Vela

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

JJ4bwfc92
Hopeful
Hopeful

Vela

Post by JJ4bwfc92 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Hey guys, here a lot of you mentioning Vela quite a lot, I won't lie apart from Riley I don't know much about some of the younger ones from our reserves due to not being able to watch them living in midlands etc would any of you mind giving me bit of insight to his strengths and what he brings/ would bring to the team given a long term first team role, as most of my information bout him would end up coming from footy manager and fifa :|

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Vela

Post by Salford Trotter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:19 pm

JJ4bwfc92 wrote:Hey guys, here a lot of you mentioning Vela quite a lot, I won't lie apart from Riley I don't know much about some of the younger ones from our reserves due to not being able to watch them living in midlands etc would any of you mind giving me bit of insight to his strengths and what he brings/ would bring to the team given a long term first team role, as most of my information bout him would end up coming from footy manager and fifa :|
You'll no doubt see him for yourself tonight, a decent prospect and well regarded at the club from what I hear. He's a readymade replacement for Mavies should he move on and very much from the same mould. He can be a bit petulant at times but if he can harness the passion then we may have a player on our books.
The Voice Of Reason

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Very quick with the tackle (a bit too quick for some fussy ref's) but quick, hard & a good prospect. Need to take a risk with him when we get the chance ... but he has to jump-in less first.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Hopefully do some growing soon, too. Watched him in the ressies last year against Fulham and he was tiny compared to everyone else. Has a bucketload of skill, though.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Verbal wrote:Hopefully do some growing soon, too. Watched him in the ressies last year against Fulham and he was tiny compared to everyone else. Has a bucketload of skill, though.
Considering the apparent size of his Dad that shouldn't be a problem.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Verbal wrote:Hopefully do some growing soon, too. Watched him in the ressies last year against Fulham and he was tiny compared to everyone else. Has a bucketload of skill, though.
Ahh. Watching the subs warm up at half-time on Friday, WtW and I were trying to work out who the one was that looks about 12.

Is that him?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:
JJ4bwfc92 wrote:Hey guys, here a lot of you mentioning Vela quite a lot, I won't lie apart from Riley I don't know much about some of the younger ones from our reserves due to not being able to watch them living in midlands etc would any of you mind giving me bit of insight to his strengths and what he brings/ would bring to the team given a long term first team role, as most of my information bout him would end up coming from footy manager and fifa :|
You'll no doubt see him for yourself tonight, a decent prospect and well regarded at the club from what I hear. He's a readymade replacement for Mavies should he move on and very much from the same mould. He can be a bit petulant at times but if he can harness the passion then we may have a player on our books.
Bobo wrote:Very quick with the tackle (a bit too quick for some fussy ref's) but quick, hard & a good prospect. Need to take a risk with him when we get the chance ... but he has to jump-in less first.
I'm confused. I've seen a bit of Vela, and thought he was more akin to the holding / tackling midfielder than the attacking, run with the ball at feet midfielder. Within a handful of comments responding to someone asking for info, we have him as a ready-made Mavies replacement, and a hard man who's quick in the tackle.

I can understand why we're confused, because for me, those two descriptions don't chime.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:56 pm

Owen'sEleven wrote:those two descriptions don't chime.
They do, however, chime with Exactly What We Need In Midfield, so it's a surprise he hasn't had the Coyle call.

Maybe young Josh has been spending his pocket money in charity shops and bought Sordell's discarded Cloak of Invisibility.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Ahh. Watching the subs warm up at half-time on Friday, WtW and I were trying to work out who the one was that looks about 12.

Is that him?
Quite possibly

To be fair he was still comfortably drifting past players nearly twice his size in that game last year, so i don't know maybe it's not that bad.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:05 pm

I don't see him as a Mavis. That said, I've only seen him 3 times. Each time watching through my fingers, waiting to see a red card.

He seems, to my eyes, more Peter Reid than Mavis .... not to say I have seen all his bag of tricks.

If he's both then all the better.

... & yes, he looks about 12.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Verbal wrote: Image
That's him. I've got football kit that's older than him. :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Hopefully we'll have a better view of him tonight and people can make their own minds up
The Voice Of Reason

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:57 pm

Athers wrote:
Considering the apparent size of his Dad that shouldn't be a problem.
Come on, no-one?

:hang:
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

steviewander
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by steviewander » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Messi was/is tiny!!

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:48 am

bobo the clown wrote:I don't see him as a Mavis. That said, I've only seen him 3 times. Each time watching through my fingers, waiting to see a red card.

He seems, to my eyes, more Peter Reid than Mavis .... not to say I have seen all his bag of tricks.

If he's both then all the better.

... & yes, he looks about 12.
Is that pre broken legs Peter Reid(kind of like Mavis but with stamina, tackling ability and presence ie a perfect all rounder) or post broken leg(twice wasnt it) when he went to everton and reinvented himself as the perfect ball winning passit simple foil forthe likes of Hoddle for England once captain fantastic had his wing clipped.

Might explain the confusion. Dont understand the Mavis comparison on the bit I saw. Only 20 minutes but he made a few tackles looked reasonable mobile/fit and released the ball quickly with intelligent accurate passes. No way on earth is he ready to play in a coyle team though.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:55 am

Sort of pre injury, as he's more mobile than slow Peter Reid. But his game will, eventually, pan out as one where winning the ball, and laying it off will be his forte ... & if he can keep some mobility as well, then good luck to him.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 am

bobo the clown wrote:Sort of pre injury, as he's more mobile than slow Peter Reid. But his game will, eventually, pan out as one where winning the ball, and laying it off will be his forte ... & if he can keep some mobility as well, then good luck to him.
That's more or less the impression I had though I cant claim to have seen him for long. He sounds potentially like a fairly complete competent central midfield player suited to playing in 442 or 451. Really is a shame he went off early last night. We are going to need him when they admit the Spearing deal has fallen through and tell us there is noone else.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:52 pm

just had a text to say his injury isn't too serious, no news on a return date just yet though
The Voice Of Reason

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:just had a text to say his injury isn't too serious, no news on a return date just yet though
That's good news, thanks ST. He did limp on for a few minutes but was in obvious distress. All the best to the lad.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:just had a text to say his injury isn't too serious, no news on a return date just yet though
That's good news, thanks ST. He did limp on for a few minutes but was in obvious distress. All the best to the lad.
Ditto, that's a relief.