It's been a while

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Walkley_owl
Hopeful
Hopeful

It's been a while

Post by Walkley_owl » Mon May 14, 2012 10:47 am

Since we last met, 11 years or so since a Christmas time meeting at The Reebok, sorry to see you've come down, I have an awful record watching Wednesday at your place be it Burnden or the Reebok, but we enter next season full of optimism and hope under Dave Jones.

What's happening with Wanderers, in the sh*t financially or will all be ok?

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Re: It's been a while

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 14, 2012 10:48 am

We'll be reet.
For a bit.
Looking forward to going back to Hillsborough actually, one of my favourite away days despite one or two tonkings i've seen us get there in the past !

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon May 14, 2012 10:50 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:We'll be reet.
For a bit.
Looking forward to going back to Hillsborough actually, one of my favourite away days despite one or two tonkings i've seen us get there in the past !
Did you see the 4-1? Mid/late 90's.

I live in Sheff so looking forward to going to Hillsborough and hoping United go up too.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Walkley_owl
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Walkley_owl » Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 am

4-2 in 1995?

HM Murdock
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by HM Murdock » Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 am

Hi Pal

The financial situation isnt as bad as most think, the majority of the debt i think is to the owner

Looking forward to seeing Wednesday play, they are my second team through family etc, - great to see them promoted, just a shame we had to get relegated
West Stand White

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 14, 2012 10:54 am

yip the 5-2 i think it was?...nearly crashed on the pass coming back, crappy foggy weather it was.

Walkley_owl
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Walkley_owl » Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 am

4-2 New Years Day 1996, Hirst and Kovacevic netted for two apiece for us.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 am

I got the memory of a sieve but the one I went to Andy Boothe had been out for ages, it was his first game back and he got a hattrick. We seem to have an amazing healing effect on opposition players :D

Walkley_owl
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Walkley_owl » Mon May 14, 2012 10:59 am

HM Murdock wrote:Hi Pal

The financial situation isnt as bad as most think, the majority of the debt i think is to the owner

Looking forward to seeing Wednesday play, they are my second team through family etc, - great to see them promoted, just a shame we had to get relegated

Always liked Bolton, as a kid growing up they were the cup team that beat just about everyone in the early to mid 90s, Gartside diminished my affection a little, he's a weird one and mates with Dave Richards (c**t) and then we had Gary Megson who certainly wasn't liked at your place.

Roll on June 18th

Walkley_owl
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Walkley_owl » Mon May 14, 2012 11:00 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:I got the memory of a sieve but the one I went to Andy Boothe had been out for ages, it was his first game back and he got a hattrick. We seem to have an amazing healing effect on opposition players :D

5-0 November 1997, Pleat had just been sacked, it was 5-0 at half time.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon May 14, 2012 11:02 am

Walkley_owl wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:I got the memory of a sieve but the one I went to Andy Boothe had been out for ages, it was his first game back and he got a hattrick. We seem to have an amazing healing effect on opposition players :D

5-0 November 1997, Pleat had just been sacked, it was 5-0 at half time.
Ahh, thought it was 4-1. Thanks for that! :)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 14, 2012 12:04 pm

We owe probably about £12m to the bank. The rest to the owner. The reason we owe so much is because we now own the stadium and the 2 training grounds, which is great.

I've seen us play in 4 divisions, I've seen us play in europe, I've seen us relegated, promoted, relegated and promoted again.

One thing we always do is bounce back. We can do it again. We WILL do it again!!

As for next season, I'm looking forward to visiting some old acquantances and some new gaffs too..

Only been to Hillsbrough twice. Saw us lose 5-1 (I think) an win 3-0 after an Ian Marshall hum-dinger.

I'm glad we don't have to see Megson's smug face again, though..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Mon May 14, 2012 12:09 pm

My boss is an Ipswich fan. He's rubbing his hands at the prospect of "renewing hostilities". He's even invoked Jim Magilton, in the same way we might mention Super John to a Wolves fan. I'm looking forward to it in a perverse kind of way, assuming we can keep a decent squad together.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Shite i forgot about Ipswich.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Walkley_owl wrote:4-2 New Years Day 1996, Hirst and Kovacevic netted for two apiece for us.
I was there. It was quite foggy and my arse was frozen to the wooden seat - it was wood right? Either way it was feckin freezin.

New Years Day. What was I thinking. I travelled up from London, complete with hangover and even managed to miss our game immeidately after half time as I was still getting my bovril :(

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Mon May 14, 2012 12:15 pm

50sQuiff wrote:My boss is an Ipswich fan. He's rubbing his hands at the prospect of "renewing hostilities". He's even invoked Jim Magilton, in the same way we might mention Super John to a Wolves fan. I'm looking forward to it in a perverse kind of way, assuming we can keep a decent squad together.
Likewise, I'm looking forward to Ipswich, Barnsley, Sheff Wednesday and the like. In a bizarre way, playing Wolves and even t'Roverrrs in the First Division has a weird way of being more attractive as a Championship than in the Prem. Not sure whether it's because of evoking memories of promotion battles past or whether they will be elevated to being the bigger games of the season rather than the 'big four' etc?
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon May 14, 2012 12:21 pm

boltonboris wrote:I'm glad we don't have to see Megson's smug face again, though..
They were wearing Megson faces in the crowd before, not sure if they still do it. Would be a nightmare scenario to go there, get a thumping, and see thousands of Megsons everywhere.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Mon May 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Would be a nightmare scenario to go there, get a thumping, and see thousands of Megsons everywhere.
You've already said that to a shrink in the past, haven't you?
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2012 1:04 pm

Weren't Wednesday the only top-flight side to beat Rioch's lower-league Cup battlers?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Oldham and Liverpool?