It's not just us "muppets" Fat Phil...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: It's not just us "muppets" Fat Phil...

Post by TKIZ! » Fri May 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:Anyone who thinks he is incompetent does not know what they are talking about.

That doesn't mean he hasn't made mistakes.

Essentially, what BWFCi says is spot on. Of course in that time there has been individual fiascos such as the Carling Cup final situation, plenty of foot in mouth doh moments (faxes in pockets, won't miss Allardyce coz Sammy Lee is ace, people who know football) and, my personal biggest criticism, the way contracts have been handled with the 'buy young sell big' policy. Still, overall, the positives overwhelm the negatives. From out of business to Europe and 10 years in the top flight. Not bad.
Totally 100% agree
Pfffft.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 25, 2012 7:00 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:BWFCI, I appreciate what Gartside did for the club in the past but all of that was a decade ago. Since then it’s just been cock-up after cock-up. Carling Cup Final, fax in pocket, Sam’s departure, good things in small packages, Heider Helgusson, people who know football, Johan Elmander, two closed Premier Leagues, Owen Coyle, 4-4-2, Marvin Sordell, and now relegation.

If you don’t want to label him incompetent due to the fact that he was apparently competent 10 years ago, I could understand that. Maybe he’s gone senile?
Apart from that being mildly offensive it's also not accurate.

His role is of chairman. To do what the owner wants, or work to his objectives within set controls, and to assist/guide the manager within that framework.

Gartside has a budget given to him from Eddie, passes it down to the manager and then other than that Gartside negotiates deals on the managers behalf.

It's not for him to tell the manager who to buy, whethere they're worth the money or the wages or whatever. That's the managers judgement.

We've had longer in the top flight than the club managed for 50 years. Every year we stayed up was a success. That's not 10 years ago.

I don't see many chairman in the premiership doing jobs that make me wish they were ours. Phil is a fan, if you talk to him you can see how much he cares. Mistakes happen. The big picture tells he's massively overachieved given the situation he inherited.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri May 25, 2012 7:25 pm

This situation was just so avoidable. And I’m not even talking about big decisions like hiring Megson and Coyle or overpaying for Elmander or spending our January funds on a player who didn’t even get 90 minutes for the rest of the season. Would it have killed Gartside to suggest to Coyle that he spend some time figuring out how to defend set pieces?

Maybe I just don’t understand what a chairman does. Maybe they are supposed to let managers spend other people’s money, exercise zero oversight, and get paid £500,000 a year for it.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 25, 2012 7:35 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:This situation was just so avoidable. And I’m not even talking about big decisions like hiring Megson and Coyle or overpaying for Elmander or spending our January funds on a player who didn’t even get 90 minutes for the rest of the season. Would it have killed Gartside to suggest to Coyle that he spend some time figuring out how to defend set pieces?

Maybe I just don’t understand what a chairman does. Maybe they are supposed to let managers spend other people’s money, exercise zero oversight, and get paid £500,000 a year for it.

spot on!! 8)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 25, 2012 7:44 pm

As a clue, if you think of a 'job' and think the manager ought to be doing that, then it ain't the chairman's job!

If the manager is so poor at performing his role overall, it would generally be the chairman's job to get rid (though in our scenario obviously Eddie would have a massive, and probably decisive say). I think Coyle should have gone in November. I think he got that wrong. I can see why he didn't though. Doesn't make him incompetent or senile.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat May 26, 2012 12:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:BWFCI, I appreciate what Gartside did for the club in the past but all of that was a decade ago. Since then it’s just been cock-up after cock-up. Carling Cup Final, fax in pocket, Sam’s departure, good things in small packages, Heider Helgusson, people who know football, Johan Elmander, two closed Premier Leagues, Owen Coyle, 4-4-2, Marvin Sordell, and now relegation.

If you don’t want to label him incompetent due to the fact that he was apparently competent 10 years ago, I could understand that. Maybe he’s gone senile?
Apart from that being mildly offensive it's also not accurate.

His role is of chairman. To do what the owner wants, or work to his objectives within set controls, and to assist/guide the manager within that framework.

Gartside has a budget given to him from Eddie, passes it down to the manager and then other than that Gartside negotiates deals on the managers behalf.

It's not for him to tell the manager who to buy, whethere they're worth the money or the wages or whatever. That's the managers judgement.

We've had longer in the top flight than the club managed for 50 years. Every year we stayed up was a success. That's not 10 years ago.

I don't see many chairman in the premiership doing jobs that make me wish they were ours. Phil is a fan, if you talk to him you can see how much he cares. Mistakes happen. The big picture tells he's massively overachieved given the situation he inherited.
What me to re-hash it so its possitfly offencive?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:35 am

moar spelling mistakes won't help.

:/

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon May 28, 2012 1:09 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:This situation was just so avoidable. And I’m not even talking about big decisions like hiring Megson and Coyle or overpaying for Elmander or spending our January funds on a player who didn’t even get 90 minutes for the rest of the season. Would it have killed Gartside to suggest to Coyle that he spend some time figuring out how to defend set pieces?

I agree.

Everyone seems to be just saying "Ah, well. We were due to go down sometime... He did get us into europe..."

People seem to forget he looks on us like a bunch of know-nothing tossers.

Then again, if I'd not spent a bloody fortune following BWFC over the years just to see it go all in the shit-pan and watched every game via a free, dodgy stream online, I may have a different opinion.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:11 pm

i think he secretly likes that the fans wanted coyle and he has laughs over it with megson over a few drinks.

coyle's like a built in get out of jail free clause.

so,

owen out

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Andy Waller wrote:

I agree.

Everyone seems to be just saying "Ah, well. We were due to go down sometime... He did get us into europe..."

Then again, if I'd not spent a bloody fortune following BWFC over the years just to see it go all in the shit-pan and watched every game via a free, dodgy stream online, I may have a different opinion.

Biggest load of bollocks I've seen in a long time. If this were true why does he spend his time calling people back, texting them and e-mailing them. He is one of the most approachable Chairman I have heard of. This is also not just my personal experience but that of a number of people I know.

Phil Gartside may not be everyone's cup of tea but snobby and superior he isn't.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon May 28, 2012 2:22 pm

Spot on, Snakey.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Then again, if I'd not spent a bloody fortune following BWFC over the years just to see it go all in the shit-pan

can you spell this one out for me - cos I really don't get it.

did you not enjoy all those years of support? have you had great times? has it been a big life-changing part of your life and a place where you have met people and cemented lifelong friendships??

if any of that is true - can you explain how it has gone down the shit pan?

have you lost those memories now? have your friends deserted you? :conf:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Biggest load of bollocks I've seen in a long time. If this were true why does he spend his time calling people back, texting them and e-mailing them. He is one of the most approachable Chairman I have heard of. This is also not just my personal experience but that of a number of people I know.

you really mean BWFCi - don't you? :wink:

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 28, 2012 2:50 pm

BWFCi: 'you hang up'
Phil G: 'no you hang up'
BWFCi: 'nooo i hung up first last time'
Phil G: 'noooo you didn't, you hang up'

:)

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon May 28, 2012 3:02 pm

thebish wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
Then again, if I'd not spent a bloody fortune following BWFC over the years just to see it go all in the shit-pan

can you spell this one out for me - cos I really don't get it.

did you not enjoy all those years of support? have you had great times? has it been a big life-changing part of your life and a place where you have met people and cemented lifelong friendships??

if any of that is true - can you explain how it has gone down the shit pan?

have you lost those memories now? have your friends deserted you? :conf:
So you think the club, having been in a position of strength, is on the slide?

I've had great memories all my life of the Wanderers, even when we were crap but I think after all that hard work, it's being left to drift away.

We were awful last season, but no-one seemed overly bothered at the club. When confronted about it Gartside just shrugged it off, saying the fans knew nothing.

Like I said, I've had great times with BWFC, I just wouldn't mind having a few more.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon May 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:

I agree.

Phil Gartside may not be everyone's cup of tea but snobby and superior he isn't.

So why has he said a couple of times that the fans are "muppets" or to "leave it to people who know football"?

I'm not saying he's a bad fella, I think he's bright enough to know to put up a front sometimes to the plebs.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:

I agree.

So why has he said a couple of times that the fans are "muppets" or to "leave it to people who know football"?
I'm not saying he's a bad fella, I think he's bright enough to know to put up a front sometimes to the plebs.

If you can produce those quotes verbatim I will accept what you say. But I suspect you can't.

The quote about leaving it to people who know football..... was that on Megson's appointment when he said (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'people who know football will know why we've made this appointment'?

If so, it's a slightly different context than saying 'you're all a bunch of know nowt tossers'

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 28, 2012 3:21 pm

I think he has on occassion said words to the effect of "most Bolton fans are reasonable...some are idiots/muppets who don't get the full situation". Which is probably ill advised. However, considering he's had details of his home address posted on other BWFC forum/s and had his house broken into as a result, I think he probably is allowed to describe some fans as muppets.

And given the abuse he and his family at times have received, for what? Doing his job? He works long hours on BWFC, whether you care to believe that or not he does.

I guarantee that I couldn't do anywhere near as good a job as he does. Still means I can criticise his decisions, but certainly would never say he's "incompetent" or that he doesn't care about the club or its fans. That really is not true.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon May 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:

I agree.

If you can produce those quotes verbatim I will accept what you say. But I suspect you can't.

The quote about leaving it to people who know football..... was that on Megson's appointment when he said (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'people who know football will know why we've made this appointment'?

If so, it's a slightly different context than saying 'you're all a bunch of know nowt tossers'
He called the supporters who ring up the radio "muppets" (I think it was on GMR) and wasn't the "people who know football" quote a response to supporters asking why we had employed Megson? (I'm sorry I can't prove these quotes but I'm sure haven't just made them up.)

Like I said, I don't think the guy is the anti-christ but I'm not assuming for one minute he values our opinion.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:[quote="Andy Waller]
I agree.

He called the supporters who ring up the radio "muppets" (I think it was on GMR) and wasn't the "people who know football" quote a response to supporters asking why we had employed Megson? (I'm sorry I can't prove these quotes but I'm sure haven't just made them up.)

Like I said, I don't think the guy is the anti-christ but I'm not assuming for one minute he values our opinion.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

But in all honesty how many of us are qualified to give a valid opinion on most of the issues surrounding the club? Unless we have a deep understanding of what is happening, then I'd say none of us are.

Its easy to say "we should have done this or that" but we're not in the full posession of the facts in any decision. In fact in most cases what we actually know and think turns out to be wrong.........