About Chungy

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BlueWanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

About Chungy

Post by BlueWanderer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:42 am

Before I begin, I registered just now. I'm a Korean fan of the Wanderers,and also Chungy.
I can surely say I will still cheer for Bolton even if chungy leaves the team.
However, I'm not here to blame on Miller, but I wanna hear honest opinions about Chungy from the locan fans. Frankly, I think the loss of Chungy will bring a quite difference to the play.
Korean Bolton fans often says that Chungy changed the playing style of Bolton from long ball
to a compact style. Maybe we are overestimating him just because he's Korean.
Anyways, after goofing around in the forum, I got the feeling that local fans don't take loss of Chungy as serious as the Korean fans. Is it because he's a player from Asia? Or is this just the feeling of a newcomer?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Re: About Chungy

Post by seanworth » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:53 am

I rate Chungy very highly but for much of last season we did not see the best out of him partly because of the Asian Cup, and simply largely due to his extensive National team commitments, fatigue. Our best midfielder last season was Holden by a long ways. When both he and then M Davies got injured the midfield fell apart and Chungy was unable to help that in anyway. Right now our biggest priority is a striker or two as the midfield has more depth than last season. Chungy is a big loss but I doubt his loss is the one that will make the difference between Bolton having a good season and a clunker. If Petrov keeps up his pre season form, Holden is able to come back and contribute, and our new signings of Pratley, Reo Coker and Eagles live up even close to expectations we should be o.k. in that department. Of course we would have been better if Chungy hadn't gotten that injury. Let's see if we get someone on loan more likely a strker who can also play out wide.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:44 am

It's probably because if we took it as seriously as Korean fans seem too, we'd all have killed ourselves by now. Two weeks before the start of the season is too early to start getting despondant.

I do think it's a huge blow though, as Lee is one of two players I'd consider good enough to play for a top four side. I thought it was a large ask to expect Eagles to come in as a bit-part player and not completely out of his depth, it's now a massive one to expect him to come anywhere close to replacing Lee.

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:05 am

Chung is VERY highly rated and well liked by, I think it's fair to say, all Bolton fans.

It's perhaps the English football fan's mentality that's different. We've lost him for a year now, so we move on and look for the best and hope other players can take his place.

It was the same when Stuart Holden got injured, rather than mourn and lament the loss, we had to move on and accept he was out of action.
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:10 pm

I think almost every Bolton fan will be devastated by losing Chung-Yong for 9 months. I'm personally just praying he comes back the same player, because for a change, that really will be like signing a new player.
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:26 pm

Not that many English players play overseas, but it might have been similar when David Beckham played at Real Madrid / LA Galaxy. When the team loses it's because he was only on the bench. He starts and the team wins and it's because he played.

LCY is definitely one of our better players and is a handful when he plays, but like the others have said, there's nothing we can do to bring him back so we have to look at what we got and make the best of it.

Can anyone imagine what we'd have done last season if we'd have had Chungy, Holden and Sturridge fit and playing for the whole season? That's why this is particularly disappointing. If Klasnic does well or we get a decent striker from somewhere, Holden is coming back soon, Petrov sounds like he's playing well, things were starting seem like they were clicking into place.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:33 pm

BlueWanderer wrote:I got the feeling that local fans don't take loss of Chungy as serious as the Korean fans. Is it because he's a player from Asia? Or is this just the feeling of a newcomer?
No, it's because we are not scousers, or geordies, otherwise we'd all be stood outside the ground in ill-fitting replica shirts, or proposing a minute's silence and a candlelight vigil. He's broken his leg. Nobody has died.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:34 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Not that many English players play overseas,
I can't actually think of any at the moment! there must be some I guess!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:35 pm

In answer to your main question.Chungy is tops. He's settled in very well here and has a mate in Park of the red lot which must have helped. He seems to get on with everybody and is very well thought of both by the manager and fans. Wouldn't want to lose him. His injury won't change anything regarding feelings and we all want him back as soon as possible.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:40 pm

thebish wrote:
I think Beckham is still playing for LA Galaxy at 36 (inbetween royal weddings and other celebrity appearances) :D
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:41 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:
I think Beckham is still playing for LA Galaxy at 36 (inbetween royal weddings and other celebrity appearances) :D
ahh - yes - kinda forgotten about him! :lol:

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:48 pm

Players get injured all the time no matter what level of competition it is, its horrible whats happened to Chung but we have to get over it and just hope he as a speedy recovery and comes back the same player

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Robbie Fowler is playing in the Thai Premier League.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:30 pm

BL3 wrote:
BlueWanderer wrote:I got the feeling that local fans don't take loss of Chungy as serious as the Korean fans. Is it because he's a player from Asia? Or is this just the feeling of a newcomer?
No, it's because we are not geordies, otherwise we'd all be stood outside the ground in ill-fitting replica shirts, or proposing a minute's silence and a candlelight vigil. He's broken his leg. Nobody has died.
Fixed it for you.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:01 pm

BlueWanderer wrote: Korean Bolton fans often says that Chungy changed the playing style of Bolton from long ball
to a compact style. Maybe we are overestimating him just because he's Korean.
Definitely overestimating him there! We were playing long ball with Chungy in the team for quite a while under Megson. It only changed when Owen Coyle came in.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:45 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
BL3 wrote:
No, it's because we are not geordies, otherwise we'd all be stood outside the ground in ill-fitting replica shirts, or proposing a minute's silence and a candlelight vigil. He's broken his leg. Nobody has died.
Fixed it for you.
It didn't need fixing.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:51 pm

BL3 wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Fixed it for you.
It didn't need fixing.
Have only ever seen the geordies do it.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:52 pm

Now now girls

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:12 pm

Relentless09 wrote:Players get injured all the time no matter what level of competition it is, its horrible whats happened to Chung but we have to get over it and just hope he as a speedy recovery and comes back the same player
I wouldn't mind too much if he came back as a 25 goal a season striker, instead...

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:18 pm

안녕하세요! 저는 미국 교포 팬입니다.

I personally think it's because you're new and have only come on here to read the reactions to Chungy's injury. If you had been here for a while you would know that everyone here appreciates him. There are one or two other Korean fans that post on here that I'm sure can vouch for that as well.

As others have said, Chungy is great but he isn't a one-man team. I think he was definitely an integral piece of the puzzle in changing up the style of football a bit, and even when all the critics were praising this new style it was still a very effective mix of long and short ball.

And are you guys sure it's an English thing to 'move on?' Here I was all along thinking that it was the Bolton way to be used to devastation and disappointment. :D