Missed Matches

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Missed Matches

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:59 pm

We've all talked about games that meant a great deal to us but what were the games you missed and would have given anything to be there?

I remember being heart broken that my Dad said I was too young to go to Everton in the 1977 League cup semi 1st leg. Particularly, when the following morning, even with my young eyes I could tell he was still buzzing.

I missed the promotion winning game at Wrexham due to other commitments, but earlier that season I thankfully missed Scarborough away when my brother had his 1st wedding.

Overall though, it would be City away when we won the Championship. I got up late on the day tickets were on sale and got to Burnden to see way more people than there were tickets available. I saw about 35 games that season but reduced to watching the highlights of that marvellous win on Granada still rankles :(
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Missed Matches

Post by jaffka » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:We've all talked about games that meant a great deal to us but what were the games you missed and would have given anything to be there?

I remember being heart broken that my Dad said I was too young to go to Everton in the 1977 League cup semi 1st leg. Particularly, when the following morning, even with my young eyes I could tell he was still buzzing.

I missed the promotion winning game at Wrexham due to other commitments, but earlier that season I thankfully missed Scarborough away when my brother had his 1st wedding.

Overall though, it would be City away when we won the Championship. I got up late on the day tickets were on sale and got to Burnden to see way more people than there were tickets available. I saw about 35 games that season but reduced to watching the highlights of that marvellous win on Granada still rankles :(
Although not really contributing to your thread, I was at that game and it was fantastic. Shat on the blue sh*t in their own back yard, Pollock winding up the Kippax. :pissed:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Ermm, West Ham away in the LC

Daughter was being born following morning

Didn't go to Besiktas or Lisbon

Thats about it
Sto ut Serviam

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:15 pm

Missed the play off final at Cardiff as my daughter was due that weekend.

She was born on the Saturday morning and I listened to the game on the radio on the Monday doing silent cheers as Mum and Child slept through the event. Gareth Farrelly you fecking beauty!!! :wink:

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:We've all talked about games that meant a great deal to us but what were the games you missed and would have given anything to be there?

I think I've recounted in another thread that the 2nd leg at Burnden was one of the most desolate evenings of my life. My Dad had bought tickets, we got into the Lever End (late), only for my Dad to decide that the crowd was so packed that it'd be unsafe for us to try and get any further than the top of the steps. So about we turned and jumped over the turnstiles to get out :shock: Spent the rest of the evening sat in my Dad's car waiting for a friend to return who we'd promised to give a lift home, without a radio, wondering what was going on. Grim doesn't start to describe it.
Hope is what keeps us going.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Reading play off final - on hols in Cornwall but I made sure everyone in the pub in St Ives knew about the result though the bit inbetween was rollercoaster...ish
Munich Uefa Cup - it was my daughter's birthday that day and I was off for a lads weekend in Dublin the following morning so opted for a stay at home that night
The Voice Of Reason

Seamus' good leg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Seamus' good leg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:11 pm

TORQUAY @ Wembley in the Sherpa/Freight Rover final. (I'd been down for our loss against Bristol City a couple of seasons earlier)
+every single time since the 70's that we've beaten Trafford United, I've missed it

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:40 pm

jaffka wrote:
Although not really contributing to your thread, I was at that game and it was fantastic. Shat on the blue sh*t in their own back yard, Pollock winding up the Kippax. :pissed:
I couldn't get a ticket either. Until I got one for the Main stand and watched it with father and daughter among, fortunately, reasonably pacific home fans.

At the end, after the Man City fans had mainly fecked off, and the Whites were still celebrating on the pitch, we discovered that about 10% of the Main stand were Trotters... :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:43 pm

The biggest pisser for me was Ryanair refusing four of us because we were two minutes late for the check in after a motorway holdup for the away trip to Guimaraes. For which we had a cottage on a vineyard booked for three nights as well! That was truly the pits...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:47 pm

I missed the Blackburn promotion match in 1978 as I had 2 Uni exams the next day. I'd have dipped the revision, but as it would finish at 10pm 7 I'd have to have got back to Leeds on public transport & daren't risk missing it.

I also missed the promotion match at Wrexham in 1988, despite living 400yds from the ground back then as my dad had died on the Thursday.

Now & again things have to take piority. Though I though GtE's "my daughter was being born" a bit weak.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:34 am

i didnt even know we'd beat united at old trafford (the second time) for a good 7 days at least.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:39 am

Europe pissed me off. I've been lucky with the Wanderers. By the time I was old enough to know what was going on it was the Colin Todd to Allardyce gravy train. Not as lucky as the jammy bastards a few years older who got the 100 goal season AND were then old enough that they had jobs and so could afford European trips. Not to mention going to a school were a fair few folks, not their own fault of course, were lucky enough to be my age AND have subsidised trips to Munich. Jealous is not close.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:26 am

FA Cup replay at Liverpool winning with goals from McGinley and Walker. It was a parents evening at school and as a senior member of staff I had to be there. Found out the following day the Head of Science had phoned in "sick" but had managed to "drag" himself to the game. Bugger !!!
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:34 am

I was gutted to not be able to go to the last match at Burnden. Had to make do with telly coverage down in London, which was admittedly pretty good. It held some fantastic memories and history and I was sad to not be able to say goodbye in person.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:40 am

I missed the "White Hot" Lerpool game too as I had to be in Newport due to some fckwit who worked for my Company who was putting in Grievancies & 'failures to agree' on an almost weekly basis.

I had & ticket & wasn't even able to palm it off onto anyone. So listened on the radio as I drove home, disliking the sort-arsed git more & more with each attack.

If anyone want's the guy's name, pay number & address drop me a pm as, nearly 20yrs later I can still remember them.

That cost the little fckr in the end !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:57 am

My mum and dad made me walk round a stupid National trust place the day of the '93 FA Cup final which we won. I was 12 and had a right strop with them. Stuffed the headphones in my ear, listened on the radio and refused to talk to anyone! :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:59 am

Arsenal away in the Cup, the one with Zico's disallowed goal. Had done most of the White Hots and a fair few aways that season but couldn't afford it.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:04 am

I had a ticket for the play-off semi final at Ipswich in 2000, the B***y K****t game.

couldn't go because my step fathers mother died, i didnt even know her but our mum wouldn't let us take her car!

step father was permanently offended by my 'cold heartedness' that night - folk were round mourning but i was in my room jumping around, swearing and screaming at the radio all night. they are not football people...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:46 am

I missed the play off final at Cardiff because I was required to turn up for an exam module in the morning even though it was a Sunday
Pfffft.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:58 am

Missed the first home game of the season against Charlton when we destroyed them 4-1 about 8 years ago for some bastard work induction. Other than that nothing really, always gone to every game I've wanted to!