sniffed at - and certainly more than enough to banish any ideas of deliberately chucking games to help Blackpool out - unless - like ManU and Tevez/West Ham we have an entirely legitimate and wholly above board and legal arrangement that if we help them out by chucking the game we can have Charlie Adam for free... ;-)
In a somewhat related note - it's just this year become illegal in Spain to accept "gifts" from third parties to encourage you to play to your maximum... eg if Wolves offered us back-massages in order to beat Blackpool...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Blackpool - obviously - are seeing it as a must-win... no pressure then! :wink:
skyspurts wrote:Keith Southern admits this weekend's clash with Bolton is one of the biggest games in the club's history.

The Seasiders take on Bolton at Bloomfield Road on Saturday, the penultimate fixture in what has been a remarkable Premier League campaign for Ian Holloway's side following their surprise promotion via the Championship play-offs a year ago.

Staying up would arguably be an even more notable achievement, although having continued to upset the odds for much of this season, a run of only one win in their past 16 matches has seen Blackpool slide into the relegation zone and they are currently a point adrift of safety.

They face a trip to champions-elect Manchester United in their final game and Tangerines midfielder Southern feels the team need to take maximum points from the Bolton contest if they are to have any chance of getting themselves out of trouble.

"They are two massive games and Saturday's is probably going to be the biggest in the club's history I would have thought," Southern told the club's official website.

"It will be bigger than (the play-off final at) Wembley and bigger than anything we have experienced, certainly in the last few years.

"It is must-win - I don't think a point will be any good to us really.

"We'll hopefully get the three points and then go to Manchester United on the last day, where anything you get is a bonus really.

"If we can win on Saturday it will give the lads a massive boost for that last day.

"We are running out of games, basically. There are two games left and we are in the relegation zone by a point, so whether you put pressure on yourself or not, it really is must-win as far as I'm concerned."

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Thu May 12, 2011 8:18 am

Has the preview for this match been put up yet?..i'm struggling to find it...When i click on the Blackpool preview the Sunderland one comes up
Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 12, 2011 8:23 am

Alien3 wrote:Has the preview for this match been put up yet?..i'm struggling to find it...When i click on the Blackpool preview the Sunderland one comes up

the sunderland one is so good, they decided to have it for every game... :wink:

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu May 12, 2011 8:45 am

Did Gillingham win at the weekend by the way?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu May 12, 2011 4:21 pm

Mentioned in today's Guardian
Much of the rest of the article is just feeble - like the idea we could manufacture a rivalry with Wigan (or Plucky Little Wigan as we know them). They were in the Northern Premier League until the early 1970's for God's sake.

One part of it though really rankled, which is the suggestion that there is "no history" between Blackpool and Bolton. I suggest the author researches the events of 24th August 1974 and reflects upon them ; many of us do, every time we play Wanderers, and that enmity is another that is both poisonous and also runs very deep in the town.

All in all, a poor effort ; ill-thought out, ignorant of Lancashire footballing history and sneeringly dismissive of a club that most of the country currently seems to think a lot of. It makes me wonder about the allegiance of the author ; and also at the quality of what masquerades as football journalism in the Guardian these days.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Mentioned in today's Guardian
One part of it though really rankled, which is the suggestion that there is "no history" between Blackpool and Bolton. I suggest the author researches the events of 24th August 1974 and reflects upon them ; many of us do, every time we play Wanderers, and that enmity is another that is both poisonous and also runs very deep in the town.
Although your snippet lacks context so I may be unfairly maligning the writer (or below-the-line commenter?), I'd suggest there was a notable slice of history between Blackpool and Bolton on 2nd May 1953...

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu May 12, 2011 4:44 pm

It's Paul Wilson, so malign away