Farewell Jussi

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Farewell Jussi

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 30, 2012 11:20 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... Wanderers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's been a fantastic servant. In my eyes a legend given the number of appearances he's made for the club and the success he helped to bring.

One of my favourites simply because you never worried about him, Jussi wouldn't let you down.

I do genuinely think it was the right time for him to go all round. He can get some more game time, probably in the top flight rather than sitting on our bench in the championship. We need to look to the future and it was obvious that whatever deal we could offer based on him being a second string championship keeper was going to be well off what he'd want.

Wish him well in the future. Always be a Wanderer in my eyes.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Farewell Jussi

Post by P.O.S. » Wed May 30, 2012 11:28 am

Absolute all time legend. We'd have been out of the Premier League long, long before now if it wasn't for him.

Thanks for the memories Jussi. Plucking that Forlan header out of the top corner against Atletico - what a save!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed May 30, 2012 11:31 am

:( End of an Era. Be weird to see him playing for someone else. Shame, but probably the right move for all concerned.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 30, 2012 11:46 am

Beefheart wrote::( End of an Era. Be weird to see him playing for someone else. Shame, but probably the right move for all concerned.
My feelings exactly. Good luck, and all that, but he was dreadful this season. Thanks for the great memories though and for some truly unbelievable saves.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Wed May 30, 2012 11:48 am

Absolute bolton legend and will always be one, good luck to him. hope we see him back here in some role some day

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 30, 2012 11:50 am

I still think he was the best keeper we had on the books last season. Probably the right time to go, but I don't think Bogdan was significantly, or at all, better than him really. But age of course dictates.......

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:53 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
My feelings exactly. Good luck, and all that, but he was dreadful this season. Thanks for the great memories though and for some truly unbelievable saves.
thats a bit harsh,

he shouldve won his place back after chelsea at home, imo.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 30, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks for the service and memories, Jussi. As noted, the right time for all concerned, methinks.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed May 30, 2012 11:56 am

Hyvästi ja onnea, Jussi!

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed May 30, 2012 12:09 pm

A huge shame to see him go, especially at the same time as Ricardo - two servants that you rarely see from domestic players, never mind those from abroad.

That said, it will help us to get him off the wage bill although it seems a little strange that he's looking for first team Premier League football when realistically Bogdan is a better option for us? He still can't kick a ball properly either :)
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

hi there, i'm craig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by hi there, i'm craig » Wed May 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Deep down I thought he would stay, with his kids spending all there lives in Bolton, he obvialsy feels he has a few more years left in him yet, I'm gutted.

Legend leaves!

domino_sm
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by domino_sm » Wed May 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks for the many years service, I think he's done us proud, agree though that this is the right time to move on.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:19 pm

a1 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
thats a bit harsh,

Um. He did. Played for the next dozen games before Bogdan got back in.

Farewell, Jussi Jaaskelainen. It's going to be very weird next season, two players that have been ours since I started paying attention properly to BWFC no longer around.

I hope he finishes his career strongly, and then maybe comes back in some sort of coaching capacity. No hard feelings towards him at all.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 30, 2012 12:21 pm

Must be a later edition BN. Mine, this morning had a big pic of Jussi and the headline " It's deal or no deal" as a last negotiation topic. Sad to see him go but he has to do what he thinks best. He'll leave many good memories behind on a great career for the Whites. Good luck fella.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 30, 2012 12:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Must be a later edition BN. Mine, this morning had a big pic of Jussi and the headline " It's deal or no deal" as a last negotiation topic. Sad to see him go but he has to do what he thinks best. He'll leave many good memories behind on a great career for the Whites. Good luck fella.
Its just an online update. The print version will have been written yesterday. Clearly since then its been revealed he's off!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Some great, great memories of some great, great saves. At his peak, could probably have gone to a "bigger" Club but didn't. Ifangu.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed May 30, 2012 12:30 pm

Fantastic player for us. Can't speak too highly of him. Saw him on what I'm pretty sure was his debut for us in Jimmy Phillips testimonial -v- Celtic and immediately knew we had a find on our hands.

Sad to see both him and Ricardo to go.

Thanks for all the memories.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Wed May 30, 2012 12:30 pm

Jussi gone, Gardner gone. End of my childhood confirmed - if the thinning and slightly greying hair wasnt a sign of it already!

Barr Hill
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barr Hill » Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I still think he was the best keeper we had on the books last season. Probably the right time to go, but I don't think Bogdan was significantly, or at all, better than him really. But age of course dictates.......

and MONEY of course. Bogdan will be on lower money......

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Wed May 30, 2012 12:34 pm

a1 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
thats a bit harsh,

He did. Jussi played in 12 games after Bogdans mare against Chelsea, and although it pains me to say it, he looked less than comfortable. Bogdan on the other hand got a little fortunate with Jussi's injury but made the most of his opportunity and was arguably our best player for the second half of the season (although i'd still have to go with Petrov/Eagles). However it does help that Bogdan only had to suffer a back four that included pub leaguer Paul Robinson only the once (where he was torn a new one by Macclesfield!)

Jussi is a legend but was also becoming somewhat of a luxury player, i'm glad he's going out on what seems to be his (and the clubs) terms. As an aside if contractual circumstances had differed i'd have been much more upset at Bogdan walking away on a bosman than I am with Jussi.