It's not just us "muppets" Fat Phil...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: It's not just us "muppets" Fat Phil...

Post by thebish » Fri May 25, 2012 7:59 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
thebish wrote:hmmm... but by that standard you'd have to conclude that every chairman of a club that gets relegated is incompetent - either because they stuck with a manager who wasn't up to the job - OR because they sacked the manager and brought in someone who wasn't up to the job....
Not exactly . . . as I mentioned both Blackburn and Bolton had been in the league for more than 10 years. Both were top 10 not that long ago. A team like Derby comes up, doesn't have the talent or the money to stay up, OK I get it. But something has gone seriously wrong to bring down a team like Bolton or Blackburn.

hmmmm... who do you think we are???? that kind of talk will scare the punters into thinking there's a West Ham fan in our midst!! :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 25, 2012 8:55 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
thebish wrote:hmmm... but by that standard you'd have to conclude that every chairman of a club that gets relegated is incompetent - either because they stuck with a manager who wasn't up to the job - OR because they sacked the manager and brought in someone who wasn't up to the job....
Not exactly . . . as I mentioned both Blackburn and Bolton had been in the league for more than 10 years. Both were top 10 not that long ago. A team like Derby comes up, doesn't have the talent or the money to stay up, OK I get it. But something has gone seriously wrong to bring down a team like Bolton or Blackburn.
You're not taking it in context though. Derby are a similar sized, similar type, and similarly resourced club to ourselves.

When Gartside took over as chairman we were 6th bottom in the championship having spent 2 seasons in the top flight in the last 20 years (on both occasions we'd been relegated immediately). And just over 10 years before had been playing our football in what then was called division 4 and is now referred to as league 2. We had at the time Gartside came in, debts to banks over £40M. As a championship club. We were having to sell players simply to pay the interest on the loans and the manager walked out over this. We didn't own the ground or facilities fully. Simply we were weeks away from going into administration and given the time, nobody knew what that would have meant (there wasn't a precedent back then).

Frankly at the time we had more chance of receeding back to the bottom division than we did of achieving what we did. Gartside brought in Alan Duckworth to sort the finances out. He brought in Sam to work on a much smaller budget that we were previously. We lost in the play off semi finals that year. Then basically half the team was sold to balance the books. The year after we got promotion. Then stayed in the top division back to back for the first time in 20 odd years......

At which point Gartside brought Eddie Davies in to invest in the club, to a greater extent than anyone ever had in the past.

We now owe £10M to banks and have had more than £100M invested from Eddie Davies. We've had our longest spell in the top flight in over half a century, qualified for Europe twice and achieved over a consistent period far more than the history of our club, and clubs of similar sizes would suggest possible. We own the ground, the academy, and some land around the middlebrook. We have seen some fantastic players and have been on an incredible journey.

Do I think we should have gone down this season? No. But we WERE going to go down one season, whether it be the next one, the one after, one in 5 years time.....it was inevitable. Clubs of our size and much bigger will. The top flight has not had very many consistent clubs and those it has are far more resourced than we are.

This season has been a failure. Does it mean that Gartside (who lets remember is chairman, not owner, nor manager) is incompetent and overall has failed?

Absolutely not. The history of this club shows he's been a massive success overall.

I guarantee that we'll miss him (even the ones who make hilariously funny jokes around his name) when he packs it in.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 25, 2012 8:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:
You're not taking it in context though. Derby are a similar sized, similar type, and similarly resourced club to ourselves.

When Gartside took over as chairman we were 6th bottom in the championship having spent 2 seasons in the top flight in the last 20 years (on both occasions we'd been relegated immediately). And just over 10 years before had been playing our football in what then was called division 4 and is now referred to as league 2. We had at the time Gartside came in, debts to banks over £40M. As a championship club. We were having to sell players simply to pay the interest on the loans and the manager walked out over this. We didn't own the ground or facilities fully. Simply we were weeks away from going into administration and given the time, nobody knew what that would have meant (there wasn't a precedent back then).

Frankly at the time we had more chance of receeding back to the bottom division than we did of achieving what we did. Gartside brought in Alan Duckworth to sort the finances out. He brought in Sam to work on a much smaller budget that we were previously. We lost in the play off semi finals that year. Then basically half the team was sold to balance the books. The year after we got promotion. Then stayed in the top division back to back for the first time in 20 odd years......

At which point Gartside brought Eddie Davies in to invest in the club, to a greater extent than anyone ever had in the past.

We now owe £10M to banks and have had more than £100M invested from Eddie Davies. We've had our longest spell in the top flight in over half a century, qualified for Europe twice and achieved over a consistent period far more than the history of our club, and clubs of similar sizes would suggest possible. We own the ground, the academy, and some land around the middlebrook. We have seen some fantastic players and have been on an incredible journey.

Do I think we should have gone down this season? No. But we WERE going to go down one season, whether it be the next one, the one after, one in 5 years time.....it was inevitable. Clubs of our size and much bigger will. The top flight has not had very many consistent clubs and those it has are far more resourced than we are.

This season has been a failure. Does it mean that Gartside (who lets remember is chairman, not owner, nor manager) is incompetent and overall has failed?

Absolutely not. The history of this club shows he's been a massive success overall.

I guarantee that we'll miss him (even the ones who make hilariously funny jokes around his name) when he packs it in.

Erm, this. With nobs on.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri May 25, 2012 9:01 am

Yeh but Jay-Jay's still pissed off.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 25, 2012 9:03 am

BWFCI :pray: :pray:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri May 25, 2012 10:48 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:

Erm, this. With nobs on.
and bells
Pfffft.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri May 25, 2012 10:52 am

and dangly bits.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri May 25, 2012 12:10 pm

and a side order of onion rings
Pfffft.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Fri May 25, 2012 12:14 pm

TKIZ! wrote:and a side order of onion rings

And a blowjob in the alley behind Burger King.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri May 25, 2012 12:21 pm

:)
Pfffft.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Fri May 25, 2012 1:04 pm

And whistles. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Fri May 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Sponge wrote:

Ah! You still doing that, Sponge? :lol:
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri May 25, 2012 1:13 pm

He cant answer you, he's got his mouth full...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri May 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Shouldn't talk with your mouth full, eh Sponge?
Pfffft.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Fri May 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Gravedigger wrote:
Sponge wrote:

Ah! You still doing that, Sponge? :lol:

You know my price.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri May 25, 2012 1:26 pm

BAZINGA!
Pfffft.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 25, 2012 1:59 pm

Sponge wrote:

hmmm... where to hang those onion rings...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri May 25, 2012 2:03 pm

thebish wrote:
Sponge wrote:

hmmm... where to hang those onion rings...
We'll let you guess, Bish :lol:
Pfffft.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri May 25, 2012 6:29 pm

BWFCI, I appreciate what Gartside did for the club in the past but all of that was a decade ago. Since then it’s just been cock-up after cock-up. Carling Cup Final, fax in pocket, Sam’s departure, good things in small packages, Heider Helgusson, people who know football, Johan Elmander, two closed Premier Leagues, Owen Coyle, 4-4-2, Marvin Sordell, and now relegation.

If you don’t want to label him incompetent due to the fact that he was apparently competent 10 years ago, I could understand that. Maybe he’s gone senile?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Anyone who thinks he is incompetent does not know what they are talking about.

That doesn't mean he hasn't made mistakes.

Essentially, what BWFCi says is spot on. Of course in that time there has been individual fiascos such as the Carling Cup final situation, plenty of foot in mouth doh moments (faxes in pockets, won't miss Allardyce coz Sammy Lee is ace, people who know football) and, my personal biggest criticism, the way contracts have been handled with the 'buy young sell big' policy. Still, overall, the positives overwhelm the negatives. From out of business to Europe and 10 years in the top flight. Not bad.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.