Sordell ... what's the point ?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Sordell ... what's the point ?

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:49 pm

If you were Marvin Sordell, right now, would you be thinking it waas time to prepare to exit ?

I sure would.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Sordell ... what's the point ?

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 pm

In a word...no. We're still very early into a very long season. Last season was a travesty and I hope someone at the club apologised to the lad but hasn't he started 3 out of 5 of league games this season? (I could be wrong...)

I agree i'd like to see him and Ngog as the future strike partnership but atm I guess Kevo is having another of his indian summers and it would be a little foolish to tamper with one of the few positives to a poor start. Plus the fact that, rightly or wrongly, Davies is still the club captain and so maybe he does deserve a little extra clout at a time neither striker has really fire.

Annoyed, frustrated yes but I think preparing for the exit is very premature.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:29 pm

I was surprised to see N'Gog get the nod ahead of him today but SKD is playing too well at the moment not to be in the starting line up.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I was surprised to see N'Gog get the nod ahead of him today but SKD is playing too well at the moment not to be in the starting line up.
I was possibly more surprised to Afobe come on rather than Sordell when N'Gog pulled up. Very spatially unaware today was Gooner boy.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:43 pm

not that long ago people were saying Afobe was Mr magic!! now that's Sordell?? is there really that much to choose between them?

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:54 pm

thebish wrote:not that long ago people were saying Afobe was Mr magic!! now that's Sordell?? is there really that much to choose between them?
No there isn't. Which is why Sordell should play because he is our player and I would rather develop him over an Arsenal player.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:56 pm

ChrisC wrote:
thebish wrote:not that long ago people were saying Afobe was Mr magic!! now that's Sordell?? is there really that much to choose between them?
No there isn't. Which is why Sordell should play because he is our player and I would rather develop him over an Arsenal player.
hmmm.. I think there are plenty of games in the season - and both will get plenty of opportunity... hadn't sordell been away with the england tiddlers squad - or was i dreaming that?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:15 pm

It were the sub that got me. I get Davo starting - he's scoring...but whats afobe doing coming on? sordell scored in the last home league game.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Mybe coyle is just trying to make sordell hungry. It's classic man management. Sign a young player for a big fee then leave them on the bench for 6 months before picking a loanie reserve ahead of them.You should never underestimate coyles legendary manmanagement skills

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:43 pm

bobo the clown wrote:If you were Marvin Sordell, right now, would you be thinking it waas time to prepare to exit ?

I sure would.
the lack of away points might see him win this out.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:45 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Mybe coyle is just trying to make sordell hungry. It's classic man management. Sign a young player for a big fee then leave them on the bench for 6 months before picking a loanie reserve ahead of them.You should never underestimate coyles legendary manmanagement skills
Caps likes this
Sto ut Serviam

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:24 am

He's the only one who looks like he might score. Think a Mr Klasnic will tell you how that ends.

That said, tonight's not for bitching. We won, and I don't right now care how. Enjoy it. Might not happen so often!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

cecil.bob
Reliable
Reliable

Post by cecil.bob » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:11 am

Prufrock wrote:He's the only one who looks like he might score. Think a Mr Klasnic will tell you how that ends.

That said, tonight's not for bitching. We won, and I don't right now care how. Enjoy it. Might not happen so often!
Here's to hoping you're wrong... :pissed:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:14 am

If Sordell was good enough, he'd get in the side on a more consistent basis. He was always going to be behind Ngog and Davies (righty so, in my mind). Reason Afobe came on was to keep the 4-3-3 we had. Which worked well in the first half. But it worked well because we had two more defensive midfielders. Then he made that Pratley / Andrews sub. I shook my head.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:56 am

boltonboris wrote:If Sordell was good enough, he'd get in the side on a more consistent basis. He was always going to be behind Ngog and Davies (righty so, in my mind). Reason Afobe came on was to keep the 4-3-3 we had. Which worked well in the first half. But it worked well because we had two more defensive midfielders. Then he made that Pratley / Andrews sub. I shook my head.
I dont get how that wouldnt have happened with sordell coming on.

You can only assume that coyle believed Afobe was more likely to nick a goal. The reasoning was probably the same bringing on Pratley. You have to remember the OC mindset. When the team is struggling/under pressure bring players on who might nick a goal and create a winning margin even if in doing so it makes us more likely to concede.However if Andrews was poor and we had lost momentum there is only Pratley as an alternative unless Ream or Ricketts play there. For me I still think Alonso may be our other defensive midfielder but coyle still thinks he's a left back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:02 am

Prufrock wrote:He's the only one who looks like he might score.
is he? Davo HAS scored and didn't Afobe score a hat-trick?

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:39 am

So we have Sordell struggling for confidence and clearly anxious to get his first league goal. He promptly gets it with a really tidy finish from KD's cross. And what does Coyle do? SUBS HIM almost immediately! The most bizarre bit of man-management ever? Though god knows what goes on behind closed doors at the Reebok.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:32 am

50sQuiff wrote:So we have Sordell struggling for confidence and clearly anxious to get his first league goal. He promptly gets it with a really tidy finish from KD's cross. And what does Coyle do? SUBS HIM almost immediately! The most bizarre bit of man-management ever? Though god knows what goes on behind closed doors at the Reebok.
God might do :mrgreen:

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:40 am

Hoboh wrote:
50sQuiff wrote:So we have Sordell struggling for confidence and clearly anxious to get his first league goal. He promptly gets it with a really tidy finish from KD's cross. And what does Coyle do? SUBS HIM almost immediately! The most bizarre bit of man-management ever? Though god knows what goes on behind closed doors at the Reebok.
True. I imagine Owen's game plan revolves around hope, prayer and calls to the almighty. I'd be happier if he just gave Bruce Rioch a ring :)

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:26 am

50sQuiff wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
True. I imagine Owen's game plan revolves around hope, prayer and calls to the almighty. I'd be happier if he just gave Bruce Rioch a ring :)
Not for advice on how to defend a big half time lead against Watford I hope.