It's not just us "muppets" Fat Phil...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Re: It's not just us "muppets" Fat Phil...

Post by Tombwfc » Mon May 28, 2012 9:02 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:I have to disagree. Everyone except Owen Coyle and his staff could tell that the tactics last season were not optimal. Gartside should have told him to start getting results or he'd be out of a job. That's not buying players or picking the team, it's just what any employer should do with a failing employee. We're in the Championship in large part because Coyle knew there was nothing he could do that would get him sacked.
No we're not, we're in the Championship because Coyle's hopelessly misguided and/or just a bit shit, not because he was complacent. What you saw over the season was Owen Coyle's (at the end of the day, a qualified football manager) honest-to-god opinion of how best to win football matches. Gartside can either go along with him, or he can sack him. There's not much in between.

If you think that's what he should've done, that's fine, but Big Phil putting his tracksuit on and getting down the training ground and trying to coach set-pieces wouldn't have helped anyone.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 28, 2012 11:06 pm

Oh I dunno...who is the dickhead that coaches set peices then? I reckon sooty and swep wuldn't of done any worse...

Serious point - investing in better coaches would be a massive step forward. we could have a set of players capable of doing well but IMO the coaching set up holds them back. Get Coyle some help.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon May 28, 2012 11:38 pm

I know you're not one of them, but some people I've seen suggest bringing in 'help' make me wonder if they just love the idea of Owen being our manager so much they'd be happy for him to be a £1mil-a-year cheerleader while people who know what they're doing actually do the work.

I don't think there's any real way of assessing what the coaches do really. When it comes to judging them, I can only really take them and Coyle as a team.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 28, 2012 11:39 pm

Sammy Lee? Great coach, bad manager
Pfffft.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue May 29, 2012 11:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Ah.. Because you described Allardyce there, too.
Of course. But whatever Big Sam does is West Ham's problem now.
When Gartside took over we were 6th bottom in the championship, weeks away from administration.

We are now backed by an owner with very little bank debt, own the facilities have grown the fan base and spent longer in the top flight than at any other point in the preceding 50 years.

I don't see how under any circumstances you can say what he's done overall has been anything other than superb? At the time he took over 2 consecutive premiership years was a pipe dream.
So you think he's doing a good job then?

Can I just ask, do you know him personally?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
When Gartside took over we were 6th bottom in the championship, weeks away from administration.

We are now backed by an owner with very little bank debt, own the facilities have grown the fan base and spent longer in the top flight than at any other point in the preceding 50 years.

I don't see how under any circumstances you can say what he's done overall has been anything other than superb? At the time he took over 2 consecutive premiership years was a pipe dream.

I think over the time-period, he's done a great job (always bearing in mind Eddie could call his debt in).

I don't know him personally. :-)

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue May 29, 2012 12:51 pm

I agree with Worthy.

:vomit:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:

No I don't know him personally. I've met him a couple of times, and spoken on the phone to him once.

I think he's doing a good job. I'm not sure what more you could expect anyone else in his role to do?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue May 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Sack Coyle?

But generally, I reckon he gets 8/10 for the job he's done
Sto ut Serviam

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:I agree with Worthy.

Looks like you're 80% in agreement with CAPS too!

We knew you couldn't be as daft as some of your posts. :grin:

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue May 29, 2012 3:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think he's doing a good job. I'm not sure what more you could expect anyone else in his role to do?
Set higher goals. It was pretty clear that Coyle was going to keep his job even if we got relegated. I think if Coyle had an incentive to change what he was doing we would have survived.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 29, 2012 3:40 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I think he's doing a good job. I'm not sure what more you could expect anyone else in his role to do?
Set higher goals. It was pretty clear that Coyle was going to keep his job even if we got relegated. I think if Coyle had an incentive to change what he was doing we would have survived.
You really think that if Coyle was told "if you take us down you're sacked" he'd have kept us up?? Really???

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:I agree with Worthy.

Looks like you're 80% in agreement with CAPS too!

We knew you couldn't be as daft as some of your posts. :grin:
:shock:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue May 29, 2012 4:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:
You really think that if Coyle was told "if you take us down you're sacked" he'd have kept us up?? Really???
I think that if he feared for his job he might have at least tried something different. Maybe played a more defensive 4-5-1 against the big clubs at least some of the time. Maybe he'd have spent a little more time on defense in training. Maybe he would have adjusted his half-time talks so they were no longer kryptonite.

Or maybe he's just an incurable retard. Who knows really.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm not sure what the suggestion is there HP? If you are suggesting he would have tried 'harder' if he'd been threatened with the sack, I think that's crazy. No-one has suggested he wasn't doing what he thought was best, it's just he wasn't very good at deciding what was best.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:11 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:
I think that if he feared for his job he might have at least tried something different. Maybe played a more defensive 4-5-1 against the big clubs at least some of the time. Maybe he'd have spent a little more time on defense in training. Maybe he would have adjusted his half-time talks so they were no longer kryptonite.

Or maybe he's just an incurable retard. Who knows really.[/quote

i think he wouldnt of kept us up as his contract runs out in july and gartside didnt speack on the matter untill we got relegated
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm

only the last line is my post the rest is meant to be the quotes
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue May 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:I'm not sure what the suggestion is there HP? If you are suggesting he would have tried 'harder' if he'd been threatened with the sack, I think that's crazy. No-one has suggested he wasn't doing what he thought was best, it's just he wasn't very good at deciding what was best.
Coyle obviously spent little time thinking about what formation and what team selection would best fit a specific opponent. Based on what we heard from the players and the results on the pitch it doesn’t seem like he was putting in maximum effort in the training sessions either. It’s hard for me to believe that Coyle is so dumb that he looked at the Manchester United fixture in September and thought the best way to get a result was 4-4-2 with Mark Davies in the middle, after a week of daily 5-a-side. It just seems more likely to me that the incentives weren’t there for him to put in the effort required to prepare adequately.

But I could be wrong. Perhaps he really is that stupid and the only solution is to fire him.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:53 pm

contract out in july i think sao we dont need to sack him

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue May 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Nixon says he's on a rolling contract. Same deal as Megson I think.