Owen Coyle

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Owen Coyle

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:49 am

Credit where credit is due.

He's changed the system, seems to have us more organised, and looks to have done some work on how to defend off the ball.

He's getting tremendous workrate from NRC, NGog, Eagles, Muamba, Mark Davies and even Petrov is doing a shift (though put your fooking foot in Martin). He's restored our best right back to the role. He's realised sometimes we just have to ride difficult periods by digging in (you can't always just throw on an extra attacker when you are struggling).

He got his subs absolutely spot on last night, Ngog was puffed, Davies came on and did a job up there. Tuncay looked very sharp when he came on. Think he might be worth a try.

We're not missing Cahill as of yet...

3 new players to come into this, all of whom add pace. And Mears...

I've actually enjoyed the last couple of home games.

Long way to go, but at last there is a bit of optimism. Good work Owen, keep it going and we'll be ok with a splash of luck thrown into the mix!

EDIT: And NRC as captain, is a great call too!

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Owen Coyle

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 am

He seemed to be getting of the bench and being a bit more involved. I know it doesn't do much but it must help the players a bit.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:28 am

Agreed.

If it's just the case that he's had some of his naivety and stubborness knocked out of him then great - it's good that he's capable of learning from his mistakes.

But as Worthy said in another thread, certain things he is doing now do make it all the more baffling that he wasn't doing them earlier.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Credit indeed. Six weeks ago, after Fulham, I thought the game was up. Change of system, personnel and attitude has made a world of difference. Keep it going.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Well I can't sit idly by and and leave this unbridled optimism unchecked.

One team always has a dead cat bounce in January. I hope it isn't us. I doubt Coyle will leave even if it is. He has the raw materials to be a very good manager, and I like hi eye for a bargain. We'll need both, now and in the future.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:00 pm

That post is so spot on insightful its almost..........admirable.
its still3 out of 5 and we're still one of them
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:30 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:That post is so spot on insightful its almost..........admirable.
its still3 out of 5 and we're still one of them
indeed - but there were plenty predicting that at the end of this particular run of games - ie TODAY - it wouldn't be so much three from 5, it'd be one already relegated (US) and 2 others...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:37 pm

We are still right in it and we've only ourselves to blame. No point looking back though at this point.

Lets hope that we get ourselves out of this! We are showing the right sort of system and effort to do it, but it's going to need a lot of hard work, and a bit of luck.

Sadly I can't see any of the teams above us falling far enough to drag them in, you just never know though!

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:19 pm

One team always manages to do a Hull/Reading/Blackpool for that matter and try their damndest to get relegated. I still think anyone from Villa down could find themselves in bother.

Vital though to get the full 3 points from Wigan though. Massive. Revenge against Norwich would be nice too.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:We are still right in it and we've only ourselves to blame. No point looking back though at this point.

Lets hope that we get ourselves out of this! We are showing the right sort of system and effort to do it, but it's going to need a lot of hard work, and a bit of luck.

Sadly I can't see any of the teams above us falling far enough to drag them in, you just never know though!

awww come on!! just take a moment out to be happy!!! there are now TWO WHOLE POINTS daylight between us and the bottom three!!! :pissed:

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm waiting for Worthy to come and tell us that it's not really 2 points ahead .........etc. :D
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Chrisfu
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Chrisfu » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm glad the general consensus seems to be it's 5 in contention for the drop. Going off the past, I'd hope that everyone from Sunderland and down are thinking that and become complacent.

We've seen teams think they're safe season after season and end up getting sucked into a dog fight. As quick as the likes of Sunderland and Everton turned their fortunes around (they were struggling a couple of months ago, remember) it can all go wrong for them, too.

Game on.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:I'm waiting for Worthy to come and tell us that it's not really 2 points ahead .........etc. :D
Here, have an internet pie.

I have a shed full.

It's one win away, even if we were to get a draw at the same time, as our GD ain't good.

I'm delighted with our recent form and results. Completely bemused as to how Captain Clueless didn't manage to spot there was a huge problem much earlier. I'm a long way from declaring us safe, which as with every year will be the ultimate measure.

Should we unfortunately not quite make it, I will say I told you so and point to this run of games that shows what our squad, regardless of money and all the bollocks that was being talked about as "excuses" was actually capable of.

Keeping them capable of it, and keeping us up, that's down to the Manager.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:36 pm

At the mo it's three from four. That can change. This season's plummeters could be Norridge (decent squad and boss though) or Swansea (who already have a woeful away record, they just need to clam up at home...)

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:56 pm

[/size]Coyle In!!!!!!!!!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:01 am

It'd be nice to think that Coyle has found his tactical head and we will now be able to play our way to safety this season.

However, he so baffingly continued to play a miserably failing 442 game after game, when it was obvious that it was the formation and tactics combined with who we had available that were the problem, that it is hard to be confident that he has "got it", and that there isn't a ludicrous formation or tactics or selection just around the corner.

I'm definitely taking it game by game. It wouldn't surprise me to see 4-4-2 against Wigan......with Muamba dropped for SKD/Klasnic, and us seeing 30% possession.....

elfil76
Reliable
Reliable

Post by elfil76 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:38 am

There are too many factors but I think the significant ones are
- restoration of Steinsson and Moo
- dropping robbo and skd

Dropping these "two" favorites might be a wake up call for the rest that OC means business, and players returning from injuries and fit in nicely like ricketts helped.

I think all the fans agree that our squad is better than the shambolic display in the first half of the season, now we essentially seeing the team playing to potential or close to the potential.

Good to see we make those necessary changes and it works.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:31 am

He looks like he is learning. Shame it took so long! As a fickle football i reserve my right to sing the managers praises then call for him to be sacked. So, happy at the moment!

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:37 am

i always stayed positive,well 95% of the time

in managers terms coyle is a very young manager and is still learning i just hope he's wised up abit now
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:02 am

I do like the 4-5-1, but most teams that play it get goals from midfield and the wingers regularly, never mind the main striker. NRC and M Davies have done relatively well in terms of scoring since we've switched, but Petrov/Eagles/N'Gog need to be getting on the scoresheet more for it to be really successful!