Now he's gone, who's next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to see replacing Owen Coyle?

Alan Curbishley
12%
Paolo di Canio
7%
Billy Davies
7%
Keith Hill
4%
Roy Keane
1%
Mick McCarthy
9%
Gary Neville
8%
A rising lower-league boss (eg Micky Mellon)
9%
BWFC legend (eg Hierro/Gudni/McGinlay)
8%
Someone from abroad (eg Solskjaer)
27%
Someone from within (LSL/Jiminho/Didsy/Zico)
2%
AN Other
6%

Total votes: 128

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Now he's gone, who's next?

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:47 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Gary Neville??? Is he really a contender? He's earning loads-a-wonga as a pundit supremo, why would he swap that?
Then again, I suppose the question being asked is "who would you like to see", so as you were; but he'd never be my choice purely from the smell of ManUre that still clings.
Wash your mouth out with soap n water and think before you type man :evil:
What? whatavidone? :?
Oops, sorry. I just saw Neville and the mist descended. I didn't read the rest properly. :oops:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:48 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Gary Neville??? Is he really a contender? He's earning loads-a-wonga as a pundit supremo, why would he swap that?
Then again, I suppose the question being asked is "who would you like to see", so as you were; but he'd never be my choice purely from the smell of ManUre that still clings.
Oops, sorry. I just saw Neville and the mist descended. I didn't read the rest properly. :oops:
:D He does that to me too.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:49 am

Have to be someone the players will respect.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:49 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
:D He does that to me too.
:mrgreen:
Some numpty is bound to pick him in the poll though

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:03 pm

There was a long discussion about Gary Neville the other week, so I thought I'd put him in there as he had plenty of proponents (and a fair few opponents).

I pondered Ian Holloway but I strongly doubt he would leave a club where he's very well regarded (and who are in a higher position) to go to a Lancashire rival. Yep, it happened with Coyle, but OC had ties to this club and Holloway doesn't. I would be very very surprised indeed if Holloway is a contender or even under consideration.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:There was a long discussion about Gary Neville the other week, so I thought I'd put him in there as he had plenty of proponents (and a fair few opponents).

I pondered Ian Holloway but I strongly doubt he would leave a club where he's very well regarded (and who are in a higher position) to go to a Lancashire rival. Yep, it happened with Coyle, but OC had ties to this club and Holloway doesn't. I would be very very surprised indeed if Holloway is a contender or even under consideration.
and quite apart from that - it would COST us in compo to drag him away - and the mood music is that we are skint!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:14 pm

I've included the option of a lower-league manager (and Keith Hill) as I think we might be able to afford that. But Blackpool and Palace would play hardball, even if their managers fancied it. Same goes for Brighton's Poyet and Hull's Bruce.

Some will insist on saying Redknapp despite the saggy-faced dick saying he won't manage in this division (or anywhere not drivable from Poole). I also doubt Rafa Benitez or Glenn Hoddle would give up their free time for us at the moment. Ray Wilkins, possibly, although he's not yet thrown hats into rings below the top flight. We have to remember where we are now: you get very little residual respect for 11 years of top-flight football when you're arsing around near the shit-chute to Division Three.

I forgot all about Alex McLeish, who's probably damaged goods after the last two years in the second city, and Steve Kean, who needs a holiday in a quiet place. Other names in the betting lists include Southgate, Phil Brown and Dean Holdsworth, whose Aldershot side have only won two of their first 10 fixtures.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I've included the option of a lower-league manager (and Keith Hill) as I think we might be able to afford that. But Blackpool and Palace would play hardball, even if their managers fancied it. Same goes for Brighton's Poyet and Hull's Bruce.

Some will insist on saying Redknapp despite the saggy-faced dick saying he won't manage in this division (or anywhere not drivable from Poole). I also doubt Rafa Benitez or Glenn Hoddle would give up their free time for us at the moment. Ray Wilkins, possibly, although he's not yet thrown hats into rings below the top flight. We have to remember where we are now: you get very little residual respect for 11 years of top-flight football when you're arsing around near the shit-chute to Division Three.

I forgot all about Alex McLeish, who's probably damaged goods after the last two years in the second city, and Steve Kean, who needs a holiday in a quiet place. Other names in the betting lists include Southgate, Phil Brown and Dean Holdsworth, whose Aldershot side have only won two of their first 10 fixtures.

can we ask Coyle back?? :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Out of those named above (and I know there were options to pick unnamed), I went for Curbs. Can't see it happening though. Even less likely, I think, is the prospect that Gartside would want to work with Roy Keane.

Would like to go for Poyet, but don't think he's see us as a forwards move, so abroad would work for me.

Who I think we'll end up with (as opposed to who I'd like to see) - Mick McCarthy or Alex McLeish.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Iain Dowie has just got a semi on.
Businesswoman of the year.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:21 pm

i'd draw parallels with mcleish to megson. in that the fans would take against him straight away. has a stigma of playing negative football which seems to probably be justified.

mccarthy would be solid if uninspiring.

not seeing anything else thats realistic, i guess the guy at barnsley via rochdale would be an interesting punt.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:23 pm

i still reckon we should use our 'Murican connections - Holden & Ream - and tempt over a 'Murican manager who is ready for the next step...

I know that nobody agreed with me last time I said it - but... surely it'd be tempting for5 someone over there who thinks he's hit a glass ceiling....

either that or an ace german!

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:24 pm

We've got limited options
- can't afford compensation, so noone currently in a job
- not in the Premiership, so overseas attraction difficult
- not much of a transfer kitty, so no "chequebook managers"

I'd probably go for Alan Curbishley, with Ray Wilkins as assistant, if they'd come up north.

Re: "BWFC Legends" - if the club has kept up good relations with them (although the manner in which some of them were let go means that might be a bit dicey), then would be good to see if any of them have done their coaching badges.

Bringing in someone like Campo as a coach on a short-term contract would add a touch of flair and be a fan favourite - and if it didn't work out, not a disaster.

Joggers Nipple
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Joggers Nipple » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Warren Joyce!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:30 pm

D'you know, I've got a funny feeling that our captain might be fast-tracked into getting his coaching badges. :?
Businesswoman of the year.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:37 pm

It's still Schteve Maclaren
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:38 pm

I would like Curbishley or Solskjaer but have a feeling we will go and steal Bruce from Hull.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:54 pm

thebish wrote:i still reckon we should use our 'Murican connections - Holden & Ream - and tempt over a 'Murican manager who is ready for the next step...

I know that nobody agreed with me last time I said it - but... surely it'd be tempting for5 someone over there who thinks he's hit a glass ceiling....

But seriously, any specific Germans in mind?
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:i still reckon we should use our 'Murican connections - Holden & Ream - and tempt over a 'Murican manager who is ready for the next step...

(Baron von Richthoven)

But seriously, any specific Germans in mind?
no! as i said elsewhere - I know next to nothing about the german league! but - they do seem to know what they are doing!! and I am a bit depressed by the names on the usual-suspects-merry-go-round...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Appointing by nationality?

Surprised at you Bish.

I'm not sure an unknown mixed record is any better than a known mixed record. And by mixed record you can say failure if you like.