Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20147
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:20 pm

Yeah Wright was v good on Sunday, but dreadful yesterday.

This window absolutely has to have an eye on next year. 18 month contracts or 6 but players we expect we could keep.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35977
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:40 pm
But regardless he wasn't trudging round league 2 next year - so this is an opportunity to take a look at someone who might be.
Shouldn't we therefore be getting shot of all the loan players then?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26216
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Contract expiry

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:40 pm
But regardless he wasn't trudging round league 2 next year - so this is an opportunity to take a look at someone who might be.
Shouldn't we therefore be getting shot of all the loan players then?
It's not out of question that Wright would stay in league 2 is it? Earl - like I say fills two positions so arguably makes sense for him to stay given our numbers.

Bridcutt and Verlinden clearly wouldn't be here next season - and sounds like both are likely to leave now - its an opportunity to look at someone who might be here next season IMO - given we are in essence working to that now regardless.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Contract expiry

Post by DJBlu » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:04 pm

The scary thing about all of it is Wright is probably the best we can get. Can't head a ball, no pace, positioning is terrible, no strength and he gives Beevers a run for his money when it comes to distribution.

He can block a shot occasionally though.

If you think Wheater is past it then god knows what the phrase for Wright is.

The_Gun
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Contract expiry

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 am

I read the BN's interview with Darcy and he was making the right noises about being committed to the club etc, but the fact he's not signed a pro deal makes me think he's waiting to assess his options at the end of the year.

Losing Ronan for nothing/peanuts would be a right kick in the balls after Connell and Turner.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17528
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:57 am

Just out of interest, I note that after missing Oldham's second and third league games through injury, Wheater hasn't missed a minute of league action since August 20th. On that injury:

"I did it in the [first] game [just after he signed] and I probably should have come off, but I was trying to soldier on in my first game and be a hero. I think it was because I was at Bolton Wanderers in pre-season and all the friendlies got cancelled, we had a few behind closed doors friendlies but they weren’t played at a good tempo.

"My second day at Latics was a proper game and I just got a tiny tear in my thigh but it’s fine now. It was probably my fault because the Head Coach came and asked me and I said yeah I’m ready to play but I felt like I was ready. I think I did it in the first half and staying on probably made it worse but it’s fine now."

Still not sure we should sign him, like, but I'm not sure "injury-prone" is the stick to beat him with. In his three seasons here under Parky he played 43, 33 and 33 league games; that's a far better appearance average than our current centre-backs are managing, although here we may have to question the potential (lack of) sports-science advice the management team are seeking and getting, and indeed the somewhat game-to-game management of a threadbare squad.

----

More widely, interesting piece from Marc Iles this morning noting that by the Rochdale game this time next week, without incomings we would only have 13 registered professionals available (so not including Darcy, although I think Edwards, Zouma, Brockbank, Politic and Hall are on pro contracts). It sounds like Buckley's six-month contract includes the Dale game but I guess it also depends on when/whether Earl/Wright get recalled. This is the list as I see it (excluding Darcy and other kidlets):

?Will Buckley?
?Josh Earl?
?Jake Wright?
Remi Matthews
Josh Emmanuel
?INJ? Jack Hobbs
Yoan Zouma
INJ Joe Bunney
SUS Jason Lowe
SUS Luke Murphy

James Weir
Ali Crawford
Dennis Politic
Chris O'Grady
Daryl Murphy
Connor Hall
Harry Brockbank
Liam Edwards

nicholaldo
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Contract expiry

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:08 pm

Well, according to transfermarkt.co.uk, Wright, Earl, Bridcutt, and Buckley will officially return/be out of contract on Monday. That may or may not be accurate but it does tally with the fact that the club's official website has only, thus far, confirmed Verlinden's departure (the same source suggests his time with us apparently came to end two days ago, which was also the same day the club confirmed he'd left).

Bunney, Hobbs, Crawford, and Hall are all injured and there have been no reports (at least that I'm aware of) which indicate they're nearing a return, although Hill has surprised us before. And we know that both Luke Murphy and Lowe are suspended for one and both matches respectively. Chicksen I'm unsure about, but he signed for us on 14th September 2019 so if he signed until January I suppose it's plausible that he might be with us for the next ten days.

So, I make it that the following ten players are those we can reasonably be sure are a) still signed to a professional contract with us, and b) available to play in our next two matches:

Matthews
Brockbank
Edwards
Zouma
Emmanuel
Politic
Weir
Dodoo
Daryl Murphy
O'Grady

Bertie Wooster
Promising
Promising
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:20 pm

Earl has confirmed his return to Preston.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35977
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:24 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:20 pm
Earl has confirmed his return to Preston.
That's a blow 😊
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bertie Wooster
Promising
Promising
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:24 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:20 pm
Earl has confirmed his return to Preston.
That's a blow 😊
I don't particularly rate him, I only posted as an update in response to the previous Nicholaldo post

nicholaldo
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Contract expiry

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:53 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:20 pm
Earl has confirmed his return to Preston.

That's probably good news for Chicksen.

Bertie Wooster
Promising
Promising
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 pm

And for anyone wanting Wheater back watch the goals that Oldham conceded today at Cheltenham, shocking defending - he's an absolute carthorse.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Contract expiry

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:13 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 pm
And for anyone wanting Wheater back watch the goals that Oldham conceded today at Cheltenham, shocking defending - he's an absolute carthorse.
___________________
___________________
___________________
___________________
___________________
___________________

Please fill in with players you would like to have.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7280
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:23 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:13 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 pm
And for anyone wanting Wheater back watch the goals that Oldham conceded today at Cheltenham, shocking defending - he's an absolute carthorse.
Before bringing Wheater back?
___________________
____Zouma_______________
_____Edwards______________
_____Brockbank_____________
_____Wright______________
______Senior____________

Please fill in with players you would like to have.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2192
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Contract expiry

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:23 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:13 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 pm
And for anyone wanting Wheater back watch the goals that Oldham conceded today at Cheltenham, shocking defending - he's an absolute carthorse.
Before bringing Wheater back?
___________________
____Zouma_______________
_____Edwards______________
_____Brockbank_____________
_____Wright______________
______Senior____________

Please fill in with players you would like to have.
Uh-huh. And how many multi-goal defeats do you think fans will endure before criticising Hill for not having any experience or leadership at the back, and calling for his head?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7280
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:05 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:26 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:23 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:13 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 pm
And for anyone wanting Wheater back watch the goals that Oldham conceded today at Cheltenham, shocking defending - he's an absolute carthorse.
Before bringing Wheater back?
___________________
____Zouma_______________
_____Edwards______________
_____Brockbank_____________
_____Wright______________
______Senior____________

Please fill in with players you would like to have.
Uh-huh. And how many multi-goal defeats do you think fans will endure before criticising Hill for not having any experience or leadership at the back, and calling for his head?
He's got Wright and Hobbs (if he's ever fit).

I liked Wheater. He was a great servant and I was sorry he had to leave before the takeover was completed. However, I do think bringing him back would be a retrograde step. He's out of form now playing in a lower division.

If we need another experienced centre back then I'd much prefer we look elsewhere and certainly higher up than the 4th division.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2192
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Contract expiry

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:05 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:26 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:23 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:13 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 pm
And for anyone wanting Wheater back watch the goals that Oldham conceded today at Cheltenham, shocking defending - he's an absolute carthorse.
Before bringing Wheater back?
___________________
____Zouma_______________
_____Edwards______________
_____Brockbank_____________
_____Wright______________
______Senior____________

Please fill in with players you would like to have.
Uh-huh. And how many multi-goal defeats do you think fans will endure before criticising Hill for not having any experience or leadership at the back, and calling for his head?
He's got Wright and Hobbs (if he's ever fit).

I liked Wheater. He was a great servant and I was sorry he had to leave before the takeover was completed. However, I do think bringing him back would be a retrograde step. He's out of form now playing in a lower division.

If we need another experienced centre back then I'd much prefer we look elsewhere and certainly higher up than the 4th division.
Hobbs being fit is an enormous "if". And it looks like Wright is off. We need experience at the back. If Wheater is our only target then yes, I'd be disappointed with the ambition. But I very much doubt that he is. It makes sense to me to explore the option of a player who knows the club and is popular with the fanbase whilst we look at other possibilities.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17528
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:16 pm

Updated with various ins and outs.

JUNE 2020
(Presumably) Remi Matthews
Josh Emmanuel
Jack Hobbs
Yoan Zouma (pro)
Toto Nsiala (loan from Ipswich; contracted there until 2021)
Brandon Fleming (loan from Hull; contracted there until 2021)
Joe Bunney
Jason Lowe
Luke Murphy
James Weir
Ethan Hamilton (loan from the rags; contract length there unknown)
Ali Crawford
Ronan Darcy (3rd year scholar)
(Presumably) Dennis Politic (pro)
Joe Dodoo
Chris O'Grady
Daryl Murphy
Connor Hall (pro, 18/02/98, striker)

JUNE 2021
Harry Brockbank (pro)
George Thomason
Mo Faal

JUNE 2022
Liam Edwards (pro)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2124
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: Contract expiry

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:29 pm

Politic has signed a contract extension to June 2022.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

The_Gun
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Contract expiry

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:48 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:29 pm
Politic has signed a contract extension to June 2022.
That is really positive news. Hopefully wee Ronan follows suit.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests