Are we an "unprofessional" professional football club?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Are we an "unprofessional" professional football club?

Post by bobo the clown » Wed May 16, 2012 10:21 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:I'm assuming he had unlimited access to the restaurant & a la carte menu at De Vere Whites hotel?
And maybe even an arse-wiping machine in his hotel room?
And has a few quid, can speak the lingo and can get himself about, too?

Perfectly understand the 'it wouldn't have happened under BSA' sentiment, and subscribe to it.
It's an old story now, but my take on it ... & why I whinged when I read Ream's quotes ... was that, whether you or I would have coped better & indeed hoped HE would have coped better the man himself said that in those first few weeks he felt lonely, uncertain & unsettled.

That is the fact.

It's hardly abuse .... but it's not good management. It's risking the success of a very large piece of investment.

A professional set up would have ensured that didn't happen.

Fck, I'd be willing to set up a business arranging to help new recruits settle in in their few weeks in a new job/environment/country/culture.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed May 16, 2012 10:24 am

Maybe its a case of the club trying to compete with the new footballing landscape using old methods. Allardyce tried to change the Bolton landscape but didn't have the funds and did the best he could, now were just trying to reinvent using youth but no new technology or fitness methods.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 am

Don't disagree with any of that...my main gripe is not with Tim himself but that people think he was so lost & naive & alone that he was forced, at gunpoint, maybe by people dressed up as chickens, to eat in Nando's, and assuming that he's sat there with gravy down his chin shovelling greasy buckets of chicken down his gob.

Like you say, it was hardly abuse and in the life of a pampered footballer it's almost nice to know they have to live in the real workd from time to time, but you would hope the club will take this on board in future.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed May 16, 2012 10:28 am

Err - GTE eats fry ups, has a broken back and runs marathons.

Ream needs to man up.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed May 16, 2012 10:29 am

Wandering Willy wrote:Err - GTE eats fry ups, has a broken back and runs marathons.

Ream needs to man up.
yep ... but his time was shite.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 16, 2012 10:33 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:Err - GTE eats fry ups, has a broken back and runs marathons.

Ream needs to man up.

:shock: :fingers:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 16, 2012 10:35 am

bobo the clown wrote:

Ream needs to man up.
probably a tad faster then yours would have been ;)

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Wed May 16, 2012 10:37 am

Yeah, man-up big time.

I move country almost every year.

Pretty simple - buy a car, go to an information centre, buy a lonely planet guide on the region, get a restuarant guide on the region, and discover the place you've just committed yourself to for x number of years.

At least he speaks the same language ... sort of.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed May 16, 2012 10:38 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Ream needs to man up.
probably a tad faster then yours would have been ;)
Never in question. 8)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 16, 2012 10:39 am

Aye, if the bloke had any get up and go about him, he'd have rented an apartment in Town like the others do.

Plenty to do in Manchester if you're earning £10k per week.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 16, 2012 10:44 am

I find this whole Ream left to his own devices, had to eat Nandos for a month thing rather strange. Whilst I'm sure the club could do more, aren't people prone to exaggeration? Are you telling me that his new team mates didn't make any effort whatsoever with him? I find it hard to believe they did not and I'm sure even some of the wives would have made sure he was ok, even if via their hubbies.

I'm sat here in a hotel room at the start of a new life abroad and have been for the last 3 weeks. I don't have work at the moment, so what I do is I get out and about most days and explore. I've been house hunting, checking out electrical stores for white goods for the new villa and generally sussing out how things work out here. I even managed to get out fishing one day. I'll admit that I'm a little bored at times, but I've occupied myself, found plenty of food options and am looking forward to getting on with things in the new villa next week.

Here is a guy that has moved to a new country, with the same langage and not a so radically different culture. He is embarking on what must be an amazing adventure, earning money most folk can only dream about. Ok, it might be a bit tough at times and the timing might have been a bit off. But he is a grown man and should be able to cope and make basic food choices and fend for himself. Unless he is a complete arsehole his team mates will have been there for him.

There is plenty to point the finger at Coyle and his cronies, but going after him for this is plain ridiculous. If I can manage in an environment much more different to home than USA to UK then I don't see why I should expect Ream to only cope if he is having his arse wiped for him.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 16, 2012 10:48 am

Well said AT.

But your opinios are invalid because of your horrendous animal cruelty record.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 16, 2012 10:51 am

boltonboris wrote:Well said AT.

But your opinios are invalid because of your horrendous animal cruelty record.
I told you. The cat insisted on eating the rogan josh and asked for more. I warned him about the consequences and he was man enough to choose more :mrgreen:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 16, 2012 10:52 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I find this whole Ream left to his own devices, had to eat Nandos for a month thing rather strange. Whilst I'm sure the club could do more, aren't people prone to exaggeration? Are you telling me that his new team mates didn't make any effort whatsoever with him? I find it hard to believe they did not and I'm sure even some of the wives would have made sure he was ok, even if via their hubbies.

I'm sat here in a hotel room at the start of a new life abroad and have been for the last 3 weeks. I don't have work at the moment, so what I do is I get out and about most days and explore. I've been house hunting, checking out electrical stores for white goods for the new villa and generally sussing out how things work out here. I even managed to get out fishing one day. I'll admit that I'm a little bored at times, but I've occupied myself, found plenty of food options and am looking forward to getting on with things in the new villa next week.

Here is a guy that has moved to a new country, with the same langage and not a so radically different culture. He is embarking on what must be an amazing adventure, earning money most folk can only dream about. Ok, it might be a bit tough at times and the timing might have been a bit off. But he is a grown man and should be able to cope and make basic food choices and fend for himself. Unless he is a complete arsehole his team mates will have been there for him.

There is plenty to point the finger at Coyle and his cronies, but going after him for this is plain ridiculous. If I can manage in an environment much more different to home than USA to UK then I don't see why I should expect Ream to only cope if he is having his arse wiped for him.

Glad to hear you're settling in okay. How is Wales?

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Wed May 16, 2012 10:54 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I find this whole Ream left to his own devices, had to eat Nandos for a month thing rather strange. Whilst I'm sure the club could do more, aren't people prone to exaggeration? Are you telling me that his new team mates didn't make any effort whatsoever with him? I find it hard to believe they did not and I'm sure even some of the wives would have made sure he was ok, even if via their hubbies.

:lol:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 16, 2012 10:55 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
:lol:

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Wed May 16, 2012 10:57 am

I suspect his misery had more to do with being separated from his brand new wife than being forced to eat Nandos and sleep in a probably-quite-depressing-but-not-exactly-shabby hotel. Which isn't something the club could do much about.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed May 16, 2012 10:59 am

Especially if she was a devout christian with a no-sex-before-marriage policy...he might have been waiting years to get his end away...maybe chicken was the next best thing?
(Gary?)

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed May 16, 2012 11:02 am

Nah...Warmed up raw liver is the next best thing.

Err, or so I've been told....
Businesswoman of the year.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 16, 2012 11:05 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
:lol: Surprising lack of sheep GtE!

All going well. Should get the keys to the villa on Friday, so can start to settle properly. Thought I'd get longer to adjust to the heat, but apart from a few days it is in the 40s already. Humidity still to hit properly I'm told. Will be able to apply for the alcohol license next week - so all will be good :mrgreen: