How many chances is Mark Davies going to get?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

How many chances is Mark Davies going to get?

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:29 am

He might be ace at running with the ball, but these forays never lead to a goal and rarely lead to a chance on goal.

He's not got what it takes to be deserving of a starting spot. He's a luxury player, and doesn't have the grit or determination to chip in when we're being completely overrun. When Holden is fit then Davies should be dropped immediately and should only play cup games/games that are already won.

In fact, he should have been subbed in disgrace after kicking the ball out to allow that wanker Nani to receive treatment. You wouldn't have caught Manchester United being so unprofessional.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: How many chances is Mark Davies going to get?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:43 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:He might be ace at running with the ball, but these forays never lead to a goal and rarely lead to a chance on goal.

He's not got what it takes to be deserving of a starting spot. He's a luxury player, and doesn't have the grit or determination to chip in when we're being completely overrun. When Holden is fit then Davies should be dropped immediately and should only play cup games/games that are already won.

In fact, he should have been subbed in disgrace after kicking the ball out to allow that wanker Nani to receive treatment. You wouldn't have caught Manchester United being so unprofessional.
He has great ability on the ball. Until he translates that into something tangible and consistent, then you are right, he is a luxury we cannot afford. Having said that not his fault that Coyle picked him in a 4 man midfield against the best team in the league. That was just plain madness, and I said so before the game!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:46 am

Bit harsh to judge him against Man Utd. Isn't it his first start of the season?

I do worry about him in a 4-4-2 though.. He could be top drawer if given a more expansive role in a 3 or 5 man midfield
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:56 am

boltonboris wrote:Bit harsh to judge him against Man Utd. Isn't it his first start of the season?

I do worry about him in a 4-4-2 though.. He could be top drawer if given a more expansive role in a 3 or 5 man midfield
I agree on that, but it's not like we can look back on a series of sparkling performances over the last three years is it?

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:04 am

On his day, a very good player. Just isn't his day very often. Has too many games where he's non-existent.
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:12 am

Has he had one of those days yet? We seem to be forever saying 'he's got potential' but when he's given the chance he has yet to take it with either or both hands.

I like him a lot, just see absolutely no signs that he's going to fulfil anything like the potential he undoubtedly has.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 am

First start since February or something, not had that many chances.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:35 am

If you play Mark Davies through the middle, you need to have midfielders out wide rather than wingers.

Unfortunately, he's not quite got enough to be playing central midfield, nor enough to be playing off the striker. I don't know what the answer is, because he's got a great deal of talent, but he just doesn't fit in easily anywhere.

Perhaps if we played a 4-3-3, with NRC, The Moo and Stolden, then 3 of either/or Kavies/Mavies/Tuncay/Petrov/Eagles/Klasnic/Ngog/Lee...

We've got quite a lot of attacking players now, haven't we?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

aussie_wanderer
Promising
Promising

Post by aussie_wanderer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 am

he was poor last game but so was everybody else, 4-5-1 would be better, ngog upfront and then a midfield of petrov holden muamba davies and tuncay

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:20 pm

What does our side need? What are the two words that continue to come up?

Pacey? Creative.

I agree in 4-4-2 he's a luxury as seems to have lost his appetite for tackling.

I would also offer the reason his forays rarely turn into goals is because he overtakes our OAP forward line and never has anyone to lay it off to at the end

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:23 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:What does our side need? What are the two words that continue to come up?
Pacey? Creative.

I agree in 4-4-2 he's a luxury as seems to have lost his appetite for tackling.

I would also offer the reason his forays rarely turn into goals is because he overtakes our OAP forward line and never has anyone to lay it off to at the end
Solidity and organisation.

We've got enough options with pace and creativity. We need to find a way of marrying that with more stability in midfield and players who take responsibility for the defensive side of the game.

In other words, NOT Mark Davies!

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:54 pm

In the current system we started with NRC and Muamba, now we're trying NRC and Davies. If that experiment isn't working we can either try Pratley alongside NRC, change system, or just wait and hope Holden comes back quickly.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Don't think he's had many chances as he?

Good player if used right
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:59 pm

As said elsewhere can't play in the hole or in as part of a central pair.Useful supersub. You know it's not a standard thing but I could imagine if we played one lone ranger up top and a defensive 5 man midfield he could actually work in the centre alongside two ball winners.I'm thinking here of those away games like the ones we just had where really we're better off getting 10 behind the ball and playing for set pieces.Mavis will always pick up free kicks so long as opponents forget he cant cross or shoot and therefore is really quite harmless even when he does fly past a few!

hat360
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by hat360 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:07 pm

BwfcDan wrote:On his day, a very good player. Just isn't his day very often. Has too many games where he's non-existent.
His day tends to be a thursday....when we're not playing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Irrespective of the problems of housing him in a 4-4-2, even if we could accomodate him naturally, there would still be HUGE question marks over his end product. Running in a straight line at a back four with the ball, before laying it off and going for a 1:2 may look nice but once you've tried it twice in a game its likely that the opposition have formulated a plan to stop you. Repeatedly trying the same thing, and failing to produce anything at the end of your run is pretty much useless.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:25 pm

I think if he beats three players before laying it off to Davies, who loses it, it's a bit harsh to blame him for a lack of end product.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:39 pm

Id play him in a 451/4231. i think it could work flanked by tuncay and petrov, with klas or ngog up top.

the bottom line is that in a bottom table side he isnt strong or disciplined enough to play centre mid in a 442.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I think if he beats three players before laying it off to Davies, who loses it, it's a bit harsh to blame him for a lack of end product.
Nail on head.

M Davies offers another dimension to our play as he the one player who seems eager and able to go on a run and beat a man. For those runs to have an "end product" he needs movement and pace from the players ahead of him which is not provided with the current picks.

We'll see a great improvement if we can provide some more options for him as he approaches the box. He's great with the ball at his feet and that's something worth encouraging.

The idea that he has had enough chances does not carry any weight - he's had a few starts and if we are prepared to mix it up at the front he'll benefit from a decent run in the team.

Not the greatest defensively, but against non- top 5 he'll be a great asset with the likes of Tuncay and Ngog ahead of him.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:49 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:I think if he beats three players before laying it off to Davies, who loses it, it's a bit harsh to blame him for a lack of end product.
Nail on head.

M Davies offers another dimension to our play as he the one player who seems eager and able to go on a run and beat a man. For those runs to have an "end product" he needs movement and pace from the players ahead of him which is not provided with the current picks.

We'll see a great improvement if we can provide some more options for him as he approaches the box. He's great with the ball at his feet and that's something worth encouraging.

The idea that he has had enough chances does not carry any weight - he's had a few starts and if we are prepared to mix it up at the front he'll benefit from a decent run in the team.

Not the greatest defensively, but against non- top 5 he'll be a great asset with the likes of Tuncay and Ngog ahead of him.

Saw this with Tuncay when he came on: once or twice he had the ball in a decent position and was screaming for some movement ahead of him, but everyone just stood there and watched.

[edited for spelling]