Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Contract expiry

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:20 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:23 am
Each player is of course in a slightly different situation. Some, like Rico, Baxter, Toal and Sheehan are likely quite confident that they are Championship level players, and may be hesitant to sign new deals prior to the end of the season, even if we baked in significant wage rises for promotion.

The likes of Jones, JDC, Iredale and Williams would perhaps be more willing to commit to new deals sooner, as their ability to step up a level is less certain.
All accepting of course that none of them think they are more important than the club (yes, I know, they are professionals, but the word "career" has firmly replaced what use to be "Job". ) Ambition is a fine and accepted thing, but a touch of loyalty always does it for me. It will be interesting to see....Que Sera Sera... :wink:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:20 am
The_Gun wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:23 am
Each player is of course in a slightly different situation. Some, like Rico, Baxter, Toal and Sheehan are likely quite confident that they are Championship level players, and may be hesitant to sign new deals prior to the end of the season, even if we baked in significant wage rises for promotion.

The likes of Jones, JDC, Iredale and Williams would perhaps be more willing to commit to new deals sooner, as their ability to step up a level is less certain.
All accepting of course that none of them think they are more important than the club (yes, I know, they are professionals, but the word "career" has firmly replaced what use to be "Job". ) Ambition is a fine and accepted thing, but a touch of loyalty always does it for me. It will be interesting to see....Que Sera Sera... :wink:

ae:) ae:)
Figures for salaries in the Champo are what? 10-30 grand a week? vs League 1 at, I dunno maybe 4-10k per week? Your appreciation of my loyalty is only going to get you so far, TD. If I'm on 7 and offered 20, I'm probably taking the 20. That's nothing to do with whether the Club is more important than me or not. :-)

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:07 pm

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:11 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:07 pm
Toal signs a new 3yr deal;

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... extension/
Super news. That leaves the following lapsing in summer 2025: Baxter, Coleman, Jones, Santos, Iredale, Dacres-Cogley, Williams, Sheehan. Next priorities presumably Santos, Sheehan and Baxter.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:42 pm

That's great news on Toal.

I imagine we'll likely have to find out which league we'll be playing in next season before we cam tie down Santos, Sheehan, and Baxter.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:58 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:42 pm
That's great news on Toal.

I imagine we'll likely have to find out which league we'll be playing in next season before we cam tie down Santos, Sheehan, and Baxter.
Aye, unless they accept twin-track contracts which pay more in the higher tier.

Toal is four years younger than Santos and Sheehan, and a few months younger than Baxter, who of course came from Chelsea and turned down Champions League football to come here. You’d imagine he would want promotion before extending, and might even request some sort of relegation release agreement.

Santos and Sheehan arguably more likely to stick around whatever division, but they’ll be aware they turn 30 by summer 2025 so this might be their last very good contract. Unless of course they lead us to the Premier… :D

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:08 pm

Delighted with the Toal renewal, really deserved.

Baxter's deal's likely to be on the cards and probably in a good place given he seems to be happy with his time here. Depends on where we finish and how much that impacts his desires to progress. We certainly seem a good bet to be heading in the right direction and training him.

Would be nice to have Sheehan get a new contract, i'm sure they'll all be under consideration.