Coyle on next season....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Coyle on next season....

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed May 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Nolan, O'Brien, Vaz Te, Hunt . . . compared to the handful of games that Basham or Ward or Riley or Vela have played I'd say Allardyce's record looks much better.

It's probably because he kept a small first team instead of buying two £2-4 million players for each position.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 23, 2012 9:08 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Trouble is what Okocha says is pretty much true. That if you don't invest in the now and the future you're going to struggle. Interestingly the time when we should have made such a future investment was when Allardyce was here and we were comfortable in the top ten year after year. Allardyce however, wasn't interested in academies and youth teams, and I've heard that from some of the youngsters with the club at that time.
Allardyce brought more academy players into the team than Megson and Coyle combined.

ITK.

Fact.
I don't believe he brought any academy players into the first team. But anyhow....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 23, 2012 9:13 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Nolan, O'Brien, Vaz Te, Hunt . . . compared to the handful of games that Basham or Ward or Riley or Vela have played I'd say Allardyce's record looks much better.

It's probably because he kept a small first team instead of buying two £2-4 million players for each position.
Nolan was signed by Todd, Joey O Brien was plucked from an Irish youth side, Vaz Te was part of some Portuguese youth team, Hunt I believe was part of the Man Utd youth setup but was released and we picked him up.

None of them were home grown and certainly not academy products.

Vela and Riley have been with the club since they were 14. They are I believe the first academy players we've brought through fully to the first team for a long time.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed May 23, 2012 9:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Trouble is what Okocha says is pretty much true. That if you don't invest in the now and the future you're going to struggle. Interestingly the time when we should have made such a future investment was when Allardyce was here and we were comfortable in the top ten year after year. Allardyce however, wasn't interested in academies and youth teams, and I've heard that from some of the youngsters with the club at that time.
Allardyce brought more academy players into the team than Megson and Coyle combined.

ITK.

Fact.
I don't believe he brought any academy players into the first team. But anyhow....
Aye
Pfffft.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:They stopped building the Fat Kitman deveolpment when Coyle caused the funding to dry up.

It's full of tramps now.
have no problem with criticism
Wellll after a statement like that!!!! you may find you will :mrgreen:

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed May 23, 2012 9:35 pm

:lol:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed May 23, 2012 11:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Nolan was signed by Todd, Joey O Brien was plucked from an Irish youth side, Vaz Te was part of some Portuguese youth team, Hunt I believe was part of the Man Utd youth setup but was released and we picked him up.

Vela and Riley have been with the club since they were 14. They are I believe the first academy players we've brought through fully to the first team for a long time.
I think we're splitting hairs over who counts as an "academy player" or "home grown." I think the larger point can be summed up by the fact that when Allardyce needed a right back he played Hunt or O'Brien, whereas Megson bought Steinsson and Ricketts and Coyle bought Mears and loaned in Boyata.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 24, 2012 12:16 am

Right back has always begged the question from me: Have we really come that far from Nicky Hunt?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Nolan was signed by Todd, Joey O Brien was plucked from an Irish youth side, Vaz Te was part of some Portuguese youth team, Hunt I believe was part of the Man Utd youth setup but was released and we picked him up.

I think we're splitting hairs over who counts as an "academy player" or "home grown." I think the larger point can be summed up by the fact that when Allardyce needed a right back he played Hunt or O'Brien, whereas Megson bought Steinsson and Ricketts and Coyle bought Mears and loaned in Boyata.
Call me old fashioned but for me an academy player is ermmm, one that has at least been a part of your academy.......

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 24, 2012 8:59 am

HP is making a reasonable point, you're just splitting hairs.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 24, 2012 9:13 am

Lord Kangana wrote:HP is making a reasonable point, you're just splitting hairs.
He's making an incorrect point. We weren't producing our own players. Thats the bottom line.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 24, 2012 9:16 am

We had Hunt from 14/15. We had Nolan from 16 (he even won academy player of the year). O'Brien was with us when he was 15.

We produced those players through our Academy.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 24, 2012 10:12 am

boltonboris wrote:We had Hunt from 14/15. We had Nolan from 16 (he even won academy player of the year). O'Brien was with us when he was 15.

that's a bit of a clincher!! :wink:

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu May 24, 2012 3:30 pm

thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:We had Hunt from 14/15. We had Nolan from 16 (he even won academy player of the year). O'Brien was with us when he was 15.

that's a bit of a clincher!! :wink:
Sounds like they are academy players to me.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu May 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Allardyces had a hell of a lot longer to manage to bring all those in though... 8 years against the rest.
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 24, 2012 4:17 pm

That wasn't the point...
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu May 24, 2012 8:22 pm

So what is? :)
Pfffft.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu May 24, 2012 8:57 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:Allardyces had a hell of a lot longer to manage to bring all those in though... 8 years against the rest.
He had only been in the job a few years when he put Nicky Hunt into the team. And it’s not like Nicky Hunt was some genius prospect. It’s just that when you learn playing next to Bruno N’Gotty and Gudni Bergsson, you just might turn out OK. Allardyce kept a small squad and plugged holes with whatever he had available. Megson and Coyle didn’t really blood the kids because they were constantly struggling to keep their head above water. They rely on journeymen like Paul Robinson and Darren Pratley because they didn’t have a point cushion that allowed them to take risks on kids.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Off the top of my head Nolan and Dean Holden and a few other kids all made their debuts (or full debuts) in a dead-rubber last game of the season (against I think Sheff Utd)when we had already qualified for the play-offs, in what must have been Sam's first season in charge, because I'm sure Nolan started the play-off final.

Whether or not he gets credit for 'bringing them through' is a different question, but it didn't take him 8 years to throw kids in. Holden got games the year after until he broke his leg, Nolan and later Hunt became regulars, O'Brien and Vaz Te were more than bit part players. And who could forget ex-postie Jeff Smith!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:02 am

Tom Eaves could do well in the championship

Scored some great goals in the reserves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD9q_5xMP3M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
