Coyle joint favourite for Aston Villa job

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Coyle joint favourite for Aston Villa job

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:02 am

Just thought I'd point it out...

Not sure if it's a case of the more likely candidates dropping out and him bumping up to favourite as process of elimination- but it's quite a mighty jump.

He was out as far as 33/1 a few days ago. Now 5/2(skybet).

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Somebody know something we don't?
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Coyle joint favourite for Aston Villa job

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:08 am

It's not gonna happen. Coyle would be mad to jump ship to Villa, and Gartside came out earlier in the summer to say that it's only a fricking huge club would pull our Owen away. A huge club, Villa are not.

We're gonna have to expect that, a club with the media stature of ours, and a manager with the obvious quality Coyle has, he's gonna be linked with every Premier League job going. I'm not worried.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:09 am

We never had this problem when Megson was here.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:16 am

truewhite15 wrote:It's not gonna happen. Coyle would be mad to jump ship to Villa, and Gartside came out earlier in the summer to say that it's only a fricking huge club would pull our Owen away. A huge club, Villa are not.
A lot bigger than us. Historically, I'd say there are only 3 or 4 bigger clubs around than Villa- although I appreciate history doesn't serve for much when your best two players want to leave for United and Liverpool.

To be honest, I don't think there is too much in it either. Although if a contract was put under his nose at a bigger club, with more potential and likely a healthy transfer kitty in the summer- I'm pretty sure he'd take it. Villa is certainly a step closer to those real big clubs where I'm sure he'd eventually like to be.
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:40 am

The only place on there I can see that have him at short odds is Skybet, and it doesn't take much to get them to shorten their odds. In January an 'ITK' on a Spurs board said we were in for Pavlyuchenko, someone must have stuck money on it and all of a sudden we were favourites.

That said, if offered I'm sure he'd take it.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:43 am

Unless you're already a CL manager if you get offered Villa you take it.

Is Coyle going to be offered Villa? Hmmm, not sure.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Post by mrpiccollo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:33 am

he wont leave for villa honestly they arent a big enough team to warrant the move and they are a selling team not the sort of team to challenge the big 5 lets be honest.

if he did go it would likely be a mistake as what is needed there is a more well known manager to handle there so so big names

its more of a sidestep akin to big sam leaving for newcastle :conf:
Last edited by mrpiccollo on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:41 am

Anyone who doesn't think Villa are a bigger club than us, needs their bumps feeling.

They're at least the distance in front of us, that we were in front of Burnley...

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 am

Tombwfc wrote:The only place on there I can see that have him at short odds is Skybet, and it doesn't take much to get them to shorten their odds. In January an 'ITK' on a Spurs board said we were in for Pavlyuchenko, someone must have stuck money on it and all of a sudden we were favourites.

That said, if offered I'm sure he'd take it.
Indeed

I could shift the skybet market with a fiver

Tis a good job you're around, young Thomas
Sto ut Serviam

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:12 am

He'd go to Villa in a flash, IMO.

I bet St Johnstone said he wouldn't leave in cup final week for a second tier English (spit!) side. I know Burnley were shocked and appalled when he left them to come to Bolton (spit!).

Aston Villa? A bigger club (much as I'm loathed to admit it) and, on another level, moving represents an opportunity to sidestep the tricky re-building job that he needs to do at Bolton on a low budget to do a re-building job on a much higher budget (I'd think). I think he'd take it.

Owen Coyle has shown himself to be many things during his management caereer, but loyal is not one of them. He's out there to climb the ladder - which is why he's brilliant for us (because he will do his utmost to win), but it is also why he will most likely leave us regardless of what it means for BWFC at the time.

And I've got to say, I respect him for that. He has a career to build, and we - like St Johnstone and Burnley - will benefit along the way.

Before anyone lambasts me for seemingly belittling BWFC, for what it's worth I think it would be an error if he did leave. A good season next year after a summer of buying (fingers crossed) and he'd really be set up. Bolton have the potential to pick up a cup, or qualify for Europe, and these things are what he should be aiming to do.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:17 am

Owen'sEleven wrote:He'd go to Villa in a flash, IMO.

I bet St Johnstone said he wouldn't leave in cup final week for a second tier English (spit!) side. I know Burnley were shocked and appalled when he left them to come to Bolton (spit!).

Aston Villa? A bigger club (much as I'm loathed to admit it) and, on another level, moving represents an opportunity to sidestep the tricky re-building job that he needs to do at Bolton on a low budget to do a re-building job on a much higher budget (I'd think). I think he'd take it.

Owen Coyle has shown himself to be many things during his management caereer, but loyal is not one of them. He's out there to climb the ladder - which is why he's brilliant for us (because he will do his utmost to win), but it is also why he will most likely leave us regardless of what it means for BWFC at the time.

And I've got to say, I respect him for that. He has a career to build, and we - like St Johnstone and Burnley - will benefit along the way.

Before anyone lambasts me for seemingly belittling BWFC, for what it's worth I think it would be an error if he did leave. A good season next year after a summer of buying (fingers crossed) and he'd really be set up. Bolton have the potential to pick up a cup, or qualify for Europe, and these things are what he should be aiming to do.
I really don't see it happening. He's a smart guy and knows when to take opportunities, and with confidence in his own ability he'll know other opportunities are still ahead...he won't want to risk career suicide right now by jumping in with both feet into the first big big job that comes along, with only 2 seasons prem football behind him. In fact i dont think Villa would risk that either, with their big club mentality they may see OC as a man who can motivate a group of players at a smaller club, but then again they may see a touch of the Martin O'Neil about him...?

However, i just dont see it happening.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:21 am

just never ceases to amaze how deluded some people are on here. not exactly alone in the football fan fraternity though.

anyway as has been said i think betfair is the market to monitor in terms of this. not skybet.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 am

The way we finished last season would have surely put other clubs off him for another season at least surely?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Maybe he can take Holden with him and be guaranteed top 4?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:28 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Maybe he can take Holden with him and be guaranteed top 4?
Don't say things like that. Please. It doesn't bear thinking about.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Didn,t he turn down Celtic? - a bigger club some would argue than Villa- because it wasn't the right time?
He's a shrewd one is Owen. That said a move to Villa after the season they've had isn't vastly removed from jumping ship from Burnley to us when he did. I fear the worst.
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:57 pm

If Villa want him it might come down to how much money he'd get to play with here. He's had almost nothing to spend since he arrived and we've been shipping people out. With money the Bolton job is very appealing, he can get some decent players and make the team exactly how he wants it. Without money the Villa job would be a no-brainer if they want him.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:13 pm

If Villa want him, he would go. It's an absolute no brainer.

I'm sure I read somewhere Coyle has never been at any club longer than 3 years as a player or a manager... We knew what we were getting into.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Loyal White wrote:If Villa want him, he would go. It's an absolute no brainer.

I'm sure I read somewhere Coyle has never been at any club longer than 3 years as a player or a manager... We knew what we were getting into.
:spank:

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:17 pm

I'm sure it depends on a whole load of factors. Yes he'd get more money at villa but he does have the money coming in here. I think it comes down to where he thinks he can push us next year- if he thinks it will be easier to win a cup/ qualify for Europe/ achieve something there then he'll go. However if he thinks this would be more realistic with us next year with his foundations in, the Cahill money coming in, an opportunity to build a team then he'll turn it down.