Now he's gone, who's next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to see replacing Owen Coyle?

Alan Curbishley
12%
Paolo di Canio
7%
Billy Davies
7%
Keith Hill
4%
Roy Keane
1%
Mick McCarthy
9%
Gary Neville
8%
A rising lower-league boss (eg Micky Mellon)
9%
BWFC legend (eg Hierro/Gudni/McGinlay)
8%
Someone from abroad (eg Solskjaer)
27%
Someone from within (LSL/Jiminho/Didsy/Zico)
2%
AN Other
6%

Total votes: 128

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Now he's gone, who's next?

Post by scotty » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:27 pm

BL3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:He's done a good job at Palace.
He's been there five minutes. Coyle had managed two clubs relatively successfully before he joined us. He'd also won promotion from the Championship. Freedman has overseen a decent run of about half a dozen games after losing the first three. If that's the benchmark, we might as well stick with the team currently in charge.
This.

Freedman would be a massive gamble. With everyone saying how important it is to get the right man this time, im not sure why you would go for someone with such little experience and who has yet to achieve anything as a manager.
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:29 pm

hi there, i'm chris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:Stick with Jiminiho till end of the season seems to be the way Gartside is maneuvering at the moment though, or that's the way it seems in the Bolton News reports
Ermmmm we've just made an official approach for another manager.....

I'd hardly say that suggests anything of the sort.
The approach was made on friday, so there is the possibility that Gartside could have had second thoughts after the match.
If that was the case, the club would hardly have made it public to the BN today.

Gartside knows Phillips and co very well, if he wanted to give them a chance he would have done so by now, not making approaches for other teams managers.

You don't change your mind based on one result or even a string of them.

He will know all the attributes they bring, but is clearly looking to bring someone in.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BL3 wrote:The people i've quoted are 'desperate for him to stay'. They're also realistic enough to wonder why someone who was under pressure in his own job three games into the season, is now being linked with another job. They're also questioning whether he has the experience for that job. Both reasonable questions in my opinion.
Absolutely are. I suppose the idea is that an experienced structure are ready made to support him.

I can't really see why he'd leave Palace at this stage unless there is more going on there than is in the public view...he's a hero down there.
These are all fair points. Of course he would be a risk but then whoever we appoint will be a risk.There's nothing wrong with giving Phillips et al time if it's clearly working. Phillips could be the next brenden rodgers for all we know,so could freedman or any one of a number of quietly effective managers outside the premiership.
Things I like about freedman are the fact he got an experienced man (lawrence ) in to support him.That suggests one of coyles major flaws isnt present for a start. He has turned a struggling side around, they appear to be motivated and well organised which is primarily down to his management given they were all over the place when he started.
If the board went for him you'd hope they would have made a lot of checks into how he works and what he is doing to generate success.Is it down to intelligent tactics and good organisation, is he flexible,is he capable of taking and using the advice of more experienced people, how has he responded within games when it's not working or when there has been a bad run. Is there clarity and logic in how he works/responds rather than relying on luck and arm waving.
It may well be too early in his career for him or us to take the risk but if he is being considered the boards job has to be to look a bit deeper than they appeared to have done(admittedly with hindsight) when appointing coyle.
They should be looking into these things with all the candidates anyway.
Taking souness for me would be a bigger risk, he's hardly famed for creating harmony and I dont think ruling by fear works anymore.McCarthy,well you'd back him to get us up but beyond that it's pretty sketchy, at wolves he always seemed to be very accepting that finishing one place above relegation was good enough and he'd want all his own lackys/yesmen. The 30 or 40 quote is a bit of a joke. Gartside will know who his main options are and I doubt they're in double figures.
We can only guess and look at results from the outside. The board will have their favourites but until they've really looked at what they are doing in depth , spoken to potential candidates I'd imagine it's pretty open.No one individual of those mentioned stands out as an obvious risk free choice.I dont think there can be such a thing.
It's totally understandable for people to want a proven manager with experience and a cv of repeated success but just who is this masked man? My guess is that those managers are already in work and arent available to come and manage bolton.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:44 pm

I can't see PG going with Jimmy until the end of the season and then bringing someone new in. It's all systems go for Jimmy or not at all. If we got promoted how shit would it be to tell Jimmy thanks for getting us promoted now sit back down and say hello to the new gaffer.

The team needs consistency now and whoever hopefully takes us up needs to lead us back in the premiership should we get back there.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:Stick with Jiminiho till end of the season seems to be the way Gartside is maneuvering at the moment though, or that's the way it seems in the Bolton News reports

The approach was made on friday, so there is the possibility that Gartside could have had second thoughts after the match.
If that was the case, the club would hardly have made it public to the BN today.

Gartside knows Phillips and co very well, if he wanted to give them a chance he would have done so by now, not making approaches for other teams managers.

He will know all the attributes they bring, but is clearly looking to bring someone in.
An approach has been made. It doesn't mean that Gartside will offer the job to Freedman. There's still the interview process. Gartside might not like what he hears from Freedman.

And of course he can change his mind based on a string of results. Hell, thats how Freedman got the Palace job in the first place.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

An approach has been made. It doesn't mean that Gartside will offer the job to Freedman. There's still the interview process. Gartside might not like what he hears from Freedman.

And of course he can change his mind based on a string of results. Hell, thats how Freedman got the Palace job in the first place.
That's very very naive. You don't go round making official approaches and tell the media, if you've not decided you want to appoint them.

Freedman will have been sounded out.

He can change his mind at any time of course, but given they've been working for the club a long time and we still are seemingly looking elsewhere...

Remember Phil Brown had a great record of 8 games or so as caretaker, but Gartside still brought Allardyce in.

Jimmy may be a nice lad, but Gartside will know if he's managerial material or not long term. Seems like at very best he would be short or medium term backup......

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Stick with Jiminiho till end of the season seems to be the way Gartside is maneuvering at the moment though, or that's the way it seems in the Bolton News reports

That's very very naive. You don't go round making official approaches and tell the media, if you've not decided you want to appoint them.

Freedman will have been sounded out.

He can change his mind at any time of course, but given they've been working for the club a long time and we still are seemingly looking elsewhere...

Remember Phil Brown had a great record of 8 games or so as caretaker, but Gartside still brought Allardyce in.

Jimmy may be a nice lad, but Gartside will know if he's managerial material or not long term. Seems like at very best he would be short or medium term backup......
I'm sorry, saying that an offical approach doesn't mean that he's automatically got the job is very very naive, yet an official approach automatically means he's got the job isn't also just an naive? Not sure I see the logic in that one.

I'm not saying Gartside will have definitely gone in an opposite direction, but my initial point was that the approach was made on friday, and since then we've had a match and there seems to be a lot of support behind Jimmy Phillips now, so there's every chance that Gartside has more than one train of thought since he's initial approach for Freedman.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Why would Gartside suddenly change his mind on one result?

I'm not saying he's definitely going to be appointed.

I'm saying if he wants to come and we can agree compo with Palace then he definitely will be.

We've spent two weeks assessing the situation and the candidates, and seemingly settled on a first choice.

I expect Freedman to stay at Palace cos he won't push for a move.

But if he wants to come here, he will.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:42 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
FaninOz wrote:Why would he leave Palace for us?? And don't say that because we are a "big" club and Palace aren't.

Can't see any footballing reasons!! They are sitting fourth in the Championsip and playing better football than us, it just doesnt make any footballing sense. :crazy: Mind we may pay him a bigger salary and money often talks!!

Acually don't now anything about him, have never heard him speak or even seen a photo of him, not sure that he's ever been to Oz (but then that's irrelevant I guess). So I have no idea if he is a good choice or not.
:doh:

There we go
Can't see his name mentioned in the list at the top of this thread, or seriously mentoned as a possibility in this thread by anyone prior to the recent announcement so so one assumes he is an inexperienced nonentity in relative terms!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:43 pm

We went shopping for Freedman as a player in the Rioch era but he chose Palace instead of us then. Wouldn't be the first time we've come home without him.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:04 pm

FaninOz wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
FaninOz wrote:Why would he leave Palace for us?? And don't say that because we are a "big" club and Palace aren't.

Can't see any footballing reasons!! They are sitting fourth in the Championsip and playing better football than us, it just doesnt make any footballing sense. :crazy: Mind we may pay him a bigger salary and money often talks!!

Acually don't now anything about him, have never heard him speak or even seen a photo of him, not sure that he's ever been to Oz (but then that's irrelevant I guess). So I have no idea if he is a good choice or not.
:doh:

There we go
Can't see his name mentioned in the list at the top of this thread, or seriously mentoned as a possibility in this thread by anyone prior to the recent announcement so so one assumes he is an inexperienced nonentity in relative terms!
Inexperienced yes nonentity hopefully not!
Wasnt really on the radar I suppose because he was already settled at a similar level club.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Right, my mind's made up. It has to be Jimmy Phillips for the job. Turns out he was born the same day as me and my mate Hristo Stoichkov.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:47 pm

:lol:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
If he hasn't their fans wouldn't be getting themselves worked up into a tizz over the fact he could go.

Keeping them up, taking them to a cup semi final and building a team that looks like it could be safely mid table this season, is surely a good job in the context of the administration before?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
The palace fans certainly think he's done a fantastic job there but what do they know? Some wanted him sacked after losing the first 3.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:45 pm

I get the feeling that Gartside is constantly searching for the next Allardyce. The problem is that for every manager with Allardyce's ability, there are any number who flatter to deceive.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:54 pm

BL3 wrote:I get the feeling that Gartside is constantly searching for the next Allardyce. The problem is that for every manager with Allardyce's ability, there are any number who flatter to deceive.
Well, tbh, so he should be.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Things I like about freedman are the fact he got an experienced man (lawrence ) in to support him.That suggests one of coyles major flaws isnt present for a start. He has turned a struggling side around, they appear to be motivated and well organised which is primarily down to his management given they were all over the place when he started.
They've conceded as many goals as Peterborough this season... and they're bottom.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:00 pm

BL3's got this covered.

:pray:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:14 pm

BL3 wrote:I get the feeling that Gartside is constantly searching for the next Allardyce. The problem is that for every manager with Allardyce's ability, there are any number who flatter to deceive.
Agreed. However if he is looking for someone with similar attributes then I guess he has toback his own judgement.

And let's not forget likelihood is that Eddie Davies has made the call on this.

I suppose Gartside can be accused of ignoring the obvious safe choices. Hughes was available when Megson went for example, like McCarthy is now.

Trouble is if he ignores the obvious for a gamble and gets it wrong we are in serious shit.

Coyle is the ultimate example of someone who on paper looked great but was all fur coat and no knickers.

I guess that's the risk you take. I'm surprised Eddie is up for a gamble again.