Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Contract expiry

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:58 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:26 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:03 pm
Yes I saw that a week or so ago. Quite refreshing to see someone being quite candid about how they see themselves relative to where they are currently playing, it probably is relatively common on the loanee side of things but cool to see anyway.

It also brought to mind a quote from Evatt toward the end of February on signing John:
"That’s what we’re looking to do, that’s what we want, but for us to be able to sign players like him, we have to progress and he has to see that progression.
John knows he's better than League Two, Evatt from my reading of that knows that as well and it's up to him to sell the future of Bolton to players. No matter how many leagues above the oppo we look for the rest of the year, we ain't playing Championship next season. It's a question of whether Evatt can sell players on the chance of building a future Championship-level BWFC. I'd hope the progression he mentioned has made the players see that as well as us, but I'm not really sure how much of that will matter come the end of the season when other teams can offer more money and a higher level of competition.
We might end up being a worthwhile proposition for John. He's firmly got himself a starting berth in our squad, he'll be getting plenty of football and not instant directives to play long ball so he may enjoy it more. Of course he's better than league two but the Championship may prove a difficult one to turn down.

I would love for John to re-sign and I have no doubt we can lay down a solid case but, as worthy says, money talks, especially in the short-lived career that is of a professional footballer.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:18 am

Updated this but mainly to alert y'all to two very readable, and intriguing, blogs from BWFC Analysis on potential No.10s and No.9s we could sign in summer.

JUNE 2021
Lukas Jensen (18/3/99) – loan; Burnley contract ends summer 2021 with club holding 1yr extension option
Billy Crellin (13/6/00) – loan; Fleetwood contract ends summer 2022 with club holding 1yr extension option
Matthew Alexander (7/5/02)
Matt Gilks (4/6/82) no contract length given but presume 12-month
Alex Baptiste (31/1/86)
Harry Brockbank (26/9/98)
Ryan Delaney (6/9/96)
*Jamie Mascoll (15/3/97)club has 1yr extension option; loaned to Waterford for rest of season
Adam Senior (20/1/02)
Gethin Jones (13/10/95)club has 1yr extension option
*Jak Hickman (11/9/98) club has 1yr extension option
Declan John (30/6/95) loan; Swansea contract ends summer 2021
Ben Jackson (22/2/01)loan; Huddersfield contract ends summer 2022 with club holding 1yr extension option
Andrew Tutte (21/9/90)
Sonny Graham (10/6/02)
Callum King-Harmes (19/4/02) on youth loan to Bamber Bridge
Lloyd Isgrove (12/1/93)
Zack Elbouzedi (5/4/98)loan; Lincoln contract ends summer 2021
*Marcus Maddison (26/9/93) – loan; Charlton contract ends summer 2021
Dapo Afolayan (11/9/97) loan; West Ham contract ends summer 2021
Shaun Miller (25/9/87)
Mo Faal (1/7/97) – loaned to Barnet until summer
Arthur Gnahoua (18/9/92)

* Hickman and Mascoll were deregistered for the second half of this season in favour of new recruits; one of them, Maddison, has since ended his loan.

JUNE 2022
Reiss Greenidge (10/8/96)
Liam Edwards (2/10/96)
Liam Gordon (15/5/99)loaned back to Dag & Red to end of season
MJ Williams (6/11/95)
Kieran Lee (22/6/88)
George Thomason (12/1/02)
Brandon Comley (18/11/95)
Antoni Sarcevic (13/3/92)
Ronan Darcy (4/11/00)
Ali Crawford (30/7/91)loaned to Tranmere to end of season
Dennis Politic (5/3/00)
Nathan Delfouneso (2/2/91)

JUNE 2023
Ricardo Santos (18/6/95)
Eoin Doyle (12/3/88)

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:18 am

Thanks DSB. Going to be an interesting summer of recruitment, squad will definitely need improving *if* we get promoted.

We might have clinched promotion in a couple of weeks, then we can set up a summer transfer thread and start speculating about the next Santos or Doyle we’re bringing in. Exciting times.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:43 am

Remember where we were in January. If this is the squad he can pull together when we’re near the bottom of D4 in embargo, I’m excited to see what we might do with a promotion and unfettered finances.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:50 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:43 am
Remember where we were in January. If this is the squad he can pull together when we’re near the bottom of D4 in embargo, I’m excited to see what we might do with a promotion and unfettered finances.
Unfettered is probably the wrong word. I doubt embargo makes much practical difference to what we can afford. All lower league clubs are under wage caps anyway. Can’t see us splashing money either. But it’s clear the ambition is there to improve and drive on.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am

Yeah, I agree, I just liked the internal alliteration.

I’m not expecting us to throw money about like a man with no arms - behind every good Evatt is an even better Sharron - but it’s worth noting we could, for example, pay loan fees, which the embargo prohibits. That doesn’t mean I expect us to hire fly-by-nights but it could make the difference with bidding for someone in their final contract year, like Dapo or Declan John (this season).
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:02 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am
Yeah, I agree, I just liked the internal alliteration.

I’m not expecting us to throw money about like a man with no arms - behind every good Evatt is an ever better Sharron - but it’s worth noting we could, for example, pay loan fees, which the embargo prohibits. That doesn’t mean I expect us to hire fly-by-nights but it could make the difference with bidding for someone in their final contract year, like Dapo or Declan John (this season).
Yep. Absolutely opens some possibilities. Let’s go up first because I think then there will be a wave of positivity and we will be attractive to new recruits. But work to be done first.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:20 am

Oh indeed mate but this is the contract thread so we can throw forwards. :pissed:

For instance, look at Plymouth. Very similar: formerly in admin, sensible new chairman (Simon Hallett), expansive young manager (Ryan Lowe), promoted last season. Last summer, while only really losing Sarce and McFadzean, they recruited 10 players, mostly frees, couple of loans but they also paid Posh an undisclosed fee for George Cooper, who had excelled on loan for them and who (at 23) they gave a 3yr contract precisely to protect their investment: if he continues to improve, they can command a fee for him. Here’s Lowe on the finances:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.plymou ... 482011.amp

Then in January they paid two more undisclosed fees, permanently signing former loanee striker Ryan Hardie (23) from Blackpool and then taking a chance on young Wolves striker Niall Ennis (21).

It’s that sort of deal that the end of the embargo allows. Cooper might have been, dunno, £75,000 or summat but the others were probably more like £20k or £50k. I’m not expecting us to spend much, and I expect us to live within our means, but being forbidden to spend *anything* has to be hampering.

One more thing: we also have a lot of players out of contract so we have a lot more freedom to rebuild.

Exciting times.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:37 am

We also have a few players contracted until 2022 that we will presumably be looking to shift on. Is it likely we will see a Taft situation with Crawford, Greenidge, Gordon and Comley? I certainly can't see anyone paying a fee for them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:16 am

Watched EFL on quest on Sunday. Obviously you only see the goals pretty much. But looked like a big gap between top of L1 and bottom of L2...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:25 am

Also brommers, if you're doing any more of your unpaid scouting work, make sure to look for someone who can take set pieces! Right now we only have John, who isn't even very good at them and might not be with us next year anyway.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:31 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:37 am
We also have a few players contracted until 2022 that we will presumably be looking to shift on. Is it likely we will see a Taft situation with Crawford, Greenidge, Gordon and Comley? I certainly can't see anyone paying a fee for them.
Aye, possibly.

SUMMER 2021
Permanent contract ending (12): Matt Gilks, Alex Baptiste, Harry Brockbank, Ryan Delaney, Jamie Mascoll, Gethin Jones, Jak Hickman, Andrew Tutte, Lloyd Isgrove, Shaun Miller, Mo Faal, Arthur Gnahoua
Loan contract ending (7): Lukas Jensen, Billy Crellin, Declan John, Ben Jackson, Zack Elbouzedi, (Marcus Maddison), Dapo Afolayan
Contract-lapsing kids who would still be U21 next season (4): Matty Alexander, Adam Senior, Sonny Graham, Callum King-Harmes

SUMMER 2022
Permanent contract ending (9): Reiss Greenidge, Liam Edwards, Liam Gordon, MJ Williams, Kieran Lee, Brandon Comley, Antoni Sarcevic, Ali Crawford, Nathan Delfouneso
Still U21 for the 21/22 season (3): George Thomason, Ronan Darcy, Dennis Politic

SUMMER 2023
Permanent contract ending (2): Ricardo Santos, Eoin Doyle

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:53 am

Some tricky decisions coming up with the lads out of contract this summer.

Baptiste - Probably gets another year.
Brockbank - Not been playing so who knows, but I'd say maybe give him a one year deal.
Delaney - Doubt he'll be offered a contract regardless of which division we're in.
Mascoll - Gone.
Jones - Given his recent form I'd say he's in line for a new deal.
Hickman - Gone.
Tutte - Played well for us earlier in the year but fallen down the pecking order. Might want to leave to pursue first team football.
Isgrove - Another who has surely earned a new contract.
Miller - Borderline. Maybe another year if he's happy to be third choice.
Faal - Gone.
Gnahoua - If we get promoted I think he's gone. There are probably League 2 clubs that would offer him a starting role.

Edit: I said tricky, but after writing that out actually most of them are fairly clear cut. Tutte, Brockbank and maybe Gnahoua the only trickyish ones.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:10 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:53 am
Some tricky decisions coming up with the lads out of contract this summer.

Baptiste - Probably gets another year.
Brockbank - Not been playing so who knows, but I'd say maybe give him a one year deal.
Delaney - Doubt he'll be offered a contract regardless of which division we're in.
Mascoll - Gone.
Jones - Given his recent form I'd say he's in line for a new deal.
Hickman - Gone.
Tutte - Played well for us earlier in the year but fallen down the pecking order. Might want to leave to pursue first team football.
Isgrove - Another who has surely earned a new contract.
Miller - Borderline. Maybe another year if he's happy to be third choice.
Faal - Gone.
Gnahoua - If we get promoted I think he's gone. There are probably League 2 clubs that would offer him a starting role.

Edit: I said tricky, but after writing that out actually most of them are fairly clear cut. Tutte, Brockbank and maybe Gnahoua the only trickyish ones.
I can't argue with much of that (and hey look, we're bang back on thread topic) but I would add that as ever, it's also about available alternatives. Despite very pleasing recent results I suspect the squad needs a thorough overhaul – we haven't been blowing teams away, loads of single-goal victories, and as Worthy suggests I suspect there's a big gap between Barrow and Blackpool, Colchester and Charlton, Southend and Sunderland, Port Vale and Portsmouth, Harrogate and Hull [that's enough - Ed.]

With that in mind, and assuming we have alternatives awaiting, I think we have some decisions to make that aren't so much tricky as hard-nosed. Thanks Tuttey and Miller, but we need more depth. Baptiste has been magnificent in the spring but he turns 36 next season, so surely couldn't be first-choice in the third tier. The King has delighted us, but only in patches. Brocky's versatility is useful and he won't cost much but you have to ask with him and everyone else: is he one of the 22-odd players you want in League One?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:12 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:25 am
Also brommers, if you're doing any more of your unpaid scouting work, make sure to look for someone who can take set pieces! Right now we only have John, who isn't even very good at them and might not be with us next year anyway.
It's something that's been in the back of my mind whilst researching players.

For reference, our current corner takers have the following set piece accuracy percentages:
John: Direct FKs = 25% | Corners = 46.4% (and this is probably inflated slightly by short corners)
Isgrove: FKs = N/A | Corners = 41.9% (again short corner inflation)

Obviously what WhoScored define as an accurate corner isn't perfect - the ball could sail over everyone and be collected by a teammate on the opposite touchline and I think that would count as accurate, but it gives us a reference point at least.

Scott Twine who I mentioned in the post about potential attacking midfield targets is someone who seems to have decent technique from set pieces. His corner accuracy is slightly better than John's and Isgrove's, with 50% for both his time at Newport and Swindon this season.

His direct free kicks though appear to be a big upgrade on John, with Twine getting 46.7% of his FKs on target whilst at Newport, and 50% on target with Swindon since he was recalled from his loan spell in January.

It's something that he's mentioned he works hard on and models his technique on Cristiano Ronaldo. You can see it in his run up and ball striking:

Example here (couldn't get the video to embed, I promise it's not a dodgy link):

https://vimeo.com/536729423

Twine on his ball striking technique after winning the L2 goal of the month award in October

"When Cristiano Ronaldo was at Manchester United, I watched him every week and he was my idol - he still is now,” said Twine.

“I watched how he use to take free kicks, how he shot and how he moved the ball in different directions.

“I always wanted to do that, so as a kid I used to practice in the garden or in school with my mates.

“I’ve changed things slightly to make it better for me, but I’ve still got to improve that. I still practice my technique in training most days.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport ... win-award/

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:30 pm

Since we became Promotion candidates recently, I have been reading DSBs Contract Expiration list and scratching my head as to who could be successful in L1 if we were to be promoted and aiming to be competing at the top end of the Division. As Worthy said, there is a big gap. We will need experienced L1 players and some good young Championship players to compete.

Outside of the aged Gilks and Baptiste we have Lee, Delf and MJ who fit in that category. Have I left out anyone? John seems like he can do a job there. Not too sure about Dapo but that's it. We will need an injection of a lot new blood and keep the regulars of this squad. Therefore, Being embargo free is a big plus.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:04 pm

A balance definitely needs to be made though, I would be reticent to do another complete overhaul as we can't afford another poor start to the season like this one. For that reason, I reckon we'll retain half of the lads out of contract and attempt to make John, Dapo and even Elbouzedi permanent. At the very least they are already integrated into our style of play.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:27 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:04 pm
A balance definitely needs to be made though, I would be reticent to do another complete overhaul as we can't afford another poor start to the season like this one. For that reason, I reckon we'll retain half of the lads out of contract and attempt to make John, Dapo and even Elbouzedi permanent. At the very least they are already integrated into our style of play.
That's a fair point. Although he'd have another summer to Download Content, it would be easier with a bunch he already knows. That said, you have to work out the headroom for each player to improve: he might listen, he might understand, but can he actually do it against the next tier of opponents?

No argument that he'll try to retain John and Dapo, and Elbo wouldn't surprise me either as he has Genuine Electric Pace and seems increasingly trusted as sub.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:46 pm

I hate discussing this till we actually achieve it...but with the caveat that doing so means we are now jinxed to not go up...

League one to me is more physical than league two. Some strong athletic sorts in there. So that needs addressing. I think likes of Gnahoua will go. If he can’t play regularly in league two...,Do anything we can to keep John. Elbouzedi can go for me. Dapo...not sure...is he ever going to find an end product? A risk either way.

We need stronger midfield types. A right back and couple of centre backs. A keeper. A striker or two. A wideman. Interesting to see how it shakes out.

But of course we won’t see that as we will now be stuck in league 2....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 pm

I’m going to see what league we are in first. Can’t see Arthur making the grade. Unsure on Baptiste - He’s played week in, week out with plenty of midweek so I’m not going to write him off yet. Brockbank looked capable of Championship football when he first started out, he might be well priced and happy to be part of the squad.

I sort of agree on Dapo and his lack of end product but he’s learning at an older age, deffo worth preserving with a few late developers - just not at 28 like Arthur.

Need a new keeper whatever league we are in. Even if Gills starts as number 1.