Coyle on next season....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Coyle on next season....

Post by Mar » Fri May 25, 2012 8:55 am

Has anyone mentioned the likes of Danny Ward (didn't quite get through to first team but definitely a product that gave profit) and Chris Basham.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 25, 2012 8:59 am

The point being that at no stage have we had an academy production line. Picking up players from other academies or ones who have been released doesn't count in my book as having an academy churning out players.

Riley and Vela have been with our academy from age 11 or whatever, and come right through. They COULD be the first signs of some sort of a production line of young talent. Time will tell.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri May 25, 2012 9:03 am

I think the 'picking up players from other academies' only came in as a sign of changing times where we needed x amount of players from your own academy and I think that this was the easiest way of picking up a good crop of talent that qualifies.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri May 25, 2012 9:13 am

Mar wrote:Has anyone mentioned the likes of Danny Ward (didn't quite get through to first team but definitely a product that gave profit) and Chris Basham.
Am I not right in saying that Ward was something to do with Leeds at some point in his life, and therefore should be completely discounted on our very srict criteria?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri May 25, 2012 9:44 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
Mar wrote:Has anyone mentioned the likes of Danny Ward (didn't quite get through to first team but definitely a product that gave profit) and Chris Basham.
Am I not right in saying that Ward was something to do with Leeds at some point in his life, and therefore should be completely discounted on our very srict criteria?
Thats right. He was playing with us from the age of 15 so he has been in the academy however not all the way through.

Chances are we're not likely to get many going all the way through our academy as clubs like Man Utd are likely to pluck them if they show any discernible talent ala Kyle Bartley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Bartley) who incidentally got plucked by Arsenal.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri May 25, 2012 10:37 am

We definitely should be pinching kids from smaller clubs academies where we can... Dog eat dog.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri May 25, 2012 10:40 am

We did with Mark Connolly, didn't we?
Pfffft.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Not sure on Connelly, think he was 'youth'. Ward came to our academy from Leeds, Nolan from Liverpool, fecking Temitope from Coventry. Kids train and play with different academies lots. Bit over the top to insist they have to have been there since they were born, from 3 generations of Bolton fans and conceived in a BL postcode, at 3pm on a Saturday. Enough for the sake of this argument, IMO, that we got them when you didn't know if they'd be good or not (no Pratley jokes, please), and then brought them through.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Fri May 25, 2012 7:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:The point being that at no stage have we had an academy production line. Picking up players from other academies or ones who have been released doesn't count in my book as having an academy churning out players.
You could say the same for all the much-vaunted 'production lines' at clubs noted for churning out youth talent. Do you need them born within spitting distance of the elephant statues before we can count them as our own?

Nolan joined the Academy at 16 and graduated to the first team. That makes him a product of the BWFC academy. I'm not sure who else turned him into a Premier League footballer. The Liverpool Schoolboys team? His PE teacher? Or maybe his first kickaround with dad in the back garden?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri May 25, 2012 10:02 pm

50sQuiff wrote: Nolan joined the Academy at 16 and graduated to the first team. That makes him a product of the BWFC academy. I'm not sure who else turned him into a Premier League footballer. The Liverpool Schoolboys team? His PE teacher? Or maybe his first kickaround with dad in the back garden?
Jimmy Saville.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 25, 2012 10:32 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
50sQuiff wrote: Nolan joined the Academy at 16 and graduated to the first team. That makes him a product of the BWFC academy. I'm not sure who else turned him into a Premier League footballer. The Liverpool Schoolboys team? His PE teacher? Or maybe his first kickaround with dad in the back garden?
Jimmy Saville.
:lol:

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Fri May 25, 2012 10:58 pm

thebish wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:
Jimmy Saville.
:lol:
:roll:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri May 25, 2012 11:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:Not sure on Connelly, think he was 'youth'.
We paid £1m for him drom Wolves youth set up, when HWSBN had a youth team coach who came to us from there. We got Mavis much the same way, though a tad more 'established'.

Wolves were extremely pissed about it.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 26, 2012 12:27 am

Aye, I remember that bit. That sort of sum has been paid for academy kids, but he was older I think, wasn't he?

Good old Wolves.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 am

Mar wrote: Chances are we're not likely to get many going all the way through our academy as clubs like Man Utd are likely to pluck them if they show any discernible talent ala Kyle Bartley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Bartley) who incidentally got plucked by Arsenal.

:eh:

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Looks like Danny Wards going to be playing against us next season then


hi there, i'm craig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by hi there, i'm craig » Sun May 27, 2012 7:14 pm

boltonboris wrote:We had Hunt from 14/15. We had Nolan from 16 (he even won academy player of the year). O'Brien was with us when he was 15.

We produced those players through our Academy.
My wife cousin has just won academy player of the year went to see him play and there are some very promising players there, alough there is a long was to go to see if a few or any make it to the first team on a consistent basis.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Mar wrote:Has anyone mentioned the likes of Danny Ward (didn't quite get through to first team
Didn't Megson pick him to prove a pissy point?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue May 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Yes, to prove he hadn't got any money to spend. Just after signing Zat Knight, Sam Ricketts, LCY and Sean Davies. Amongst others ISTR.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:33 pm

to be fair to megson he did sign cahill c.y lee and mark davies but i think knight is the worst player ever to play for us. personally wouldnt mind giving ward a few games next season at least
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.