The Barcl.... npower Championship

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The Barcl.... npower Championship

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I'm desperate to hold on to the likes of NRC, Ream, Ricketts, Holden, Chungy etc..
I'm not really worried that any of those will leave, unless Ricketts wants more than we can give.
I hope you're right, mate.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Bogdan
Alonso (Gaol notwithstanding)
Ricketts
Ream
an other (with plenty to chose from)
Holden (I know, but this is the positive thread)
NRC
Vela
Mavies (??)
Pratley (maybe THIS is his level)
Kavies (at this level)
N'Gog (surely to God he can dominate a few in the 2nd division)
Sordell (assuming we sign him ... what / We HAVE signed him ? When ??)
Eagles
CY Lee

Plus one or two others. No reason, Cpt Chaos apart, why this lot shouldn't do OK in the 2nd division. No reason at all.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon May 14, 2012 4:34 pm

I'm looking forward to it for a few reasons, not least of which, we don't have to play a rich man's plaything every other week. Should be some great games and some cracking away travels.

I think it might be a bit tougher on the younger fans who have only known the Pl but I can tell you having seen the whites in every division some of my greatest memories are not from the PL. Might be looking back with a bit of nostalgia but nonetheless there will be good times to be had.

We'll still be watching the Whites and that's what it's all about.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

claus jensens guitar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by claus jensens guitar » Mon May 14, 2012 4:44 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:Realistically I think we have three seasons to get back in the premier league, it just gets even harder after the first.
We do get parachute payments for 4 years.
2013 £19m
2014 £14m
2015 £8m
2016 £8m

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon May 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Do we get our tv money from this year too on top of that, or did we get it at the start of the season/per game?

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Mon May 14, 2012 5:16 pm

claus jensens guitar wrote:
wanderers_on_tour wrote:Realistically I think we have three seasons to get back in the premier league, it just gets even harder after the first.
2013 £19m
2014 £14m
2015 £8m
2016 £8m
My point wasn't based purely on the parachute payments. Other aspects like falling attendances (which will happen, if not immediately) and the result of both our younger and 'better' players wanting to move on when/if they realise we won't be able to offer them premier league football any time soon also have to be taken into consideration. I stand by the 3 year margin, although next season is most critical.
Last edited by wanderers_on_tour on Mon May 14, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenHammers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BenHammers » Mon May 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Hammers fan here.. I can relate to the pain a lot of you are feeling at the moment along with the optimism for next season.

Although the Premier league is the best place to be, it can simply become too much losing games week after week. It's great winning games regardless of what division you're in. There's something magical about the championship that you don't experience in the Premier league. You discover who the real fans are - the ones who still turn up game after game and get behind their team. You discover the players who actually want to play for your team compared to the ones who decide to jump ship. You discover passion, particularly where the playoffs are concerened.

We're going to have a great day out this Saturday at Wembley and hopefully, we won't slip up.. other wise, some revenge is required next season for the dreadful record we have against you.

It's not all bad. But it won't always be a walk in the park. There are some very competitive teams in the championship and some will only get better next season. Whatever happens, stick with your team and don't let relegation get in the way of the love for your club.

Good luck for next season.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon May 14, 2012 5:52 pm

BenHammers wrote:Hammers fan here.. I can relate to the pain a lot of you are feeling at the moment along with the optimism for next season.

Although the Premier league is the best place to be, it can simply become too much losing games week after week. It's great winning games regardless of what division you're in. There's something magical about the championship that you don't experience in the Premier league. You discover who the real fans are - the ones who still turn up game after game and get behind their team. You discover the players who actually want to play for your team compared to the ones who decide to jump ship. You discover passion, particularly where the playoffs are concerened.

We're going to have a great day out this Saturday at Wembley and hopefully, we won't slip up.. other wise, some revenge is required next season for the dreadful record we have against you.

It's not all bad. But it won't always be a walk in the park. There are some very competitive teams in the championship and some will only get better next season. Whatever happens, stick with your team and don't let relegation get in the way of the love for your club.

Good luck for next season.

cheers. obviously the ideal scenario would have been us staying up and you lot getting promoted, thus securing us at least six points next season. seriously though, good luck next week.

i was quite calm about things yesterday and this morning, but feeling more and more gutted as the day goes on.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Nice one cheers mate.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon May 14, 2012 6:10 pm

A West Ham fan who isn't an arse, this IS a positive thread!

Good luck on Saturday.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 14, 2012 6:13 pm

Feck all this three years to get back. We have to do it first time. Let's stop messing about and get something right.

Every year you're down there it just gets harder. Took a fantastic manager to rescue us in our third year last time and let's not forget had we not got promoted at Cardiff, we were staring into the financial abyss.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon May 14, 2012 6:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Feck all this three years to get back. We have to do it first time. Let's stop messing about and get something right.

Every year you're down there it just gets harder. Took a fantastic manager to rescue us in our third year last time and let's not forget had we not got promoted at Cardiff, we were staring into the financial abyss.
And every year we’re away, the likes of QPR, Fulham, Norwich, Swansea, etc. will be using that Premier League money to consolidate their position.

Holden and Lee might stick around for one year in the Championship. They won’t stick around for two.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon May 14, 2012 6:40 pm

H. Pedersen wrote: And every year we’re away, the likes of QPR, Fulham, Norwich, Swansea, etc. will be using that Premier League money to consolidate their position.
Like we did? :)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 14, 2012 7:07 pm

I'm almost buzzing about it! 96/97 memories I guess. We might win some games! Wooohoo
No games I KNOW we will drop our pants and take our punishment.

Im going to go to some new grounds and visit some I haven't seen for yonks.

Literally the only thing that worries me is captain tactics and his boys club!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 14, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm excited at getting a season ticket again

I'm excited at seeing all those sides and grounds we haven't seen for a bit

I'm excited that nobody will expect an easy game against us next year

I'm excited at seeing fringe & youth players being given a chance

I only hope I'm still excited come Xmas time - sure I will be though (I reserve the right to disassociate myself from that claim if it all goes teats up)
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon May 14, 2012 7:46 pm

As I've repeatedly said for a couple of months now, I'm not phased by relegation and frankly, I CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON :D

For the first time in 3 years I'm having a season ticket, and I've every intention of doing a good few away matches. New grounds, proper football and the knowledge that every week we could win....it's everything the Premiership should be.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon May 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Well we got what we deserved but must admit I'm gutted that I won't be able to see the Wanderers on TV again. If we don't return to the PL next season have a suspicion it might be a long time before it happens again. Anyway it has been a lot of fun. Remember the excitement of getting to watch my first Wanderers game ever on TV (Bolton/Liverpool League Cup Final). Since then I seen them hundreds of times but guess all good things must come to an end.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 14, 2012 7:54 pm

I completely endorse this thread, strangely looking forward to the challenge and it's going to make for an interesting season. I don't think it'll be a cake walk in the slightest but I know we have it in us
Pfffft.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:57 pm

claus jensens guitar wrote:
2013 £19m
2014 £14m
2015 £8m
2016 £8m
Should we achieve promotion at the first attempt, does anybody know if we would still receive the parachute payments as well as the resultant Premier League television income?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon May 14, 2012 7:58 pm

No - if you go back up your parachute payments are replaced with the regular Sky PL money.

No double dipping.