Support next season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Support next season

Post by Salford Trotter » Mon May 14, 2012 12:48 am

From what I can gather we've been enjoying average gates of approx 23k so what will it be next season?

I reckon that we'll break 17k as an average if we have a good start which is dire given the fact that the ticket prices will be so competitive
The Voice Of Reason

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Support next season

Post by DJBlu » Mon May 14, 2012 1:23 am

Factor in there will be no streams next year nor dodgy watching in pubs and we might pull in a few more.

18.5k average?

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon May 14, 2012 7:41 am

I honestly think around 15k. People are getting very p**sed off with Coyle and I can't see us selling many tickets other than season tickets.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 14, 2012 8:00 am

We start winning games the crowds will increase.

If we have another poor season I can see us going back to crowds of 12,000

We just don't have a big enough core support and the corporate will disappear too.

the-Bowtun-Warrior
Reliable
Reliable

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior » Mon May 14, 2012 8:14 am

Not sure this belongs in here but mention of the cooperate has given me a thought...

Might 188BET bugger off now? Christ, I hope so.

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Mon May 14, 2012 8:26 am

Most folk will stick around next season. Should pull in some big crowds, average will be about 17/18 thousand. It's if we dont go up first time round when we need to worry, crowds will drop big time.
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 14, 2012 8:47 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:We start winning games the crowds will increase.

If we have another poor season I can see us going back to crowds of 12,000

We just don't have a big enough core support and the corporate will disappear too.
Agree with this.

I think 17K averages are optimistic.

I hope that if the club drop the matchday prices (which they should IMO) we could fill the ground for some games, especially local derbies.

The likes of Barnsley on a Tuesday night in December though, we'll be struggling to go past 15 IMO.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Mon May 14, 2012 12:23 pm

I would be very surprised if the average is more than 16,000 or so. Granted we'll get decent enough crowds against Blackburn/Leeds/Sheff Wed, but Peterborough at home on a Tuesday night may be a struggle. A lot will depend on how season ticket sales go, but it will be hard to justify dropping the match day prices if it means undermining season ticket holders. That said, I'd expect the category A prices to be scrapped and charge £20ish for most games, £25ish for the bigger games.

Anyone got the stats from the First Division years under Allardyce?
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Mon May 14, 2012 12:32 pm

what was the average in our last spell in england's second tier? bout 13k?

fair to say we'll have picked up a few more having an 11 year spell in the top flight.

i'd guess around a 15k average. give or take depending on performances.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Mon May 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Really?

Granted midweek games at that retail park near Wigan are achingly shite, but Saturday 3pm and we'd again average 20k+, I'm sure of it.

We've gained a lot of new fans, and there are some big clubs in the championship with decent away followings, we can get that soulless concrete bowl rocking......!

We averaged 14k last time, but in the local derbies we were getting nearer 20k, us and Jackburn would possibly sell out both stadiums when we're playing each other, for example.
Troll and proud of it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2012 1:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I hope that if the club drop the matchday prices (which they should IMO)
I'd be amazed if they don't. Like Blackburn and Wigan, we've been quite responsive to, ah, market forces.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 14, 2012 1:11 pm

No one will be able to ise 'shit kick off time' as an excuse

Barr Hill
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barr Hill » Mon May 14, 2012 1:14 pm

All the assumptions are based around that we have a bloody good season !!!!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 pm

officer_dibble wrote:No one will be able to ise 'shit kick off time' as an excuse
West Ham fan in the office says Champo game-times are fiddled with even more than the Prem.

But at least we might be on telly now and again, and not as the target for some Chelsea bukkake.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I hope that if the club drop the matchday prices (which they should IMO)
I'd be amazed if they don't. Like Blackburn and Wigan, we've been quite responsive to, ah, market forces.
Well yes, the only issue they may raise is that if they did that it could "disadvantage" those who already bought season tickets......I'd come in that category, and wouldn't be bothered. They could give tickets away for free if they want, just want the ground full.

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Mon May 14, 2012 7:31 pm

17k average no chance! that south stand will rarely get full by away supporters, we have relied on big clubs in the premiership to fill that to get our average gate up because of our shit support. It will be more like 14k alot are going to lose interest because playing in the championship isnt appealing, i will go to has many games has i can because we need to go up at the first attempt. I've still not got my head around this yet it will sink in when we play our first championship game, how Coyle is still in a job is beyond me.
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Mon May 14, 2012 7:34 pm

And this Category bollocks will have to be scraped its never really worked and certainly won't in the championship.
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Mon May 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Jokers in White wrote:17k average no chance! that south stand will rarely get full by away supporters, we have relied on big clubs in the premiership to fill that to get our average gate up because of our shit support. It will be more like 14k alot are going to lose interest because playing in the championship isnt appealing, i will go to has many games has i can because we need to go up at the first attempt. I've still not got my head around this yet it will sink in when we play our first championship game, how Coyle is still in a job is beyond me.

I think there will be some wildly fluctuating away turnouts at the Reebok next season. Just a dusting of say Peterborough or Ipswich fans, but an absolute both tiers packed out type scene when the likes of Sheffield Wednesday come, and when Leeds come back for relegation revenge.

Come to think of it, Im sure a number of former Premier League teams will be coming to us looking to get their own back for crucial defeats by our hands in the last 11 years

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 14, 2012 8:25 pm

My guess - 13k on a bad day (league cup notwithstanding), 22k on a good day, so 16-17k average.

This may improve if we're challenging, and may go down if we're not.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon May 14, 2012 9:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Well yes, the only issue they may raise is that if they did that it could "disadvantage" those who already bought season tickets......I'd come in that category, and wouldn't be bothered. They could give tickets away for free if they want, just want the ground full.
I don't think the club will drop the season ticket prices and give refunds. There are 23 home games in the Championship compared with 19 in the Premier, if the average match day ticket for where I sit was £25 (I honestly don't know the cost) then to go to all games, which I do, would cost me £575 match day price, the season ticket will cost me £369 (less my Lifeline discount) which is a saving of at least £205 on match day prices.
Seems good to me.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion