Jaffka's gossip thread on the ins and outs at the 'Bok

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Jaffka's gossip thread on the ins and outs at the 'Bok

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tals-biggest-fan wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Jordan fecking Rhodes will be a name nobody hears in 3 years time. Like David Nugent or that lad Blackburn signed whose name escapes me who was the next best thing from league one, who was good for 3 months then did nowt more......
Jordan Rhodes has scored 20+ goals in his last 3 seasons plus a 40 goal in 45 games season last season, Nugent had the one good season back in 06... Rhodes is 22 and still has more to give as a player and will be a top class striker one day, we'd be stupid to let him go to Blackburn without trying to take him off them
Same things were said about Nugent, when he was a 6M target for premiership clubs.

I don't think Rhodes will do it at the top level, based on what I've seen of him.
We're not at the top level anymore...
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:41 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tals-biggest-fan wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Jordan fecking Rhodes will be a name nobody hears in 3 years time. Like David Nugent or that lad Blackburn signed whose name escapes me who was the next best thing from league one, who was good for 3 months then did nowt more......
Jordan Rhodes has scored 20+ goals in his last 3 seasons plus a 40 goal in 45 games season last season, Nugent had the one good season back in 06... Rhodes is 22 and still has more to give as a player and will be a top class striker one day, we'd be stupid to let him go to Blackburn without trying to take him off them
Same things were said about Nugent, when he was a 6M target for premiership clubs.

I don't think Rhodes will do it at the top level, based on what I've seen of him.
what have you seen of him?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 am

Tals-biggest-fan wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tals-biggest-fan wrote:

We're not at the top level anymore...
Yep, and we're not going to spend 6M on anyone irrespective of who we sell.

Certainly not someone who has only played at league one level so far.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tals-biggest-fan wrote:

I've watched him a few times, mainly to see what the hype was about. Sharp finisher, clearly good in the box. Less impressed with the rest of his game.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Rhodes is the new Beckford.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tals-biggest-fan wrote:

I've watched him a few times, mainly to see what the hype was about. Sharp finisher, clearly good in the box. Less impressed with the rest of his game.
Isn't that what being a striker is all about... Thats all we need a goalscorer, Rhodes is a goal scorer.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:29 pm

Klasnic was a goalscorer but he was one lazy cvnt
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:32 pm

John McGinlay was one of the best finishers I have ever seen. But even in his peak he wouldn't have successfully lead many (if any) top flight strikeforces particularly successfully.

And yes I know we're not in the top flight, but the point is, there is a bit more to it than just being sharp in the box.

Nugent was sharp in the box for Preston......

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Tals-biggest-fan wrote: Isn't that what being a striker is all about... Thats all we need a goalscorer, Rhodes is a goal scorer.
Really? Not an all round contributor then? We've had a few "just goalscorers" in our time, Borgetti, Helgusson, Bratten, Elmander (who was actually much more) Klasnic etc, all gone. A fair few of our goals have still come from other areas. If the team are playing well, we'll score goals. Last thing we need is a titty-line Charlie who does nothing.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tals-biggest-fan wrote: Isn't that what being a striker is all about... Thats all we need a goalscorer, Rhodes is a goal scorer.
Really? Not an all round contributor then? We've had a few "just goalscorers" in our time, Borgetti, Helgusson, Bratten, Elmander (who was actually much more) Klasnic etc, all gone. A fair few of our goals have still come from other areas. If the team are playing well, we'll score goals. Last thing we need is a titty-line Charlie who does nothing.
Yeah. Though your list of goalscorers is a bit off. Braaten? Nah. Elmander? Nah.

Borgetti was though. And we couldn't accomodate him, though that was in a very different time, with the Allardyce system.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Yeah. Though your list of goalscorers is a bit off. Braaten? Nah. Elmander? Nah.
Borgetti was though. And we couldn't accomodate him, though that was in a very different time, with the Allardyce system.
The point being that people listed as capable goal scorers don't always score goals. If a team's playing decent football the goals will come.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:00 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Are we saying Martin Jol doesn't know a good player from a bad one?

If he's willing to pay for NGog, then theres some evidence he aint shit, just that we didn't get much out of him
I like Jol, but, erm, this :D

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
The point being that people listed as capable goal scorers don't always score goals. If a team's playing decent football the goals will come.
Jordan Rhodes has proved he is capable of scoring goals regularly, 85 goals in 3 years is nearly as many as we got as a team in 3 years!

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Why would we sell our first choice striker for £3m a week before the start of the season?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Loyal White wrote:Why would we sell our first choice striker for £3m a week before the start of the season?
Do you think he will be first choice? I don't.......

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Loyal White wrote:Why would we sell our first choice striker for £3m a week before the start of the season?
Who's bid £3m for Kev?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Who's bid £3m for Kev?
Tango! :wink:

knobby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by knobby » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Well Miyaichi has gone to Wigan on loan so he wont be back.
There’s a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:46 pm

knobby wrote:Well Miyaichi has gone to Wigan on loan so he wont be back.
They're welcome to him... Hopefully he'll have the same impact there. ie; Feck all
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:17 pm

boltonboris wrote:
knobby wrote:Well Miyaichi has gone to Wigan on loan so he wont be back.
They're welcome to him... Hopefully he'll have the same impact there. ie; Feck all
Yeah but he did stepovers!