Looking for info

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

youngy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Looking for info

Post by youngy » Mon May 23, 2011 11:29 am

Hi folks - new member and Hearts fan here.

My club have just announced plans to look into the possibility of moving away from our long-time home to a new purpose-built stadium. I believe that Bolton (possibly amongst others) were consulted and tours taken of the Reebok.

I was wondering, therefore, how you guys - having made the same kind of move a few years ago now - feel about the Reebok stadium?

I have never had the pleasure of attending a match at the Reebok, so was wondering how good it's match atmosphere is for example.

Cheers in advance
Alan
Heart of Midlothian FC - The Heart and Soul of Edinburgh

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Looking for info

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 23, 2011 11:57 am

Its worked well for us.....so far.

The emotional ties have to be broken, but we went from a club having spent 3 seasons in the top flight in the previous 30, to a club thats spent 12 of 15 in it at the Bok.

It was certainly a major catalyst for that. Football has moved on, we had to keep up or wither and die.

Its an emotional wrench at the time, but we now have a smart modern stadium with facilities to match our Premier League staus.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon May 23, 2011 11:59 am

The atmosphere's pretty poor most of the time to be honest.
Oh and don't build a fooking shopping park thing next to it, it proper fooks the traffic up.

youngy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by youngy » Mon May 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks lads.

VERY interested to read that your hotel brought £8M into the club coffers. THAT kind of money could be VERY useful in the SPL!!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 23, 2011 12:36 pm

youngy wrote:Thanks lads.

VERY interested to read that your hotel brought £8M into the club coffers. THAT kind of money could be VERY useful in the SPL!!
Except is probably cost more than to build......

The Hotel was and is a disaster, that believe it or not, almost bankrupted us.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

youngy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by youngy » Mon May 23, 2011 1:22 pm

boltonboris wrote:
youngy wrote:Thanks lads.

Except is probably cost more than to build......

The Hotel was and is a disaster, that believe it or not, almost bankrupted us.
Seriously? That's not good. But has the point been reached now where from now on, the benefits will outstrip the down-sides?

Another difference might be that - player-wise at least - you get a lot more for your £ up here than in the PL down there, so any initial "issues" with the hotel might not drag us down quite to that level. PLUS, we're pretty much insolvent as it is :0) so it probably won't hurt us any more than we are already used to.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 23, 2011 1:34 pm

boltonboris wrote:
youngy wrote:VERY interested to read that your hotel brought £8M into the club coffers. THAT kind of money could be VERY useful in the SPL!!
Except is probably cost more than to build...... The Hotel was and is a disaster, that believe it or not, almost bankrupted us.
Is? The £8m it brought in last year is only £1m less than we made on the gate. Some disaster when we need "revenue streams" more than most in the top flight. True, there were things with the new ground that were, shall we say, misconceived - not least awarding without tender the main construction contract to the company owned by the then chairman - but the hotel is beginning to pay. Literally.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Short term pain for long term gain. on balance, the Reebok has been a major catalyst to our recent relative success.

Can't see Burnden ever allowing us to tap "alternative revenue streams" in the same way.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon May 23, 2011 9:15 pm

It put us 35 million in debt

I don't like the location

It almost certainly makes it easier to attract players than the decrepit Burnden Park
Sto ut Serviam

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Mon May 23, 2011 9:18 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:It put us 35 million in debt

It almost certainly makes it easier to attract players than the decrepit Burnden Park
You can say that again

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 23, 2011 9:19 pm

My volume switch must be on the blink, perhaps he could just type it again?

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Mon May 23, 2011 9:40 pm

It definitely has both pros and cons. As has been said the reebok is probably a major driving force in our success since we moved in. It's a nice stadium, but letting go of emotional attachment has been hard for the fans as well as a very unpopular location (it's not really in the town any-more..." and it doesn't have a very good atmosphere, although it's been much better this year imo although after the horrific match-day experiences of the Megson campaign it may be just that affecting my judgement.
It was a good move for the club, but it's a nightmare to get to and from!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon May 23, 2011 10:47 pm

LiOC wrote:It definitely has both pros and cons. As has been said the reebok is probably a major driving force in our success since we moved in. It's a nice stadium, but letting go of emotional attachment has been hard for the fans as well as a very unpopular location (it's not really in the town any-more..." and it doesn't have a very good atmosphere, although it's been much better this year imo although after the horrific match-day experiences of the Megson campaign it may be just that affecting my judgement.
It's a real nightmare... like less than half a mile from a motorway exit, less than 100 yards from its own railway station, and with a dedicated match day bus service that's dirt cheap... And loads of parking space that can be a pain in the arse getting away from, tis true...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Traffics a bastard though.

Come on William, everyone is conceding that it was a good move, but it does have its not perfect.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon May 23, 2011 10:51 pm

Not an airport for miles and miles though.

Disgraceful.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon May 23, 2011 10:56 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Traffics a bastard though.

Come on William, everyone is conceding that it was a good move, but it does have its not perfect.
i said it was a 'pain in the arse' - is that significantly weaker than a 'bastard'? :wink:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon May 23, 2011 11:00 pm

See, I can live with the traffic...it's 30 minutes each way in the car and I live in one of the bits of Bolton furthest from the ground

I can park for free 10 minutes walk from the ground

My issue with the location is it's distance from the delights of the town centre

Be nice to be able to stroll into town for a post match pint

Speaking of which, I know a pre match pint is part of the day out, but has it always been so?

William?
Sto ut Serviam

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 pm

Its on a logarithmic scale rather than exponential, but yes, significantly.

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Mon May 23, 2011 11:06 pm

William the White wrote:
LiOC wrote:It definitely has both pros and cons. As has been said the reebok is probably a major driving force in our success since we moved in. It's a nice stadium, but letting go of emotional attachment has been hard for the fans as well as a very unpopular location (it's not really in the town any-more..." and it doesn't have a very good atmosphere, although it's been much better this year imo although after the horrific match-day experiences of the Megson campaign it may be just that affecting my judgement.
It's a real nightmare... like less than half a mile from a motorway exit, less than 100 yards from its own railway station, and with a dedicated match day bus service that's dirt cheap... And loads of parking space that can be a pain in the arse getting away from, tis true...
Nightmare to get to and from traffic wise. Parking fine. Having to get two buses there isn't great though, or a bus and then a train. Maybe I over-exaggerated with nightmare, just bitter with trying to get a bus home on a sunday game once I got in the town centre. First bus is a waste of space, nothing to do with the club.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon May 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Where do you need to get to?

Of all the matchbuses that could do with a coat of looking at, the Bury one is dreadful
Sto ut Serviam