Worthy's better class of transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Worthy's better class of transfer thread

Post by DJBlu » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:50 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Warnock would be great.But why the hell didnt he see the need for a left back earlier?
He always seem to take about 20 games longer to see what is obvious to the fans.

I think he may be a bit slow. :hang:
Tim Ream, Gregg Wylde, Joe Riley and Ricardo Gardner all featured for our under-21s in tonight's 2-1 Manc Senior Cup defeat at Stockport.

On trial?

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:56 am

Our need for a left back has been exaggerated. The only reason we're talking about this is because Ricketts hasn't played too well this season but he's still a very good player, better than Warnock. This is an issue with several in our team at the moment. Ream was good last season and now everyone seems to want to write him off. Bogdan played well plenty of times last season and he's started poor. Mark Davies is another.

The issue is either that all these players have suddenly become poor or it's something else. I think Ricketts, Ream, Bogdan, Davies and a few others are all good players but it's quite obviously not working right now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:28 am

Yeah, read the piece in the Mirror, Nixon talks about Warnock playing in midfield to cover Spearing and Andrews....

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:46 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:Our need for a left back has been exaggerated. The only reason we're talking about this is because Ricketts hasn't played too well this season but he's still a very good player, better than Warnock. This is an issue with several in our team at the moment. Ream was good last season and now everyone seems to want to write him off. Bogdan played well plenty of times last season and he's started poor. Mark Davies is another.

The issue is either that all these players have suddenly become poor or it's something else. I think Ricketts, Ream, Bogdan, Davies and a few others are all good players but it's quite obviously not working right now.

But if we had Warnock at left back, Ricketts could play right back. Or even centre back, in place of Matt Mills (who by all accounts has been shite so far this season).

Midnite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Midnite » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:48 am

dont think it's worth getting new players in till the managers position is sorted..the players we've got may do better under new management and they would probably want to bring in players they wanted and not ones OC chooses.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:58 am

Hmm...usually when a manager joins a new club it's full of players he hasn't personally signed or chosen.
If Warnock's available on loan, sign him i say.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:21 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Hmm...usually when a manager joins a new club it's full of players he hasn't personally signed or chosen.
But usually they're not punching so far below their weight. Are there really 34 squads better than ours in England?
Sponge wrote:But if we had Warnock at left back, Ricketts could play right back. Or even centre back
True. But then, equally true at Birmingham, where Ricketts sat on the bench all night.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:28 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Hmm...usually when a manager joins a new club it's full of players he hasn't personally signed or chosen.
But usually they're not punching so far below their weight. Are there really 34 squads better than ours in England?
Sponge wrote:But if we had Warnock at left back, Ricketts could play right back. Or even centre back
True. But then, equally true at Birmingham, where Ricketts sat on the bench all night.
At the moment, the answer to that is yes, er yes there are. Unfortunate but true. Come Sunday there might be only 28 squads better than ours.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
At the moment, the answer to that is yes, er yes there are. Unfortunate but true. Come Sunday there might be only 28 squads better than ours.
With respect, Leppo, I'd say you're confusing squad ability with league position. I don't think Norwich's squad is better than Liverpool's, or West Brom's better than Tottenham's, or Arsenal's better than Man City's.

Unless you mean there are 34 squads "playing better" [sic]. I wouldn't argue with that.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:56 pm

Again, the dangers of having a good 'on-paper' team / squad.

In such a cases, can you get a complacent / lazy manager as opposed to just being a plain bad one?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
With respect, Leppo, I'd say you're confusing squad ability with league position. I don't think Norwich's squad is better than Liverpool's, or West Brom's better than Tottenham's, or Arsenal's better than Man City's.

Unless you mean there are 34 squads "playing better" [sic]. I wouldn't argue with that.
The strength of the squad can only (in my opinion) be based on the points/position gained. There is (in my opinion) a direct correlation between where you are and how you are performing. If, say, Robin glass-ankles van-Persie is not playing due to glass ankle syndrome then you cannot (in my opinion) say he is positively contributing to the squad in a magical way just because if he was fit he would be a better player than most - being crocked he isn't (at that moment) a better player than most, and therefore does not contribute to the squad strength. Now (I can hear some say), the squad is not the team, and the team is picked by the manager, therefore you can have a better squad but a worse team. Which is true to a certain extent; it falls down insofar as, if each player trained/played to the best of his abilities then he would impress the manager and the manager should pick the best team, but if they didn't then they wouldn't and therefore although capable of playing better than somebody picked wouldn't be contributing to the squad strength. Squad strengths and team selection are also determined by how well the players gell and good players with big egos who (on paper) would be a superb squad aren't necessarily so because of the clashes of personality and therefore degrade squad strength just by being in the same squad. On this reasoning I am saying that League position is the only way of saying that one squad is better than another and yes at this very moment in time Norwich's squad is better than Liverpool's.
[I hope that came across as I meant it to and not just as garbled bollox!]
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:06 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Again, the dangers of having a good 'on-paper' team / squad.

In such a cases, can you get a complacent / lazy manager as opposed to just being a plain bad one?
It should be preferable to have a good squad and a shit manager than the other way round. Much easier to change the shit manager than replace an entire squad of overearning no-marks.

I don't think Coyle is lazy. I fear he may have been complacent. I reckon he's bad.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

The strength of the squad can only (in my opinion) be based on the points/position gained. There is (in my opinion) a direct correlation between where you are and how you are performing. If, say, Robin glass-ankles van-Persie is not playing due to glass ankle syndrome then you cannot (in my opinion) say he is positively contributing to the squad in a magical way just because if he was fit he would be a better player than most - being crocked he isn't (at that moment) a better player than most, and therefore does not contribute to the squad strength. Now (I can hear some say), the squad is not the team, and the team is picked by the manager, therefore you can have a better squad but a worse team. Which is true to a certain extent; it falls down insofar as, if each player trained/played to the best of his abilities then he would impress the manager and the manager should pick the best team, but if they didn't then they wouldn't and therefore although capable of playing better than somebody picked wouldn't be contributing to the squad strength. Squad strengths and team selection are also determined by how well the players gell and good players with big egos who (on paper) would be a superb squad aren't necessarily so because of the clashes of personality and therefore degrade squad strength just by being in the same squad. On this reasoning I am saying that League position is the only way of saying that one squad is better than another and yes at this very moment in time Norwich's squad is better than Liverpool's.
[I hope that came across as I meant it to and not just as garbled bollox!]
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Well, paragraph breaks and a re-read might have helped, but I know what you mean. :D

You look at squads on a purely meritocratic basis: they are as good as what they have achieved.

I look at squads on their potential, whether they're fulfilling, failing to fulfil or exceeding their potential.

Both ways have their merits, but I'd say your way is simple looking at the league table. Like saying that at the 1982 World Cup, Poland were better than Brazil... factually incontestable, but missing a little qualitative analysis.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Well, paragraph breaks and a re-read might have helped, but I know what you mean. :D

You look at squads on a purely meritocratic basis: they are as good as what they have achieved.

I look at squads on their potential, whether they're fulfilling, failing to fulfil or exceeding their potential.

Both ways have their merits, but I'd say your way is simple looking at the league table. Like saying that at the 1982 World Cup, Poland were better than Brazil... factually incontestable, but missing a little qualitative analysis.
Aye I'm a simple soul when it comes down to grading/rating something. I also apologise for the rushed nature of yon post but I'm doing four five things at once... in fact gotta go
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:38 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Again, the dangers of having a good 'on-paper' team / squad.

It should be preferable to have a good squad and a shit manager than the other way round. Much easier to change the shit manager than replace an entire squad of overearning no-marks.

I don't think Coyle is lazy. I fear he may have been complacent. I reckon he's bad.
Instaed we plumped for C) get rid of an entire squad of overearning no-marks and either dont replace them or replace them with championship standard shit 8)

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:15 am

legendary left back Paul Robinson has stunned the footballing world by agreeing a one month contract with Birmingham City, apparently.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:57 am

Well they did just lose 5-0 at home, obviously Robbo will go straight in there and tighten things up for them !

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:39 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Well they did just lose 5-0 at home, obviously Robbo will go straight in there and tighten things up for them !
I believe 5 is the number of goals the nottingham forest right winger scored against leeds in one of robbos first games there

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:45 pm

He also didn't turn up at a certain Wembley visit
Pfffft.